1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have to hit back key twice?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by kpauley, Oct 26, 2005.

1. kpauley

kpauley New Member

When browsing the forums (for example, looking at the Posts Since Last Visits view), when I cick on a topic to view it will bring up the web page with the topic thread. When I hit the back key to go back to the Posts Since Last Visit view, I have to hit the back key twice to get it to go back. I have seen this on multiple computers, using Windows XP and IE.

Anyone else experience this and know why it happens? Not a big deal, but it would save a click!

Ken

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This started with the change to the new software after the crash that lost all the old posts.

3. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Appears to be the way it is. I'm just getting used to it. Not really a big deal.

4. kpauley

kpauley New Member

I think I see what it is. There is the Ads By Google section in between the first post and the replies. When you first go to that you can see the window for the Ads, and right behind it you will see some black text. When you hit back the first time, the black text behind that red window goes away, then you hit back again and you move on.

So I'm thinking it has something to do with those Google ads, maybe there is some extra code in there.

Who manages that?

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

No double click using Foxfire

6. RonM

RonM New Member

I actually have two Windows XP computers, both with the same version of IE, and on one it takes two clicks, but on the other its only a single click...

7. kpauley

kpauley New Member

Here is a shot of what I am seeing. Before you hit the back key the first time, look real closely behind the ad image, you'll see some text. I have not tried it with FireFox yet to see if you see that or not, it's probably a Windows thing.....

8. kpauley

kpauley New Member

So I loaded up Firefox on this computer, problem doesn't exist there, so it's something that is turned on in IE that is not in Firefox which makes this apparent. I think it has something to do with the Google Ad code. I thought it was a Java issue, loaded up Sun Java as well to see if that made a difference, no luck. Tried messing with the security settings as well.

When I right click just above the ad where it looks like you can see the error, I go to the properties and see this reference:

res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/http_400.htm#http://pagead2.googlesyndication.co...aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-420&u_his=4&u_java=true

I have no idea what this means :blink:

Anyone have an ideas? I was going to PM Danny and point him to this thread to see if he knows.

Ken

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey guys -

Sorry for my late jump into this thread, but yet, Ken, I think you have narrowed it down correctly. I've noticed when using IE it brought up that "Page Not Found" error within the Google Ads. Not 100% sure why it does that - guess it's just another reason to use Firefox :)

10. kpauley

kpauley New Member

I'm assuming there are some other sites using those ads, might be interesting to see if the problem exists there too? Maybe it's a combination of how it is used with the board software? I wouldn't think that Google ad's would have this problem as a whole with IE, too big of an install base to piss off....

11. kpauley

kpauley New Member

I see that PriusOnline uses the same Google ads, but they do not have this issue. Danny, any chance there is something up with the way the code is inserted into this site?

12. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like the problem is fixed. A single click works this morning!

Did you do this Danny?

13. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has to be some sort of IE setting that makes it require two clicks.

As someone stated, with 2 computers using the same version of IE, one took 1 click and the other 2. I also use multiple computers and the only one that always takes 2 is my system with IE 7 Beta. I figured it was just due to that, but seeing that others have the issue, it must be something else.

14. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have 6.0 and from the new site software change until today it required 2 clicks but for some reason today it only takes 1? No changes to my computer, in fact I never turned my machine off.

15. kpauley

kpauley New Member

Confirming here, one click now. Something changed. If you look at the Google ad, that text that was behind it is gone.

Ken