1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatchback door window rattle

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by wanaset, Sep 23, 2012.

1. wanaset

wanaset Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For the past couple of days I have been hearing a window rattle. It is hard to figure out where the rattle is coming from, but my guess would be the hatchback door. Has anyone had this issue? It only occurs when I am driving on a rough terrain with a lot of bumps.

2. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Could it be your license plate or plate holder? My car only had 2 top holes (I assume this is typical), so the bottom edge would rattle sometimes. I put rubber bumpers on it, and that helped.

3. wanaset

wanaset Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This seems plausable. The dealer only placed screws in the top 2 holes.

4. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The bottom of the license plate I put two pieces of the plastic 3M duel lock velcro. The stuff they use on the windshield Easy pass for the tolls. Works great and I can remove the plate anytime to clean behind there.

I like this solution better because now when I close the hatch the plate does not vibrate and make that awful twang noise.
    It now sounds quite and makes a very good, sturdy, thump sound. Doesn't sound cheap IMO.

5. wanaset

wanaset Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The rattle is gone after putting in the extra 2 screws. Thank you for your help, saved me a trip to the dealership.

6. pinkkitty724

pinkkitty724 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I didn't even know there were two more screws. I will have to look into this. Or, do the rubber bumper thing. :)

7. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How? There aren't holes on the bottom. You mean screws between a frame and the plate?
    BTW I am running no frame, just the plate and top two screws, not rattle. My experience is that frames cause rattles...

8. wanaset

wanaset Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, between the frame and license plate.