1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatch not opening fully

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by steve gerson, Feb 10, 2010.

1. steve gerson

steve gerson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The rear hatch door on my 2004 Prius will not open fully on its own, as it did originally. I open the hatch anticipating that it will go on its own to the full open position, but instead it stops before the last foot or so.

More than once I have reached in to get an item and when I move away, I bump my head on the not-fully-open hatch.

I haven't been able to find any information on how to lubricate the hatch strut. Is that possible, or do I need to replace the hatch struts?

Thanks.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The hatch struts are actually otherwise known as gas springs - they have compressed gas inside which provides the lifting force - as they get old, some of the gas escapes past the seals - you need to replace them when they don't have enough force to open the hatch all the way.

Haven't been there yet on the Prius; been there done that on my 97 Ford Explorer (hood and hatch)

3. ThePackage

ThePackage New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The struts are available on line for less than $40 each (compared to over a $100 ea at the dealer). I don't have a source but do a search.

4. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

Try a little WD40 on the shaft of the struts, it works for me. FishHawk

badriane likes this.
  5. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It might also help soften and swell the seals to prevent leakage. I used the same thing on my Alfa Romeo and it helped.