1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

have to gush a little... and a question or two

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ramarren, Aug 14, 2006.

1. ramarren

ramarren New Member

Ok, so I only got the car on Friday night and have been so busy the past two days that I've only gone 190 miles in it... Yesterday I finally had the chance to actually be in it and drive a while.

I am so delighted!

One of the things I thought I was going to be dealing with was a bit of diminished carrying capacity ... I do photographic exhibitions and several times a year I have to carry 20 or more 16x20 inch framed photographs plus all the equipment necessary to do a gallery installation, which take up a lot of space. Yesterday I had one of my installations to do...

To my surprise, the Prius load area was capable of swallowing all the pieces, the bag of installation equipment, the rolling cart, and other miscellanea *without even flipping the rear seats down* !!! This shocked me. That's even better than my SUV did!

The quiet, smooth ride, excellent climate control, comfortable seats, great sound system all together made the 70 mile round trip flash by without a thought. AND according to the monitor, I achieved more than double the MPG of my previous vehicle (about 44.5 mpg) without even thinking about it or doing any special driving tricks. After 190 miles, I'm down about 1/4 tank on the gauge from full ... This is remarkable. The previous car had a bigger fuel tank (15 gallons) and would be down by about 3/4 tank at this mileage, I'd be looking to refill it in the next 30-40 miles at most.

This is more than impressive. It's fantastic! Now I understand why these cars are sold out with long waiting lists.

Now for my questions:

On the road it seems to wander a little bit and the steering wheel is slightly turned to the left when driving dead straight on level roads. I presume this is just a minor alignment adjustment. Anyone else had one behave like this?

Is there any way to turn off the display from the steering wheel? I would really like to be able to check the consumption chart and then turn it off again without having to reach over to the display button and then hit the 'screen off' button as it is a little distracting from time to time.

Similarly, is there any way to have the system remember my non-auto climate control settings when I cycle it from off to on with the steering wheel buttons? I find the Auto setting runs the fan higher and longer than I feel necessary and usually end up going to the Climate screen to knock it down to low before the system does, it would be nice to make that the default.

Overall, I have to say that I'm utterly delighted with the car and glad I went for it. It cost me a bit but I think overall it will reduce my vehicle expenses substantially as well as support my notions of environmental consciousness.

Godfrey
    --- it's name is "Heart of Gold" - A spacecraft with the fabulous Improbability Drive ---

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you need the alignment checked...many of us found that, upon delivery, we had too much toe in. It should be covered under the 12mo/12k mile 'adjustment period'.

No way to turn off the display from the steering wheel. Most of us just get used to the display being on.

The climate control is funky...I suggest just leaving it on Auto...the fan runs hard, but will slow down fairly quicly. Alternatively, from the steering wheel, just adjust the temp setting up to around 80 or so, that usually settles down the fan speed, then you can slowly adjust down to your desired temp.

When I know I won't need/want the AC to run (parking at night, cool morning next drive) I'll turn the AC off, set the fan speed where I want, etc.

Glad you're so satisfied, it's a wonderful car.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  4. ramarren

ramarren New Member

Thanks for your comments.

It's unfortunate that the climate control defaults and the screen off control cannot be done, but it is just a minor inconvenience. :)

Regards the steering question:

Since the car is brand new, I don't think I need tires any time soon but it's good to know what the options are. I'm not sure about running such high tire pressures ... Steering feel means a lot to me and I have only rarely found that running much more than 2psi over recommended tire pressures does anything particularly advantageous in normal operation on the road, but it kills the steering feel and makes the car feel like it's skating on ice.

Interesting page on suspension alignment, a good presentation overall. I'm fairly cognizant of what it's all about and how it works from several years of being a mechanic and hanging around the race tracks ... although that's fading into the far distant past now. I'm off to check tire pressures and be sure it's set up correctly this morning, then I'll evaluate the steering and wander again. If it still wanders and the wheel is still slightly crooked, I'll have the dealer do an alignment. I was really more interested in people's consensus of how the car is supposed to feel, as it's very new to me... :)

There's an excellent tire/alignment shop a block from my apartment that I know the dealership uses, they've done customized suspension work for me before, so if worse came to worse I'd just bring it to them and have it adjusted to my specifications.

thanks again! It is a wonderful car, I'm very happy with it. Nothing I've mentioned here is anything other than normal "new car sorting out" stuff.

Godfrey

5. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godfrey DiGiorgi @ Aug 14 2006, 07:04 AM) [snapback]302967[/snapback]</div>
    Uhoh...Better watch yourself Godfrey...You already show signs of cult-ish behavior by naming your car after something from H2G2...Now you have joined PriusChat, where many of us hang out while our SOs try to figure out how to deprogram us... :rolleyes:

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You may want to do a search on the BT brace. Several people have gotten it and are happy with how the Prius behaves with it installed.

7. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Apparently it's fairly common for the Prius to be delivered out of alignment. They're tied down for the trip to the dealer, and that often yanks the suspension a bit off.

8. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godfrey DiGiorgi @ Aug 14 2006, 09:04 AM) [snapback]302967[/snapback]</div>
    You can use a voice command. Just press the Voice Command button on your steering wheel and say, "Screen Off."

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Make sure you get your HOV stickers and that your Prius is licensed in every state. Once you engage your improbability drive, you'll be in all places at the same time which will most certainly violate many laws in multiple states. And if you don't mind momentarily being a couch, then there's no worries. Don't forget your wicket!

Welcome to PriusChat!! :D

10. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

When we have coffee, I'll let you try my Prius with Goodyear Comfortred tires and the BT Brace. I think the handling is improved. But I agree get your alignment sorted out first. Then dump those crappy GY Integrity tires. Maybe you can get a decent trade in if you have <400 or 500 miles. I dumped mine at 700 or so. Sold 'em on craigslist.

11. ramarren

ramarren New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Aug 14 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]303084[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting! I was unable to get that to work though ... Do I need to register my phone first? I haven't set up the hands free stuff yet.

Godfrey

12. ramarren

ramarren New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Aug 14 2006, 07:03 PM) [snapback]303293[/snapback]</div>
    I checked tire pressure and found that the tires, all four, were pumped up to over 40psi. Dropping the pressures to 36/34 made the steering feel better, but the wheel is still crooked. They're going to take care of the alignment on Wednesday morning.

The BT Brace sounds interesting. Sometimes these kinds of small things work wonders, sometimes what you "feel" is a placebo effect. For instance, on my '92 Ducati 900SS I always felt it was a little "loose" at the limits. A machinist friend of mine, also a Ducati enthusiast, made a set of much closer tolerance engine bolts. We fitted them as an experiment ... and they DEFINITELY worked well: the whole bike felt tighter, more sure footed. . The difference in the fit was about 0.002" and the steel he used was a better grade than the stock bolts ...

So mayhap I go for one. :)

Godfrey

13. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godfrey DiGiorgi @ Aug 14 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]303361[/snapback]</div>
    Keep practicing! You don't need your Bluetooth phone paired for voice commands to work. She's a bit hard of hearing, and it's rather amusing the mistakes she makes, but "Screen Off!" usually works well. It's also fun when a passenger is just too engrossed with the MFD. You might also practice "72 Degrees", or any temperature that's comfortable. Look in the KB (I think) for a list of voice commands.

The BT Tech plate works, and better tires do too, but neither will cure an alignment problem, I'm glad you're getting that fixed. BTW, if the back end is out, Toyota officially says it can't be fixed and may want to replace your rear axel. They lie. The rear can be shimmed, though the material may be hard to find. If you have that problem, ask Tumbleweed or Galaxee about it.

14. captnslur

captnslur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd like to add another view of the twitchy steering-needs an alignment discussion.

I, too, had that "seems to wander all over the road" concern whith our first Prius-we had an '04 and now we have an '06 with the same "problem".

What I have found is that the steering system on the PriusII is so tight-there is not the play that many of us are used to in conventional cars.

We have had a '92 Passat and now an '02 Honda CRV along with the Prius and the Prius steering is just very tight. On the Passat we could turn the steering wheel up to a half an inch before the car would start to react and with he CRV there is easily a quarter inch of play. Certainly not very much by any standard, but the Prius has essentially ZERO play and you will notice if you just turn the wheel an eighth of an inch the car will respond.

Check that out and see if the car does the wandering or if the driver is doing the wandering.

15. ramarren

ramarren New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Aug 14 2006, 11:26 PM) [snapback]303396[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm. I'll try again today. What is the "KB" ?? And where in the Owners Manual are the voice control features listed? I had a difficult time finding anything.

thanks again!

Godfrey

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(captnslur @ Aug 15 2006, 08:36 AM) [snapback]303524[/snapback]</div>
    :) Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm used to driving sports cars with very high sensitive steering ... my Alfa Romeo Spider and Toyota MR2 ... so I am used to cars that move with the barest light touch on the steering. That's not it in the case of the Prius 'wander".

Resetting the tire pressures to closer to factory recommendation (36/34) improved the steering feel and reduced the sense of wandering, at least to my perception. Better tires would probably improve it yet again but I'm a little ambivalent about spending the time and money to change tires on a brand new car. I think I'd rather put that money into buying the BT Plate and the Platinum Coverage extended warranty, use these tires up and fit better ones when I've gotten the value out of them.

Of course, test driving Joe's car might change my opinion on that... ;-)

Godfrey

16. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godfrey DiGiorgi @ Aug 15 2006, 09:06 AM) [snapback]303534[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, it will -- I can almost promise that!
    :lol:

17. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Aug 14 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]303084[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! Yes - this worked first time on my 2005 in the UK. Thanks for the info. Small tips like this are one of the big advanges of visiting PriusChat.

I tried "Screen on" too but it didn't work. To put it on again just hit "info" key on the left of the screen.

18. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Godfrey: Welcome to the Prius club! You asked about climate control and fan speeds. The AC system in the Prius is a kind of double system "hot and cold". You set a desired temperature, using either the steering wheel button or the screen, and the system will either heat or cool the car until the inside temperature reaches that point. If you get into your car on a hot day, it might be almost 100 degrees inside. If you set your desired temperature at, say, 69 degrees, the fans will run full bore because there is a 31 degree difference between the existing cabin temp and that which you selected. If you want to slow the fan speed down, simply raise the desired temperature so that the temperature spread isn't as great. The AC will slow the fan speed down, but will still run automatically.

According to other more knowlegeable posters on this chat line, if you select "climate" on the screen and use the screen buttons to change the fan speed, you will be interrupting the automatic function of the AC, causing it to work harder or not as efficiently.

It was also mentioned that you should leave the AC on automatic all the time and use the temperature button on the steering wheel to govern its use. The main NiH battery lives under the cargo floor, behind the back seat, and will be at the same temperature as the cabin. Using the AC keeps that battery cooler and allows it to operate more efficiently.

When I first get into my car on a hot day, I lower all four windows momentarily to allow some of the overheated air to escape. After I get moving, I raise the windows and rely on the AC to regulate the temperature. You lose more mileage in drag with the windows down than you do with the AC on and the windows up. The AC in the Prius runs off an electric motor and doesn't draw power from the gas engine. It will draw energy from the NiH battery which the generator will need to replace, but overall, the system is much more efficient mechanically than a standard compressor driven by belts off the engine crankshaft.

Good luck, keep us posted.
    Bob in Seattle

19. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hi Godfrey --

From what I understand, the only voice commands you will be able to use without a Nav system are the voice commands associated with your cell phone. (your profile says that you have a Package 6)

If I'm wrong, someone please let me know!

Bryan

20. ramarren

ramarren New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bps @ Aug 15 2006, 03:59 PM) [snapback]303784[/snapback]</div>
    thanks ... that is most likely the issue. I didn't want the nav system, more precisely, didn't feel the need to pay for the nav system... ;-)

Godfrey