1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have you heard of Shanghai Jiao Tong University's university rankings?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Apr 1, 2007.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    (Please don't answer Yes if you heard about it from my other thread. Please only answer Yes if you've heard prior to this and my other post.)

A thread came up at work where someone claimed that University of Washington (UW) in Seattle was somehow ranked as the 17th BEST university in the WORLD. This ranks even better than Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, and Duke, which I found very hard to believe.

They got their info/ranking from a study by Shanghai Jiao Tong University. :huh: http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2005/ARWU2005_Top100.htm has the rankings and apparently an article at http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=4339960 cites this same type of info. Some even went onto claim that Shanghai Jiao Tong University's study is the "most cited".

So, my question is, have you ever heard of the above university's rankings?

BTW, I answered yes only because I heard of it at work. I DEFINITELY NEVER heard of them when I was applying for colleges ~16 years ago.

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Apr 1 2007, 08:49 PM) [snapback]416279[/snapback]</div>
    Your the only one so far. . . :eek:

Wildkow

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    UCSD is 13th in the world?

Wow.

I take summer classes there (on my own time on my own dime) to learn more technology to use at school. I'll be doing podcasting, smartboards and webdesign this summer. And no, I won't be getting any salary credit on the payscale and I won't be reimbursed for my time or expense.

California has 10% of the universities on the list and 3 of the top 10 are in California.

3. Stanford
    4. U.C. Berkley
    6. Cal Tech
    13. U.C. San Diego
    14. U.C. Los Angeles
    18. U.C. San Francisco
    34. U.C. Santa Barbara
    41. U.C. Davis
    47. U.C. Irvine
    50. University So. Cal

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you look hard enough, you can find some "official" ranking that places any school on the map high... Why do you think so many schools boast about being "number one"?

The idea of an overall ranking for a school is pretty bogus anyways. You could have a school that has the best <insert major here> department, but sucks at everything else... If you went there, you'd get the best education for your field, even if the alumni hate the place.

*edit*
    Ok, so i take that back... my school was ranked 69th in the world :D

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The ranking varies due to what is being measured.

The rankings for this list were how many nobel prizes, articles in professional publications, research performance, etc. All academic stuff. They probably didn't take into account the number of fraternities and sororities or how many parties there are over the weekend, how many empty bottles and cans found the next morning, now many arrests made.....

2006 is out.

This link not only gives the new list but also the factors used to determine rank.

Academic Ranking World Universities

California still has 10% of the top 100. But all 10 of them are in the top 50. 3 are still in the top 10.

3. Stanford
    4. U.C. Berkley
    6. Cal Tech
    13. U.C. San Diego
    14. U.C. Los Angeles
    18. U.C. San Francisco
    35. U.C. Santa Barbara
    42. U.C. Davis
    43. U.C. Irvine
    47. Univ. So. Cal.

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I have a friend who has his PHD in ME from JTU in Shanghai. He's bringing his family over for lunch this Saturday and we're going to have some real Chinese food cooked by his wife.

I'm not sure what qualities were measured for this ranking. You can bet that it was preset to show China well in the result list.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 2 2007, 11:00 PM) [snapback]416889[/snapback]</div>
    I thought their ratings were pretty bogus. I went to supposedly #14 and sorry, there's no way UCSD ranks BETTER than UCLA and there's no way that they're the 13th and 14th best in the WORLD. US News at http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/r...tudoc_brief.php ranks UCLA at #26 in the US (sounds more like it) and UCSD at #38.

8. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    the rankings are determined by the percentage of the population at said university that drive prii. Didnt know there were more prii in stanford than in berkeley, ;p

9. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 3 2007, 12:00 AM) [snapback]416889[/snapback]</div>
    Why aren't the Claremont Colleges in there. It's harder to get in that school than most of the UC's.