1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatchback latch broken

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sqwerty, Feb 28, 2010.

1. sqwerty

sqwerty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello the latch in my 2010 Prius is broken. The hatch wont latch closed, I cannot lock the vehicle, but worst of all is the beep beep beep when I drive above 5 mph. I went to my dealer today who said optimistically that the part should be in tuesday. Any suggestions on disabling the beep until I can get the latch replaced?

2. BlizzardJ

BlizzardJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't be driving it all especially when you mentioned the not locking issue. Having an unlocked car is an open invitation for thugs to help themselves to anything inside your car. Having it beep nonstop would probably make me want to drive it a cliff too.

I'd seriously go rent a car for a few days or ask the dealer for a loaner.

3. sqwerty

sqwerty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Neither of those are an option. I will leave nothing of value in it when I park.

So I reiterate my earlier question. Anybody have a suggestion on how to disable the beeping?

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Drive with the radio turned up real loud? I doubt a safety feature such as a beep when a door (rear hatch) is ajar could be easily disabled... Unless you find a way into tricking the switch in the rear hatch into thing the hatch is actually shut.

5. sqwerty

sqwerty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Yeah I can do that. but then the hatch is bouncing against the closed latch. In its broken state, it does grab the hasp, but not fully. If I close the latch completely with a screwdriver, the latch closes but the hasp bounces against it when I drive.

Oh well loud radio it is.

6. ABL

ABL Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can you temporally remove the fuse associated with the beeping door ajar or open circuit. Check your owners manual too see what other circuits this may effect?
    Jim

7. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    According to the 2006 wiring diagram, there is a switch on the latch that detects when the latch is open. Assuming the same design on the 2010, unplugging that switch should be equivalent to having the door closed. You'll have to remove enough paneling to get to the latch, and then just unplug the wiring that goes to it.

8. Joe Helfrich

Joe Helfrich New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thread Necro, but to add an answer here in case someone else has a similar problem:

I found this thread looking for info on how to remove the latch, since mine has been jammed. I was able to prevent the meeting by using a tie down .I put the hook through the loop on the hatchback, and the other on one of the tire tie downs, running the strap through the other tie down hook to make a triangle. I was able to tighten it enough that the door read as closed, though there was still a small oo ning

9. Joe Helfrich

Joe Helfrich New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ugh. Must remember to proofread better when typing on phone. 'meeting' = beeping, 'oo ning' = opening.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a useful edit feature, but it is only good for a few hours or something