1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatchback On the Prius 2 Help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by hookbill, Apr 24, 2011.

1. hookbill

hookbill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone. I'm a new Prius owner as of yesterday and the dealer is closed so I'm hoping someone can answer what's probably a basic question.

From the drivers seat is there not anything like a trunk release that will unlock that hatchback? Like if I go to the market they have people that will load your groceries. In my corolla I just popped the trunk. Is there any way to do that, because I can't figure it out? (Sorry if this is asked, I've spent 2 hours on google.)

Also, can you touch the hatch and have it open without having to push the lock button twice? I see something in the manual but I can't figure it out.

2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. No, sorry.

3. hookbill

hookbill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is the second thing that's kind of caught me off guard. I expected the CD player to be multi disk (No, I didn't ask). But these are things I can live with.

Thanks for the response.

4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you have the smart key system? If you do as long as the smart key is in your purse or pocket all you have to do is touch the rubber on the lift handle and it should open! That is how it works on the G2. Hal

5. hookbill

hookbill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Touch the rubber on the lift handle? No, I didn't try that. I saw the diagram in the owners manual but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. Do the doors need to be unlocked first? And yes, I have the smart ke.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something you may not have discovered yet is the handle to close the hatch. Instead of reaching up to the exterior, you can use the handle moulded into the inside. If you give it a quick tug and pull your arm out of the way, you should be able to close the hatch without reaching so far, or getting your hand dirty. Also, don't use the spoiler to push the hatch closed - it's not strong enough for that.

7. hookbill

hookbill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, I didn't notice that. Thanks.

I still can't figure out how to pen the hatch with the smart key. The only way I've been able to do it is push the open buttons twice on the smart key and then push the little rubber button.

What am I not getting guys, help me out. Seems to me that I should be able to walk up to it and unlock it without having to unlock anything else first.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have the smart key system, so I'm not an expert on that. But there's no mechanism I know of on the Prius that actually opens the hatch for you, like a trunk lid that pops up. You have to push the button to unlock it - or just be near it with the SKS - and then manually operate the door handle. At least, that's how mine works. How old-fashioned, eh? :rolleyes:

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While the Smart fob remains in your pocket, walk up to the hatch and press on the black rectangular release switch located within the license plate light fixture. Then the hatch lock should release so you can open the hatch.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think the #2 has the 3 door smart key system so the only way to open the hatch is the way you're doing it. maybe if you unlock all the doors with the key button while you're in the drivers seat, the bag boy can squeeze the hatch handle and it will open?

11. hookbill

hookbill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It has a smart entry key, but not for 3 doors. Driver side only. And I think you're right, because I've spent a long time trying today and there is nothing that works other then pressing twice on the key buttons and then pressing on the hatch handle.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm sure I'll be back for more

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Did you buy a 2011 Prius or some other model year? Some of the answers to your questions will depend on what you got.

You've posted in a gen 2 area which covers models years 04-09.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a lot of people have been disappointed that you don't get 3 door sks on the gen III's unless you pony up big time for pkg. IV. some new it ahead of time and chose not to spend the extra money, others were disappointed to find out after the purchase. some assumed it came on the low end package as did the gen II's. also, prius has never had the release button/lever at the drivers seat although it does come in handy sometimes.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's one for the hood, and another for the gas cap, so another cable wouldn't be all that difficult. Although, it would have to bend to accommodate the hatch in both the open and closed positions. Maybe a solenoid would be easier? A powered hatch, like a van's sliding door, could be dangerous in some situations - people might get eaten by their cars. :eek:

15. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    G2-FOB in pocket touch inside of handle and driver door opens. Touch inside of passenger door and all doors can be opened including the hatch. Touch inside of hatch handle and all doors can be opened. Sounds like the G3 may be different!

16. hookbill

hookbill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought this was for the Prius II!

Wow this is embarrassing. I moderate in 3 different Forums you would think I'd at least post in the correct area. I'll report the thread and ask a Mod to move it.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  18. FLteacher

FLteacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is a way to reprogram the FOB so when you touch the driver's door it will unlock all doors. Also, some members have successfully modded their cars to make them 3 door smart key like the earlier models.

You can find directions for both in the forums.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-passenger-door-1-door-sks-gen-iii-prius.html

As I've griped about many times, it's too bad that even though now 1 door SKS is now standard on all Priuses that one has go to model Four or above to get 3 door SKS. I really wish it were an option on models below Four. On the 2nd gen, the choices were 0 door (no) SKS or 3-door SKS.

When the Wayback machine goes back up, http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20.../toyota-announces-prices-for-2010-89249.aspx? might help the OP, other than the outdated prices.

2 people like this.
  20. hookbill

hookbill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, this is kind of interesting. This type of work is out of my league but it's interesting to see that it can be done.

When I told my wife today I was asking questions about my car in a Prius Forum her reaction was, "honey, please don't hack your new car.":D

This of course is not hacking I just found her comment amusing. But I think I'll live with things as they are. I'm getting my XM radio installed sometime this week, that's the only real modification I'm doing. In the meantime I'll be listening to my 24 gb of music I have in my computer via Amazon Cloud through my Droid 2 and using it as an mp3 player. I can't listen to commercial radio anymore.

Interesting forum you guys have here. Thanks for all the information.