1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatch Struts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by romad, Mar 23, 2012.

1. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After 7.5 years mine are weakening in that they do not open the hatch all the way. I can manually shove the hatch fully open and the struts will hold it (for now) but I have visions of one day they just give way while I'm leaning inside.

So are there suitable aftermarket struts available available from AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc., or are these another Toyota-only item?

2. redcoral

redcoral Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure those can be recharged (perhaps at the dealer). It's a common problem with hatchbacks and SUVs. Mine are beginning to get a bit weak, so I will be asking around soon.

Someone else on here can probably give you a more thorough answer.

3. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this is why I'm glad I don't have power seats or a power rear hatch, just one less thing to go wrong. instead of a $500 repair with a power hatch you are probably looking at around $50 for either the dealer to recharge the old struts or to buy new ones and throw them on yourself.

4. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad this came up - my hatch struts are starting to squeak and seem to be seizing up.

5. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    anybody ever figure out which model of Strong Arm Lift Supports the gen II Prius hatch needs? Advance Auto Parts lists 54 different lift supports by Strong Arm, I have my car entered but they don't give any as an "exact match" so I'm a little stumped, any help would be appreciated.