1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have transmission issues and P3125 code

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by B4CDriver, Feb 21, 2013.

1. B4CDriver

B4CDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I managed to get the 2003 Prius running that was having issues. It is having some misfire issues, but I'll worry about that later. I put the car in D, and it moved forward, but wouldn't really go above 5mph. I put it in R, and uh oh. The square around the R started flashing, check engine light, and the car would not move even at full throttle. The code I read was P3125, Inverter Internal Short. Did some research online, and I found some vehicles had this code and needed an inverter. Others had a problem with the stator in the transmission. The dreaded TRIANGLE ! is also on. Is there a chance it's just the transmission? I have a 2001 so I could do some parts swapping if necessary to troubleshoot.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, we do not have enough information:
    • what subcode? A Prius-aware scanner can report the nearly three dozen subcodes that will help us understand the particular failure. It could be as simple as simple as a loose connector but without the subcodes, it becomes harder.
    • you will find a detailed list of the subcodes and affected systems in Volume 1 of your copy of the NHW11 shop manual. About 20 pages, a little too much to post here.
    • what are the 19 module pair voltages?
    • when the engine runs, does it charge the traction battery? How many amps?
    Getting the engine to run, even roughly, is a good start. Use your Prius aware scanner to get the rest of the data and follow the good advice in Volume 1 of the 2001-03 Prius shop manual. You'll be OK.

Bob Wilson

3. B4CDriver

B4CDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
  4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Out of that list of problems, there's at least one thing not to worry about. The square around R always flashes. :)

-Chap

(Oh, wait. Did you say "square"? Mine has, like, rounded corners. Your combination meter needs replacement. :D )

6. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I would fix my engine missfire first,it should give you a code of which cylinder it is. After you get the engine running good than I would tackle the p3125 code. Its a whole lot more easy to replace an ignition coil and get the engine running good , "if its the coil"than to deal with a trans. or invertor. Its cheaper too.....just my 2 cents worth.