1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hauling a kayak

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by olddude, Feb 9, 2014.

1. olddude

olddude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am currently trying to downsize to one vehicle. I would like to keep my 2010 Prius and get rid of the Ranger for obvious reasons, but how do I haul the kayak? It's only a 10 ft about 60 lbs. Can I get a roof rack that I can take off when I am not using? From experience what is a good one. Can the Prius tow one of the tiny trailers used for a kayak. What's the best option? Or do I need to get rid of both and get a Rav4. I don't think I can tolerate the mpg of any other vehicle since the Prius has spoiled me. Thoughts????.

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Roof rack or trailer should be fine. Trailer would probably be kinder to MPGs, though, if you plan on driving far with the kayak.

3. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use a lockable Yakima rack. Easy to install and remove. I take one kayak and a 11 cubic ft. tote for camping equipment. I never leave the rack on when empty. H

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind do you have (kayak)?
    >>I think you probably want to go up top with it.
    short distances you can fit a 10-fter almost in with the lift gate ajar, and front seat laid back.
    One guy does that. Need to secure safely.
    A few folks with 9.5 fters get em inside the car. I put my 10-fter inside my minivan, but I'll have to put it up top later this year.

5. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it was me I'd be putting it up top

6. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have two 16'kayaks. A tadem and a single. The tandem weights about 75 lbs. It's a old town make. H