1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have you ever pumped more than 10 gallons of gas?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Vespasian, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

I've actually never been able to pump more than about 8 gallons of gasoline at one time, even when the fuel gauge shows only one bar remaining.

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I drive until the last bar 'blinks' and then for maybe 10-15 more miles. I seem to be able to fill 8 gallons evey time I fill up. I wish I could nake use of more like 10 gallons as 80-100 miles would be several more days of driving

3. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

temperature makes a big diff.

The most I've ever been able to safely pump is 8.7 gallons....at one pip.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    A little over 9 gallons once or twice. Normally between 8 & 9 gallons.

5. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    9.7 once. Usually between 8-9.

6. astro

astro New Member

this drives me nuts. i too average 7.5 to 8.5 gal per fillup. what happened to the 12 gal tank? i can understand a gallon or two, but not being able to use a full 1/3 of the tank?

7. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

When it's cold outside the bladder in the tank apparently gets very restrictive.

8. Kestrel

Kestrel Bird geek

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My max so far has been 9.959, with most of them in the 8.5 to 9.5 range. I usually let it get down to two pips; once I waited until I was on the last pip; and just once I got to blinking!

[Edited to add] I stop at the first click of the gas pump.

9. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I give up on trying to figure out how to fill it. Put in 9.4 once when I got to blinking pip but otherwise 6-8. I'll click it once or twice but I am not spending much time at the pump.

10. the fish

the fish Member

On my first tank, I was able to squeeze in 10.003 gallons. I was down to one bar (no blinking yet) for about 10 miles. It was around 63 degrees. I'll see how the second tank goes.

11. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

After it clicks off...

Back the nozzle out about 1 inch... gently add 1 gallon and stop.

If you add 1.4 gallons at this point, you'll burp gas out the hole.

Most people around here will cringe to hear me say that (and they probably should).. because it may do something or the other to some vapor filter or whatever. And, you don't want to be trying to save gas but then spilling it on the ground while trying to over-fill the car.

Let it click off.. back the nozzle out a bit, then add 1 gallon.. don't wait until you see something happening at the fill spout.. it's too late by then. it clicks off at 8.9 gallons, go to 9.9 and stop.

All that.. only if you want that extra gallon. For many people, they are just fine if they stop when it clicks off.

12. the fish

the fish Member

My 10 gallon tank did first click off at 8.8 gallons. I got to 10 by doing exactly what daronspicher posted.

13. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use daronspitcher's method also. Just .4 more than 1 gallon will make it bubble and spit out.

14. redbird

redbird New Member

Still in Ohio, but hopefully not after retirement.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On my first trip to Texas from Ohio - I ran the car as far as I felt safe - the gauge started blinking and I drove an additional 20 miles for gas - I was able to put 10.53 gallons in. I don't run it that close any more. (Note: My wife was driving our old Camry behind me - we dropped it off for our daughter in law) - so I wasn't gambling too much. But I only got 40 miles per gallon - we were traveling 70-80 mph - with the rest of the traffic.

15. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I normally drive til the warning comes on and look for a station. On GreenHybrid I post my history and it runs from 9.3 to 10.3 normally. Purchased '05 in Nov '05, I believe that makes a difference. From the original Gen2's in '03/'04 to the present there was a flow sensor adjustment.

16. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Am I tempting fate?

Five months and 8100 miles after buying the car I've refueled it about 15 times, ALWAYS when the last pip has been blinking for the past 10 miles or so. ALWAYS put in about 10.5 gallons and grumble that there's a gallon and a half I apparently can't use (1.5 + 10.5 = 12).

Exception - one station a few fillups ago had a faulty nozzle cutoff, so as I stood behind the car studying Nick Park's latest Chevron cartoon suddenly heard the sound of a waterfall and turned to find the pump merrily pouring fuel all over the pavement at full force, geysering out of the filler! Got it stoppped with 12.6 gallons on the pump meter - have no idea how much of that 12.6 was puddle on the pavement but assume it wasn't more than a gallon. That would mean I managed to cram in 11.6 or so with the help of that unregulated pump. Topped 550 miles on that tankload before the last pip started flashing, so I obviously got more fuel into the tank than I normally do, but I don't have any idea of what that 11.9 gallon bladder really can hold or what's it's true useful capacity is.

But so far I haven't run the thing dry and have gotten at least 20 miles on the flashing pip.

Anyone run dry with less than 20 on the blink?

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

17. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Before EL010-04 I would get in 6.5 gallons at one bar.

Now I get in 8 gallons at one bar.

18. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeap, we ran out of gas once on a road trip. Went down to one bar as we passed a town with about 20 miles to the next town. Five miles after passing the town, the pip started flashing, about a mile later, the add fuel sign went on and the car started to slow down. We limped to a gas station and put in 11.728 gallons. Needless to say, when I am traveling on the highway/interstate and I am down to one bar, I make sure to fill as soon as possible.

To answer the original question, in about 60 tanks, I have had 12 tanks over 10 gallons, with 3 of those 11.49 gallons or greater. (2004 Prius, Since September 2004).

19. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

When I drive to the blinking bar, the car always takes at least 10 gallons.

If I drive near empty I can get over 12 gallons in.

All cases I fill to full. Sometimes I see the fuel, other times I stop based on the sound change, which is close to where I would see fuel.

Car will fill full no problem but takes time. Car burping is caused by rushing and pressurizing the bladder. This can happen even when the car is not filled full. If you fill fast I've had it burp at the first click off.

Generally I get at least 2 gallons and sometimes 3 more in after the first click off.

20. Florida Prius

Florida Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My two cents: i usually get right around 10 gallons, down to one bar on the gauge and hang up the nozzle after it clicks off. Usually is good for about 410 miles.