1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hauling Stone Lions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bluebell, May 28, 2005.

1. Bluebell

Bluebell New Member

I am a spanking brand new Prius owner living in the Washington D.C. area. We want to buy two stone lions in Williamsburg (about 2 1/2 hours drive down I-95). They weigh 100 pounds each. Anything I should know about hauling heavy weights in a prius? Especially since I will be driving on a highway? I can take another car if that would be a better idea.

Thanks!

2. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

The Prius' cargo weight limit is about 800lbs. That includes all the people in the car. So, as long as you and any passengers you take don't exceed 600lbs, you'll be fine. The prius is front wheel drive, so I would shove the lions as far forward as possible, so you don't rotate weight of fhte front wheels. I woud also wrap them in a blanket or sheet so any rough edges can't snag the carpeting. And, most importantly, securely tie them down. 200lbs of rolling rock could do terrible thing to each other and the inside of the car.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    :iagree

Assuming you are talking about an 04-05 Prii . . .

Tie them lions down as best as you can. I would use some old heavy blankets and four or more mini ratcheting tie-down straps which you can buy at most auto parts stores, Sears, etc.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/336865_lg.gif

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't the Prius come with its own tie-down straps? Mine did. It's for the flat tyre but I guess it could be used to tie down cargo too.

5. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"93625)</div>
    Yes, but these are not adjustable. It makes it very difficult to properly secure heavy things. It's almost impossible to not leave slack, and slack gets things damaged.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A