1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Haters Beware: Sanity is Prevailing

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SageBrush, Jul 20, 2011.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    6 people like this.
  2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would hope it's only a matter of time until mandated discrimination is removed from the legal system.

Then again, judging by some of the comments accompanying the article, it seems we all have different ideas about what constitutes 'sanity'.

1 person likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This article is more than a year old. Since then, how much closer to the trashcan has DOMA moved?

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think it is moved away from the can. CA reversed, NY passed. Dont Ask Dont Tell has been repealed and close to being enforced.

Small progress is better than no progress.

5. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actual opposition to SSM fell to less than half the country a few months ago. Actual support for SSM is also still less than half the country, the balance being occupied by those who are indifferent or choose not to disclose their position.

Every trend shows an inexorable decline in opposition and increase in support, while the indifferent/coy crowd remains about the same size, so the next shoe to fall will be the actual support cohort topping more than half the country, a milestone perhaps as close as a year away, and most certainly less than five years away.

It's just a matter of the old bigots dying, and unprejudiced youth replacing their fossilized ranks, the same natural process that across the centuries steadily and inevitably continues to also erase slavery and racism.

6. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about that. Slavery and racism are primal and part of the natural order of things. Both have existed throughout recorded history. And the pro-homosexual and interracial mixing propaganda in modern western culture was brought up to full steam sometime towards the late 1980's and hasn't let off since. Before that, it was relatively patchy and predominately manifested in urban settings where the "community" had little power over the faceless collective, but since then it has permeated youth programming at all levels in all locales. Its just a matter of social engineering. No "right" or "wrong" about it and it has nothing to do with "sanity". As far as the 50-50 split, most people (meaning more than 50%) in my experience just don't generally care what a person does in their own bedroom, but that changes once it is put out there in their faces, in their kids' entertainment and educational environments.

7. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would tend to agree with that. Hard to be prejudice when you are dead, and young people in general are more tolerant on every issue and have been forever. That's where the grumpy old person in their rocking chair yelling at kids to get off their lawn comes from. :)

I think it may take more than 5 years unfortunately but I would love to be proven wrong.

"Patchy" as it relates to time all depends on perspective. If you choose the 1980's as the start then this very well just may be one of those "patches" where personal sexual orientation is more public than before. It is not that since 1980, more homosexual/transgender people have been born, it is just that more feel comfortable with themselves and realize they don't and shouldn't have to hide in that metaphoric closet.

Greeks and Romans had lots of homosexuality and that way predates 1980 by more than a couple thousand years. Maybe they didn't get the memo. :)

Because heterosexuals don't put kissing and sex in people's faces, kid's entertainment, and educational environments? If you don't see that correlation, then you are not part of the "don't care" crowd, you are part of the prejudiced crowd that is just not active. "I don't care what you do as long as I never see it if it doesn't agree with my beliefs".

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree 100%. We're talking about religion here, right?

9. caffeinekid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is the foundation of freedom- responsibility. It doesn't come free. You are free to do what you want, but there are natural limits to what others are willing to put up with (or should be required to put up with) and still include you in their communities. This IMO is the reason urban centers have such appeal to the otherwise unappealing. "You ignore my proclivities and I'll ignore yours" - Its a code of sorts. The problem is when you bring your "beliefs", whether they be lifestyle choices or otherwise into "my" community through alien organization, national edict or law.

And I was referring to the pro-homosexual/interacial-friendly propaganda in the modern context. It is ubiquitous and absolutely intentional. In a description- "social engineering".

Yeah.....that too. ;)

10. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think you realize how easy you have it. A picture of your girlfriend or wife on your desk at work goes completely unnoticed for you. A picture of a gay guy's partner is "out there in their faces". Much is taken for granted by any majority.

I think this kid will be fine, actually better off than most, to have these experiences as a kid:

1 person likes this.
  11. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You own a community? Cool. Where can I buy one?

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ???
    Did I miss something here?
    DADT has been dead for a while.
    I'm afraid I don't understand the "close to being enforced" part....
    Following the repeal of DADT, at least in the canoe club...there was mandatory, individually tracked, training on this issue, which amounted basically to one sentence.
    “Homosexuality is no longer incompatible with military service.”
    That’s it.
    No big deal really, except for lotsa folks outside the military.
    There have been gays in the military since General Washington’s chief-of-staff. All branches. Both of my submarines. All of my oceanographic survey ships. Both OEF/OIF deployments. All of my 31 years of active and reserve service.
    Like I said. No big deal.
    99.44 percent of the fur that’s flying about this issue is being lofted by a very tiny, but very vocal minority that’s waaaaaaay out on either extreme of this issue.
    Gay bashers and Gay activists, and neither of these are usually what you would call prime candidates for military life.

Normally I stay mute on this issue, since for me…..it’s a non-issue.
    However (comma!) When I hear comments…accurate or otherwise, about military policy, which is mandated by non-military NCA…..I perk up and pay attention.
    NCA.
    National Command Authority.
    That means that our policy is set by civilian authorities.
    I actually like it that way. (as if I had a choice! :D ) This is what separates us from a lot of countries ending in “stan.”
    Here’s the really cool part!!!---If you don’t like it, you have a GOD given, Constitutionally protected right to bitch about it ;)

1 person likes this.
  13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    More Legal Maneuvering in 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Repeal - NYTimes.com

Basically yes it was repealed. Then a stay was enacted that it can continue to be enforced while being phased out. Then that was ruled unconstitutional, and it was fully repealed, then the stay was enacted again.

Basically it is all a legal mess right now, but in a couple weeks it will finally be over with and actually repealed.

14. caffeinekid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bingo.

The way we are heading, within 100 years it will be the poor downtrodden pedophiles in the courts with the same arguments.

15. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh, I see. A relationship between two consenting adults is THE EXACT SAME as that between an adult and a child too young to understand the concept of consent.

Hmmm, interesting. How long have you held this view?

16. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow... Just wow... That is completely off base and extremely bigoted. Homosexuality is even on the same plane as paedophilia? Another reason to never texas.

17. caffeinekid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True. Age of consent laws are another matter entirely- rife with their own exceptions, conflicts and contradictions, however the point is that even though "we" consider pedophilia deviant now, the future is another matter. Not entirely a slippery slope argument, but close to it. There have been many adjustments in the norm over the last century- some through legitimate political discourse and public will, many through social engineering via corruption, propaganda and force- not all with the best consequences.

18. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With all due respect to the NYT... ("All the news that fits...we print!") DADT has been dead out here in the real world for a while.
    I'm pretty sure I would remember a "disregard our last order" on the subject. So....basically it's still a civilian goat-grab.
    Are there gay bashers in the military?
    Oh yeah.
    We have racists, and sexists too...but on balance I think that America...and indeed the world should be proud of the men and women who put the uniform on. Of course....I'm somewhat biased.
    90-something percent of our ranks are folks under 25...and most have some college, little or no criminal records, and none of the crap values that you read about in the news. I'll put them up against any similar sized group of 25 and under folks anywhere on the planet.
    Some folks in the past used the DT part of DADT to exercise their hatred of homosexuality. Others suddenly "discovered" that they were homosexual when confronted with orders sending them somewhere where they did not want to go.
    Crap happens.
    There's bad folks on both sides of the issue.
    However (comma!) I'm in middle level management, and my last instructions concerning DADT are that it's dead, and I'm obligated to treat all of my fellow service members with dignity and respect...just like I was when DADT was operative. The only one difference is that now...I'm not obligated to inform my boss that Joey Bagadoughnuts might be engaging in conduct that is not compatible with continued military service....something I managed not to have to do for the 31 years I've been in the canoe club, before, during, and after DADT.
    Like I said....with the exception of a very small, and very vocal minority...nothing much has changed.
    YMMV.... :D

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    "Slavery and racism are primal and part of the natural order of things."

As this post unfortunately demonstrates so well, intellect and insight are rare animals. Tolerance is society's acknowledgement that cooperation yields greater communal benefit than hatred, exploitation or domination.

Not always, not in every context, and the two have had a see-saw battle through history. In general though, exploitative hierarchies cannot match cooperative societies because they lose out on the human creative capital they harm.

Racists in tolerant societies like to think that 'natural order' has afforded them freedoms, when the truth is that society is simply gambling that through random mutation and DNA recombination some of their progeny will have a brain. Sometimes I think that above all else, the human condition is an exercise in irony.

Full disclosure: I am not L, B, G, or T, but I recognize the value of diversity and tolerance, and acknowledge that my personal gains are more luck and happenstance than anything else. In short, I am not a blind idiot.

20. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A correction to my last post:
    I caught a squib on NPR about my SECDEF and DADT, and it appears that there was indeed a stay on the policy's repeal. It wouldn't be the first time that word from on high didn't perk all the way down to the folks in the field.
    I haven't officially received any additional information to the NAVY's policy however, so Joey is still safe from me. I suppose there are some folks that are just dying to be the first openly gay inductee into one of the service's boot camps that are being impacted by the stay, but according to what I've just heard---their path to glory is only going to be temporarily delayed.

What can I say?
    Even NAVY Chiefs are wrong every now and again (shhhh! don't tell my troops! ;) ) and it wouldn't be the first time I've had to admit it in an open forum.
    I'm big enough to do that when I have to. :D