1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hauling lumber and driving with hatch open (annoying beeps)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kawita, Aug 15, 2009.

1. kawita

kawita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was hauling a few boards of lumber yesterday. I loaded them like the 9' 6" surfboard in this thread, http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/66747-96-surfboard-fits-2.html

I did have one board that was 12' long so I let a good foot hang out the back and bungeed the hatch closed from the inside.

I was pretty impressed with everything until driving home, the door ajar bell beeped constantly.

I thought in the future I could try to make a plug to go in the hatch latch to fool it into thinking it was closed.

Anyone have experience with getting rid of the beep?

I know the easy solution is to turn up the music:rockon:

2. kawita

kawita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Solved! Attached some pics as well.

I was looking at the latch pin and I decided it was pretty close to the key that used to unlock my spare tire on my clunker. So I stuck it in the hole and it latched in. I did have a moment of panic as when the latching pin took hold (you can see it in the 2nd pic) I thought I got that key stuck in there and I'd have to disassemble the back of the car to get it out, etc... Then I thought about it for 30 seconds, pressed the handle on the hatch and the key literally popped out of the hole.

I may cut this key down in size as the long end sticks out quite a bit, but there is an easy solution for those beeps. :)

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  3. hawkmoon77

hawkmoon77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You beat me to it. I was going to suggest a link from a chain. Available in any hardware store in various sizes and thicknesses.

4. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do you have to put anything in the lock? Can't the lock simply be closed on nothing?

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    that's the beautiful thing.. it will close-in on anything. if you get a piece of rope and put a loop-knot in the rope and toss the loop into that latch and push down, it Will close in on it.. then you can string it through the hatch's loop and pull down to tie.

you can fit anything 10 ft into a prius if you don't mind putting it on your dash. 8 ft is to the dash with the passenger seat down.

i work construction, i do this ALL THE TIME! hehehe i have a steel trailer too... for hauling trash and misc construction bits (concrete, roofing material, etc)

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    btw.. i don't really "recommend" it.. but on my GenII.. you can literally push the black latch down with your finger. keep your finger clear.. but it is possible to make it latch on itself by simply pulling the top "latch" over itself ( across then down in a sense...)

7. pst

pst New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is the first thing with my new Gen III that I find distressing. If this has been an issue with the Gen II's why did the engineers not fix it. Every other car I owned was engineered to stop the beeping .

I to was caught unaware and had the car fully loaded for moving my daughter to college. Ended up driving 1 hr with that beep as it was raining and we couldn't unpack and repack without soaking everything.

8. t_n_t

t_n_t New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the tips here and on another thread. We made a YouTube video illustrating our solution.

Hope it helps

Therese Rudolph, Onlooker and bisco like this.
  9. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about using a carabiner?

Attached Files:

10. t_n_t

t_n_t New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep. I added that to the comments- after I made the video and after I saw this thread. :)