1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatch Release Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by salguod, Dec 25, 2013.

1. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm still getting used to the smart key system and I'm wondering if I stumbled on a problem or if that's how the SKS works.

It was cold (about 13 degrees F) so I decided to start the car so it can warm up a bit before we left for home. With key in pocket, I got in and pushed to power button. It came to ready mode fine and I got out with the key still in pocket. The car beeped in warning, as expected, but I've learned that it'll keep running even if I walk away.

I walked to the back to open the hatch (key still in pocket) and it wouldn't open. I went back to the car and verified that the doors were unlocked and tried again. Still no luck. I figured that maybe it's because the car was on, so I got back in and turned it off and tried again. Nothing. I took off my gloves. Nothing. Eventually, after trying several times and, I think, squeezing the hatch handle for a long time, it did open.

So, was this a SKS issue because I had the car running? Was it perhaps due to the cold? Was it an odd coincidence? I haven't had any issues really with it before, although it does seem to be a bit slower to respond at times than the front doors.

In the service history for the car, the rear lock assy was replaced last January because it was draining the battery. It does take a good slam to get it closed so the "door" light isn't on at times as well.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like the hatch lock needs adjusting, but how about your fob battery and the 12v?

3. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    When you got into the car, you only unlocked the driver's door. The three other doors and hatch are still locked. If you start the car and then press the back of the lock button on the driver's arm rest, the other three doors and hatch will unlock and you can get out of the car and open the hatch.

There's nothing wrong with your sks.

4. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I understand, but I had the key in my pocket so assumed that he hatch would unlock for me. I also then manually unlocked it at the door switch, as you described, and it still wouldn't open.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    When I first got my Prius, I was running into that problem all the time (hatch not opening with fob in my pocket). I finally learned that once the car is 'ready,' the hatch remains locked until you unlock it with the button on the driver's arm rest. The location of the fob doesn't matter! If it still won't open after rocking the lock/unlock button toward the back of the car, then the hatch switch probably needs replacing.

Do you have any problems opening the hatch when the car is off and all the doors are locked? In that scenario, opening the hatch will unlock all the doors. If all the doors unlock but you're still fighting with the hatch then you're dealing with a hatch lock problem. Maybe it just needs lube or adjustment.

7. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm going to have to play with it. I think a bad switch sounds plausible, but I'm not certain I have an ongoing issue or a fluke.

8. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I've noticed some cold weather hesitancy in my hatch switch as well. Although "cold weather" is a relative term for Arizona, it acts up mostly when getting down around freezing. I don't know what mechanicals lurk behind the rubber cover, but I can detect a spring-loaded feel in there that becomes "sticky" as the temperature decreases. There are threads in here about the rubber cover dissolving over time, or in hot weather which we have plenty of here. I would propose that some of the rubber material has come loose on the inside of the device and found its way into the switch, perhaps fouled the lubricant, and with a temperature drop has all be seized the mechanism. Just a theory though. If mine becomes inoperable I may delve into it further.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your final paragraph would lead me to believe that it's most likely an actual physical issue with your rear lock assembly at NOT a SKS issue.