1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hauling max (length) of the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AISpence, Oct 9, 2007.

1. AISpence

AISpence New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey guys, I remember some here were wondering what were the max hauling dimensions for the Prius. So, a few weeks ago I might have tried the fullest extent (lengthwise) when I bought a new cabinet for my garage. I can't say that I recommend this for everyone -I was pretty squashed against the dash on the drive home (somehow still had enough leg room to operate the petals). It was one of the few times I was happy to be only 5'1" :p .[attachmentid=11904]

The funniest thing about getting the cabinet was the reaction of the guys from Lowes who helped me load it in. When they first walked up to the car they were looking at each other and shaking their heads as if to say "There's no way." Then when the box slid in and I was able to shut the hatch door they looked thunderstruck, like they couldn't believe their own eyes! I wish I had a picture of their expressions! Talk about a picture worth a thousand words!! :rolleyes: [attachmentid=11901][attachmentid=11902][attachmentid=11903]

Attached Files:

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :blink: :blink: :blink:

Dang, I would not be able to fit in there even if I tried! Definitely a situation where being shorter is a plus.

3. ACORNBLUES

ACORNBLUES New Member

Have you thought of folding the front passenger seat down? (remove the head rest so it becomes level w/ the rear seat.

4. AISpence

AISpence New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Actually, looking at the measurements, there for the cabinet itself (duh!!). The box is actually bigger what with the packing...more like 75" long. I should have clarified. :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angelique @ Oct 9 2007, 01:26 AM) [snapback]522996[/snapback]</div>

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Now, if you could just figure out the limits of post formatting :p

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ACORNBLUES @ Oct 9 2007, 03:13 AM) [snapback]523031[/snapback]</div>
    The unit is 36" wide, but I don't think the box is. It looks like it would be pretty close if you tried to go over the passenger seat.

I've put in a couple 100" 2x10's and still closed the hatch by folding down the passenger seat and using the split back seat. There was still a good inch or two of room, so I bet 8.5 feet (102" or 259 cm) is the limit without going on top of the dashboard.

Hint: to get the passenger seat to fold down flat, move it all the way forward and take off the headrest and lean it back all the way. Then take off the headrest for the back seat and fold that down. They won't be perfectly flat, but pretty close. You can toss the headrests on the floor by the back seat since that area isn't being used.