1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have you ever gotten a 0 MPG Bar?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mssmith95, Mar 9, 2006.

1. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    How about this one!

Yesterday, I came down a big decline, and the battery showed a full charge. Traffic was pretty heavy once the road flattened out, but was still maintaining around a 20mph pace. So I switched into EV mode (Coastal tech mod), and by pulse and gliding, I was able to go 3-4 miles in EV mode, and still had 5 or 6 bars on the battery.

Here is where it got weird! For that 5 minute period on the Consumption Graph, it showed 0 MPG! It was just blank, with the exception of 2 1/2 little charging cars. Unfortunately, I do not know if this effected the Average MGG because I was on the Energy screen while in EV mode.

Anyone every had this happen before?

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have an '06? I seem to remember reading something here about a bug with the '06 where it will sometimes display a 0 MPG bar. I don't remember the exact conditions, but I remember people agreeing that it was some kind of bug.

For me (in my '05), the only time I've seen a 0 MPG bar is when, for example, I've been sitting in a parking lot (i.e. not traveling) with the heat on (and, therefore the ICE on). So, in that case, it's correct.

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How are you "pulsing and gliding" in EV mode? That makes no
    sense, since "pulse" is all about how to run the engine.
    _H*

4. jeneric

jeneric New Member

5. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hobbit - You are right about the pulse and glide terminology. I was trying to best descibe speeding up using EV mode and then letting off the pedal, therefore recharching as I drove, extending the length of time I could drive in EV mode (well past the 2 mile estimate I have heard before).

Is there a term for this? I could call it the "electric glide"!

Betelgeuse - Yes I do have a 2006.

Jeneric - Good photo, mine is attached...difficult to take a clear one at night!

P.S. Duplicated it today...but this time I watched the Average MPG and it was going up during the 0 MPG bar...so it appears the glitch only effects the bar.

[attachmentid=2503]

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have had zero bars before but that usually happened when getting fast food at the drive thru... i figured getting those zero bars was the Prius' Gods method of punishing me for eating so poorly.

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If the ICE is prevented from starting, as in EV mode – then yes, zero miles per gallon makes sense. If you use no gas at all during the EV time period, how can you have any miles per gallon? Adding infinity into the equation for “average fuel consumption†would really skew the average to somewhere even a supercomputer couldn't calculate.

Just a hunch, but I bet it does the same thing in neutral.

Now if your average MPG decreases because of EV mode, then you've go a problem.

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Problem is... this will net you fewer miles. IN EV mode, slow and steady wins the race. Each time you slow down with regen, you're still throwing away the majority of your kenetic energy - only a small portion is actually captured and returned to charge the battery. The best EVs can reclaim about 50% with regen, the Prius can't manage anything near that, I'm afraid. In a perfect world, the Prius would allow you to coast when your foot was off the throttle (you can do this by adding back JUST enough throttle to keep all arrows off the energy display, but it isn't easy to learn the touch). If you slow down that way as often as possible, you'll be extending your range as compared to using regen. No... really. I'm a professional. :)

If we could extend our range by speeding up just to then regen while slowing, we'd have a perpetual motion machine.

9. jeneric

jeneric New Member

Usually it is infinity whenever you move without gas. It's actually not hard to figure out. If you go 1 mile at 40 mpg and another at infinity mpg, the average is total miles per gallon aka 80mpg.

I'm guessing it only happens if the ICE never kicks in at all for the full 5 minutes. It figures you're being weird, so it can be too.

10. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Darelldd -

Boy, it is difficult to get in my head that these cars work so differently! I will be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about how the energy is transferred. I think I am beginning to understand that you are saying the regen creates "drag" on the vehicle, so the more time spent in regen, the slower I would go (even if I did not really feel it)...whereas in neutral, less drag, hence less energy needed to continue my forward progress.

Makes perfect sense.

Actually getting no arrows is pretty easy, all I have to do is barely rest my foot on the pedal. I have caught myself doing that a bunch of times when coming down a hill...and losing the regen! Old habits die hard...and in other cars I would never have noticed how I kept my foot on the pedal, even when not needed!

So, this regen factor could also come into play even when not in forced EV mode! Going down a small hill may not generate enough regen to be worthwhile...right? In that case would you also initiate no arrows?

11. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No arrows and maintaining a good/legal/safe speed is what you want. If the downhill is steep enough where you can use the regen and stay good/legal/safe, that is hybrid nirvana.

One who is with the force will incorporate gliding (no arrows) into their everyday driving. Use the arrows on the MFD as your teacher. Don't stare at it, but try to sense what the car is doing and then glance back at the MFD to see if you are right. After a while, you will become a Prii Master. :D

12. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Hmmm.... I love to do a modified version of that - I live in not-very-hilly Florida, but we've got a few back roads I've found with 40mph limits, some moderate (probably small to the rest of you) hills, and next to no traffic. I 'pulse' up to about 40, then let off and glide - I try to time pulses for going down hills and glides for level ground and going up them. I get nearly 4 miles of this, sometimes without the engine ever turning on (I'm not nearly as good as I will be =P). My speed varies between 33 (my artificial 'minimum') and 40, though I've been known to let myself get down as low as 25 if there is noone in sight and I'm just dying to make it to the top of the hill. I don't know much about the physics, and I've only taken this road steady speed a couple times, so it's possible that I'm wrong - but it seems that during your 'electric glide', the car is trading speed for distance more efficiently than the car could trade fuel for speed.