1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have an energy monitor in a/every car?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by priusist, Jan 17, 2005.

1. priusist

priusist New Member

As an engineer, I have been an efficient driver for a long time. I essentially broke the suggested MPG on my previous car. It is about 30 MPG for the 91 Acura Integra LS, but I used to have it about 30-32. My Prius seems to materialize my practice through its energy monitor. Like other prius owners, I'm fascinated in playing the MPG game/math.

I'm wondering that if every other cars has an energy monitor along with the speedometer, RPM reader, Gas/Temp meter, will that remind people to drive in a more efficient way? Without asking everyone to buy a hybrid or a car using alternative fuel, I guess this is a feasible way to consume fuel in a more sensible way.

2. techogurl

techogurl New Member

I feel that you have to be in the mindset to care. For example, I don't think everyone who buys a Prius really cares exactly how many MPG they get, but like the fact that it's better than what they drove before. So the same would go for other cars if a gauge were factory installed...some people would drive better and other people wouldn't even use it.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i sincerely believe that if i had had a real time energy monitor that it might have helped me... but not sure how. before the Prius i was driving a Ford F-150 pickup and it was costing me a fortune to put gas in it and i did everything i could think of the increase the mileage.

but to be honest with ya, i dont know if i was not keeping good enough records or what, but i saw very little difference...in fact, i guess i gained about ½ mpg.

now realize that previous mileage tracking was a few years ago and it was fairly accurate (was tracked for work over 30,000 miles)

dont know if time may have eroded the trucks ability to get good mileage or what... the truck still runs as good as it ever did... what it lacked in economy, it more than made up for in reliability.

4. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A great training mode for driving my 2005 Prius is owning a 1991 4Runner for 14 years. Projected fuel economy was 18 mpg. I consistently earned 23 to 25 and sometimes earned 29 mpg. There was also the high elevation Colorado winters down to -40*C where the care and driving of a vehicle is a nurturing art.

Despite the colder winter weather I consistently earn 49 to 53 mpg in the Prius (I just turned 4000 miles). On a field trip to the Pacific coast this weekend I encountered new Prius owners - they all said they earn 35 to 43 mpg. I then realized it is the 4Runner and Priuschat.com training - use the energy monitor to advantage, feather the accelerator, become one with the vehicle.

Every vehicle - conventional, diesel, hybrid and electric all benefit from immediate feedback. It is Toyota who has consistently taken ergonomics and feedback to a higher level.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Most car-buyers couldn't care less how much gas they burn. They holler for the government to keep the price low. But do you really think the typical American big-SUV-driver is going to change his/her driving habits to try to get mph up from 12 to 12.5?