1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatch lifts wimpy in cold weather

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by genalex, Feb 11, 2007.

1. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've noticed that the hatch lifts on my '05 become quite wimpy when temperatures are in the 20s. Won't lift all the way without manual help. (Whacked my head pretty good the first time, not expecting it to be hanging so low.)

Is this common? Should I claim replacements on my extended warantee policy?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    welcome to the world of science hehe.

the struts have gas inside. What happens to gas in cold weather?

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

same as the wife did with her car in 2004. Said just like you said "wacked my head a good one". Wait till summer and duck when the hatch goes wizzing by.

4. le diable

le diable Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    For the first time in a little over 2 years of ownership, I've noticed this a couple times myself. Unfortunately for me, it was <=10 degrees when I noticed.

It isn't nearly as bad as the gas shocks for the hood & hatch of my 88 Camaro. It's hood weighs a lot more than the Prius hatch, and it's shocks are completely shot, which makes doing something as simple as filling the washer fluid a royal pain in the rear unless you have a broom handle or length of 2x4 lying around. Or a hard head and strong neck, in which case you just rest the hood on your head, but I assure you that is far from comfortable!

5. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Feb 11 2007, 01:24 AM) [snapback]388335[/snapback]</div>
    Yeh. Thanks for the science lesson.

Been there and done that with an earlier, cheaper car. (1980 GM X-car)

But I had hoped with all the smarts the Toyota guys have put into the Prius, one of the junior engineers could have been assigned to design a temperature compensating strut.

6. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(genalex @ Feb 11 2007, 12:07 AM) [snapback]388311[/snapback]</div>
    I notice the same thing on my '06 when it goes below freezing (approx -10C or colder), and I know to a certain extent it is "normal".

However, I find often during these temperatures that not only is it heavier/tougher to lift but I hear a bit of a "moan" sound from the left side, almost like something is out of place (?). It's pretty tough to describe. Again, only happens in freezing temperatures, so it's not a big concern...

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Feb 11 2007, 07:03 AM) [snapback]388418[/snapback]</div>
    get some silicone grease and you don't need much, put a little dab on a clean cloth and open the hatch take a paper towel and wipe the lift rods clean then wipe them with the cloth with the grease. I don't recommend sprays like WD40 but the clear silicone grease from 3M. If all you have is WD40 you could use it but it tends to turn to brown gum after a while whereas the 3M stuff doesn't.

8. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Feb 11 2007, 01:35 PM) [snapback]388493[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Frank, I'll give that a try.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(genalex @ Feb 10 2007, 11:36 PM) [snapback]388356[/snapback]</div>
    I guess not? I'm sure they must've improved over the years?

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You could always change to more powerful gas struts, but then you'd run the risk of getting bashed in the face when the hatch would fly up in the summer... Change to winter struts when you put on your snow tires?

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Feb 12 2007, 12:42 AM) [snapback]388733[/snapback]</div>
    Bill, you're terrible!

So let's see if I have it figured out for my seasonal change for Winnipeg:

Fall:

- Change oil to 0W-20
    - Put on winter wiper blades
    - put on studded snow tires
    - put emergency survival kit and snowsuit in hatch
    - put winter rear hatch stuts on

Spring:

- Change oil to 0W-30
    - put on regular wiper blades
    - put stock wheels and "all season" tires back on
    - clean out hatch
    - put regular lift struts on

No wonder I'm hitting the bottle so much ...

Seriously, any car with the gas lift strut has the same problem in cold temps. It's kind of fun to go to a mall at -35 C and watch those poor housewives struggling to lift up the rear hatch of a minivan or suv, their arms full of packages, squalling kids bawling at them ... yeesh

12. member

member New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(genalex @ Feb 10 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]388311[/snapback]</div>
    I've seen it on every gas strut.

13. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Feb 11 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]388733[/snapback]</div>
    Or ensure the hatch opening person is short and it isn't an issue...I'm 5 feet nothing and my problem is reaching the hatch to close it at all...and remembering to yell "NOT THE SPOILER" when anyone else goes to close the hatch...My son bitched and moaned for months after we got the Pri about how high the door edges are, and how he had to remember to get out of the way...It's all about quirks, adjustments and attention.

I've all but forgotten how to drive a car that needs a key and doesn't have a back-up camera... :eek: