1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

have you noticed any MPG difference by lowering the oil level

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by WWJD08, Mar 18, 2009.

1. WWJD08

WWJD08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    By Lowering your oil level by 8 oz. Is it worth it and what did you notice by doing this? Pro's & CON's :cool:.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I change the oil - using the dealership filter - putting in 3 litres will put the level about halfway between the Add and Full dots. If I use 3.3 litres, that puts the oil level on the Full dot

No difference in fuel economy that I can determine

I'm now fairly convinced the "overfill" problems reported for the Prius, really have to do with how quickly the oil is put in. Eg say a dealership or Iffy Boob place with an automated bulk dispensing oil system

Flood the cylinder head with motor oil, the excess can end up in the PVC vent or suction line, and be gulped into the intake. Take your time adding oil, I allow 10 mins to slowly add 3 litres

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I honestly don't see how there would be a measurable difference in FE based upon where the oil level is between the two marks on the dipstick. Anywhere between the two marks is acceptable as shown in the owners manual. What you should avoid is overfilling the level; the level should not be above the top mark.

4. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put in 4 quarts when I changed mine with no issues.

5. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    check your oil level... you may have overfilled it....

6. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was slightly over the fill mark, by about a fingernail. Has been in for about 8k, no problems, still getting 52+ mpg.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Near as I can tell, it is an issue of overfill. My experience is that 1/4 inch, about 5 mm is enough to have an impact. Right on the "F" seems OK and less than "F" and above "E" is perfectly OK. Under "E" has no effect other than to risk potential engine damage and wear out the remaining oil sooner.

Bob Wilson

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I used to put in 4 litres and now put in 3.5 litres. With 4 the oil ended up above the full line by about 3/16". I saw -NO- difference in mileage. I now put in 3.5 litres just to be able to say I'm "doing it right". I use the Toyota brand oil filter.

I also put in one litre of 10W30 Mobil 1 and 2.5 litres of 5W30 Mobil 1. I'm still using up the anti-Prius' oil left over. This also made no difference in mileage.

Some members of this forum need to "chill out". ;)