1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have a gas fill-up question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Brian, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am away in Prescott Az, right now. I went to the gas station last night to fill it up. I wanted to get some range on this tank so when it clicked off, I wanted to add a little bit more in. So it clicked at about 7.305 gallons and so I pulled the nozzle out about an inch and then slowly pumped back in more fuel till it got to 9.104 gallons. I got a paper towel to hold under the nozzle just in case of any gas to come back up. Right when I pulled it out a good cup, to cup and a half, came back out and right on to all my rags. (I know, I just spilled, on my towels, 20,000 miles worth of emissions) So then I cleaned up the side of the car and thank goodness none went on the ground. The problem was, was that it kept, slowly, coming back up out of the tank, I had to put paper towels in there non-stop for like 5 min for it to soak up enough to put the lid on it.

The next morning I started out. The first bar seemed to stay lite for quite a long time, even with the hills on the way to Blithe. It wasn't till 177 miles on the Consumption screen that the first bar went out. I got kinda scared that it took so long. Then when I got to Blithe, about 20 min later, the second bar had went out.

I went in and wanted to get gas. At the pump, I started to add the fuel and it clicked, right away, as if the tank was being toped off, right when I started to fill, with 2 bars missing. I had to keep doing this, squeeze-click, not more than 1 second each time. After about 5 minutes I was able to get in 3.689 gallons. Then the rest of the trip, 200 miles, big hills, only took the 2 bars back again.

I drove mostly 80mph and was getting about 42 mpg the whole way.
    I really hope there isn't anything wrong with it. Something it might be, when I left Orange County, it was 56 degrees. When I got to Blithe, it was 102 degrees.
    SO the bladder might be affected with the rapid change in temp. Only took 2 hours to get to Blithe from O.C.
    Anyone else have this problem or know what it is? I am going to fill up in the morn. and let you know if it is still happening.
    -Brian Kane

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    everything you're experiencing is perfectly normal. The fuel "guage" always takes forever to read off the first marker. Then it goes pretty normal. I usualy drive at least 100 miles before it starts counting down. As for filling up. There are a lot of stations that don't seem to like pumping gas. Not sure what causes it.. but they keep clicking off all the time. I would recommend ( for a station that actualy works) to pump the gas as slowly as possible. It stretches the blatter a little better while filling. I used to use the first (slowest) notch on the auto fill mechanism. but i don't anymore. I would rather hold it just above the point that it wants to click off. Usualy i put in 9.5 gallons when i fill up. One time i almost put 10 gallons in. It's nice to have a car that goes the distance, pollutes minimal, and cost less than 20.00 to fill up. :mrgreen:

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Both the gasoline spit-back and the large available space above the "full" mark have been well documented on this and other discussion boards.

The spit-back appears to be caused because the nozzle forms a pretty fair seal at the entry to the tank, and the bladder stretches a bit, though some folks have also speculated about air bubbles.

Different prople have reported being able to get from a half a gallon to a gallon and a half (?) more gas in after the first click. I find that generally, after the first click, I cannot get any more in, no matter how gently I hold the pump handle.

But just be aware that if you add all the gas you possibly can, it WILL come back out at you.

Once, I filled up at a pump that just didn't shut off. I heard a slight gurgling noise, and before I could react, gas was coming out. I pulled out the nozzle and put the gas cap on as quickly as I could, losing maybe a cupful of gas onto the side of the car and the ground. I think I drove 177 miles before the first bar went out. (I cannot find my note.) I drove 501 miles on that tank, filling up with 9 gallons, 37 miles after the last bar started blinking. I'm convinced there was still room for another gallon, but even though I pulled the nozzle out and put it back in, the slightest touch of the handle made it click off again, and I was scared to risk it.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Simple lesson: DON'T top off the tank. It increases air pollution because it defeats the vapor recovery system, and it may spit gas back out at you.

I mean, c'mon people: we bought these things to *reduce air pollution*. They're not sports cars and they're not the world's least expensive cars. Isn't it enough to go 400 miles between fill-ups?

5. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Without topping off, I've driven 486 miles, filled with 10.6 gallons (again, NOT topping off), so essentially had 1 gallon of useable fuel left. That translates into an additional 50 miles to the very very dire need to fuel up again. I've driven the blinking lastbar and 'add fuel' message to 45 miles, still only re-fueling with 10.6 gallons. Plus no spit-back, no clogging of the vapor/pollution control devices, no worries! Win, win, and win. Don't top off. Don't need to, doesn't make sense to defeat the anti-polution mechanisms that make this a great car. I've printed several of my own bumper stickers, one of which says 'Low emmisions are standard, 50 MPG is a bonus'.

6. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw that "add fuel" message for the first time the other day. I only added 10 dollars though. Wish i would have filled it up to see how empy the tank really was.

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thinking ...... no. Round trip from home to Boston is about 450 miles. If things are going really well, I can probably make 425 in my Odyssey. The cheapest gas is ALMOST always one of the stations near my home. 100 miles from here to the N.H. border. Always end up getting gas in West Leb because I can't make it all the way home and the stations just off I/89 generally stick it to you because they can. I think 600 miles would be nice :) Plenty of cushion. Of course, IF you can hold 55 mpg for the tank and IF you could trust that there really ARE 11 useable gallons in the tank ...

8. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I find it interesting that we are the only people trying to drain our cars down to the last drop. This is probably because we know we can run on electric if we have to. I remember in my old car, i would never let it get as low as i do in the prius. :mrgreen:

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A correction to my above post: I drove 211 miles on the first bar after my over-fill (which as noted was NOT intentional). I found the correct number when someone bumped my old post up to the top.

10. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got back to from Chevron here in Prescott Valley and everything is ok. I was worried that it wouldn't want to take any gas, but it worked fine. It was one of those pumps that has the long silver shaft instead of the ones with that springy black cover thing that creates pressure, so with this one, I was able to hear and see when the gas was about to over flow. But thanks to everyone that helped, I was worried because I am not at home and being in the middle of the desert with out gas. :(

-Brian

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    lowest ive gone is 2 bars. and ive had 2 500+ mile tanks. so im happy with it. my Ford F-150 pickup with dual 18 gallon tanks had about the same range.

but that was about the only thing that was the same in that thing. i had to refinance my house to fill both tanks.

12. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    For the benefit of those that don't want to live close to the edge, this is what the "Add Fuel" warning looks like:

13. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Had the "add fuel" yesterday. Went to get gas, pump clicked off at a measily 6.3 gallons! I was able to nurse 2 more in before fuel started gurgling.

What I feel we're experiencing is trapped vapor, as when you allow it to gurgle, what you're really seeing is compressed vapor trying to push it's way back out. Once the gas is moved (sometimes violently), it's all vapor and bubbles that continues to escape.

This could explain why some try to fill up, click off at 6-8 gallons, drive around for a very short bit, and then fill again, to get 2-3 gallons more in.

I'm definately going to reiterate the 6 gallon fill to my dealer when the car goes back in. I'm sure they've heard it before, but being that mine's an "early car", and in my eyes, that it's "getting worse", it may be "useful information" to Toyota.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    when i took my car to all star ford for the paint sealer and fabric protection, i was talking to a mechanic friend who does all the work on my truck and he said that overfilling might be getting the filter canister wet causing it to not work properly and therefore not allowing it to vent correctly.

it is a common problem in fords and should go away in minor cases after a few fillups. he said topping off the tanks is a huge mistake in any car and will eventually cause premature failure of the fuel pump. he said that is the #1 cause of failure in Ford truck with dual tanks, either failure of the fuel pump or the electronic module that controls the switching mechanism.

he said he wasnt sure how the toyota's work but he says that the ford fuel tank specs are mostly controlled by government regs and ca standards and that most new cars are all be built to ca vapor emission standards because soon all states will require it in new cars anyway.

15. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now that I am back in SoCal, I haven't had any problems, probably just going from high 70's to low 100's was a problem with the "bladder". But something I have noticed was: Before my trip, I was only able to put in about 7 gallons on blinking bar, and about 310 miles. Now, about 9 gallons, blinking bar, and 400-410 miles. So it might have given it a "good" stretch into the right direction.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I never over-fill on purpose. But on the occasion when the pump didn't shut off and gas came burbling out, I drove 211 miles (as reported above) before the first bar went out. On my present tank, I filled the usual way (slowest notch, stop at first click) and I went 80 miles before the first bar went out. That's a difference of 131 miles. Since I've been getting 45 mpg, that means there is a space of 2.9 gallons between the click and the overflow. That's an awfully big difference!

BTW, at the end of the last tank, I drove 37 miles after the last bar started blinking, for a total of 501 miles on the over-filled tank, and then added 9 gallons to the first click.

So I figure I'd be safe to add another gallon, but even if I remove the nozzle and put it back in, I cannot add any more gas. The nozzle clicks off immediately no matter how gently I pull it.

17. clubmedic

clubmedic New Member

Just reading these old posts. They're almost painfully funny. I'm driving a borrowed Chrysler Conversion van (from my father-in-law) while I wait for my Prius to come in. It's got a 33-gallon tank. Costs me $60 to tank up! Gets about 11 miles to the gallon.

I REALLY can't wait for my Salsa Prius!

(mantra: 3 more weeks...3 more weeks...3 more weeks)