1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have You Known Someone that Might go on a Shooting Spree at Work, School, etc?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Apr 23, 2007.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have You Known Someone that Might go on a Shooting Spree at Work, School, etc?

In other words, "going postal" like at Virginia Tech, NASA, some other public gathering?

Unfortunately, I've known at least one.

He did things that were obviously disruptive to an office atmosphere, yet did not seem to sense it. He thought more and more people were out to get him, until it was everybody - dwelled on being slighted.

Sadly, it seems like there are more people that think like this. :(

2. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I worked with a guy who threw a laptop across the room. He was walked out that day. Last week we fired an employee and have given all our door sentries his photo in case he attempts to return. Unfortunately I am in the district office which has neither a sentry or a security system at the door. :(

3. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

We had a guy exit the office under tough political conditions a few months back. I was well concerned that he could be dangerous. So far, so good...

4. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Unfortunately it's not as simple as "yes" or "no."

People can be weird, or angry, or easily offended, but it doesn't mean they're broken enough to go on a murderous rampage. I think the more appropriate question might be:

Do you know of a gun shop that might sell a gun to someone who has a background that should disallow them from purchasing in the first place?

I think that describes most gun shops in the USA, not because gun shop owners want to see people killed, but because they're in it to make a buck, and after all, what are the chances that a gun from YOUR shop will be used in a deadly rampage, or kill some kid on the street in a gang shooting, or be used by a teenager to commit suicide...

Or how about this question: Do you know a country that allows people to simply lie on their gun applications and takes them at their word as they prepare for the nation's deadliest gun rampage?

I can think of at least one such country. It's been reported that the SOB had a documented history of mental instability, and was involuntarily committed to a mental hospital in '05. How is it that he still went out and purchased a gun?

5. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Apr 23 2007, 09:37 AM) [snapback]428298[/snapback]</div>
    More often than not, I want to reword polls I conduct.

My workplace had people voicing security concerns - alluding to a person I mentioned that was becoming increasingly more resentful. I was no longer able to rule out the possibility of "going postal". At an earlier job, we had a number of people explode during a death march.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I must be getting old. I read the subject line on this post four times before I realized it didn't say "...Shopping Spree..." It reads quite differently with that change. :)

Tom

7. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh, the Devil is in the details....my intent was if you knew someone that might shoot even one person at work, school, etc....that would be a "Yes". Shooting Spree implies mass murder.

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 23 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]428352[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: That was great!!!

The trick is if you could shoot and get away with it, maybe cruise around and pop one at random once a month untill you get the "Serial Killer Status" before getting caught and be coming a marter in prison. Kinda like Bundy, Berkowitz, :huh:

VT shootings would best be discribed as a Spree Killing.

9. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    At the last company that I worked for, we were informed that the overnight package pick up guy killed some lady. It wasn't a spree, but it was very eerie for us nonetheless.

10. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Yeah, when some chick got jammed out of 30 large because of a racial issue.

On another note though, I once conducted a mock assasination of a science teacher in high school with a bright orange cap gun and ski mask. Burst into his class room wearing the ski mask, fired a few times, then bolted, laughing my arse off as I ran. Thing is, it was in pure jest, dark humor yes, but there wasn't a person who actually took it seriously. Had this happened anytime after Columbine, I would have surely been dragged off by the SWAT team, and probably tossed into an asylum for testing. Of course, the fact that I kept a trunk load full of BB/CO2 guns, fireworks, and bullets, didn't help matter much... :lol:

Those were the days...!

So now, after these a-holes come along, humor as such has been effectively CENSORED. :angry:

Oh, crap, I can't BELIEVE I forgot this one:

Recently, a kid my friend used to be good friends with, drove all the way from somewhere in Louisianna (sp?), to blow his grandfather away, point blank, with a shot gun, took his dad hostage, and was ultimately "talked" down by the Statey's, and dragged off to prison. Anyway, the point is this, he was CONTINUOSLY picked on in high school by pretty much everyone. Oddly, I got along with him, simply 'cause he was a generally nice kid, who was in my Chess Club. He was actually taken out of school a few times, and simply disappeared for a few months, only to come back, unusually "cheery". We did always peg him for going nuts sometime, and blowing someone, or several people away. Turns out, his grandfather had sexually abused him, and had a long rap sheet of such. At least he took it out where it was "appropriate", and not on all the kids that picked on him.

Makes you think...

BTW, here's the link to the story...

http://www.topix.net/content/trb/423769663...689123891443928

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 23 2007, 12:11 PM) [snapback]428378[/snapback]</div>
    Reminds me of the school shooting here swat wasted a 6th grader with a realistic plastic 9mm airsoft gun. See this is what the fake pistol lookied like, again note this is a airsoft toy gun!
    [​IMG]

Wanna rob a bank or car jack someone..?
    Look here. :rolleyes:
    http://shortyusa.com/index.html?RID=4328

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's probably impossible to tell who is going to go berserk. Many rage killers have been described as "perfectly normal," while lots of people you'd describe as wackos never do anything violent.

13. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, but I consider some of the posters here suspect. Thankfully, they have boards like this to blow some steam.

14. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 23 2007, 11:47 AM) [snapback]428410[/snapback]</div>
    I agree in some instances, but others have the red flags - the warnings were there.

The VT killer was neglected by his family and dwelt on his "raw deal".

In general, I get concerned when someone of limited social skills, harps on getting a "raw deal".

Maybe I should have worded the Poll: "Have you known someone that might commit workplace/schoolplace, etc violence?"

15. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There was a person that worked at my wife's place of employment. When she had her hours reduced, she quit. They made sure to change all of the computer logins and the locks on the doors, as well as the security alarm codes. They weren't worried about her shooting up the place. They just didn't want anything stolen.

16. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 23 2007, 11:47 AM) [snapback]428410[/snapback]</div>
    One concern on the debate of identifying potential killers is if they were marked as a killer about to happen would be devistating - worse than a bad credit rating. Obviously, you don't want to either wait for a killer to strike or ruin the reputation of a person that would never do such a thing.

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 23 2007, 10:03 AM) [snapback]428274[/snapback]</div>
    i could be wrong about this but is it not interesting that the postal office and at schools - two "gun-free" zones are the locations of a lot of mass murders like last week.

the last time a nut walked down the street of a busy city and started popping people was when??

18. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 23 2007, 10:03 AM) [snapback]428274[/snapback]</div>
    The term "going postal" has become part of the vocabularly, but I have a few friends who work for the USPS and they consider it highly derogatory. You may not want to say it in front of your mailman, or your packages marked "fragile" might get accidentally run over by the mail truck. :)

19. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 23 2007, 12:11 PM) [snapback]428436[/snapback]</div>
    March 25, 2006.

20. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base