1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have you read the manual?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dbatjr, May 9, 2007.

1. dbatjr

dbatjr New Member

I've had a few new cars in my lifetime, but this is the first one I've owned that has inspired me to actually read the manual. Usually it just gets tossed into the glove box until I can't figure something out.

This is my first Prius, and it's so different from anything else I've every driven, I feel compelled to learn everything I can about it.

Still not sure when I should use 'B'.

Tom
    2007 Seaside Pearl Package #2

2. tiger roach

tiger roach New Member

I'm about halfway through it (just got my Prius last weekend). Obviously some parts can be skimmed over since every page doesn't apply to every version of the car.

And I'm not reading the bluetooth stuff unless I actually get a bluetooth phone some day. That's about a third of the manual right there. ;)

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, I read both manuals cover to cover (owner's and NAV). They aren't great, but there is some good information.

"B" mode is only used on long or steep downhill grades. It causes the Prius to throw away energy by spinning the engine in a high drag state. Think of it as down shifting with a manual transmission.

For normal hills, just brake. That way more energy goes back into the battery.

Tom

4. mmacvicar

mmacvicar New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbatjr @ May 9 2007, 10:58 AM) [snapback]438429[/snapback]</div>
    Flipping through the manual was worth while for me. I would never have found that bottom drawer in the armrest, not would I have known that you can lay the front seats flat.

I don't know how "B" works in the Prius, but presumably it works like other down-shifting mechanisms in regular automatic transmission cars (i.e., the transmission downshifts to cause the transmission to slow the car down). Does anyone know how "B" really works on the Prius?

Mark MacVicar

5. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I can tell, engine braking on the prius causes the engine to always be spinning, like when you exceed speeds of 41mph.

Not sure, but I think the difference is that the engine does something with the valves that increases its braking ability. Another possibility is that the sun motor is stopped so it doesn't turn, and thus the rotational energy goes into the engine, which has alot more resistance to spinning then an electric motor.

6. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob64 @ May 9 2007, 03:27 PM) [snapback]438452[/snapback]</div>

I use "B" in the winter in snow the same way I used D2 or L - to increase traction and to minimize the need to hit the brake. When you take your foot off the gas the car slows to about 15 mph. Very minimal sliding this year in the snow/ice/sleet/freezing rain/snizzle. That combined with front wheel drive makes this car a great winter car too! (Now for the EBH and grill block next winter.......)

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Hi debatjr

How refreshing that someone actually reads the Owner's Manual. Admittedly, it's not well indexed and it seems the overall organization is strange at best; however,

I have studied the Manuals over two different Prius. To help be re-locate helpful information, I made it a habit to use a highlighter and made myself a personal "index" on a blank page in the back to help me relocate info later. Mostly, I use my "personal index" to answer questions on PriusChat, but it also helps me to relocate info I need later.

There's much practical information NOT FOUND in the Owner's Manual. PriusChat is an excellent source and most forum members are happy to help. Another good source of info is John's web site:

http://john1701a.com/

For John's "manual" go to Prius Info - User Guide H

8. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It took me two days (off and on) to read the applicable parts of the manual. (I'm still looking for the automatic headlights :p .) It really is worthwhile given the technical aspects of the Prius.
    I use the "Brake" mode from time to time on down-hills, to save the regular brakes. I was concerned this would be a car with short-lived brakes, but from what I read in forums, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Neicy @ May 9 2007, 05:29 PM) [snapback]438553[/snapback]</div>
    B mode won't increase traction, nor will it brake any more effectively than the normal brakes. The Prius uses regen braking for normal stops, which load the front wheels in the same fashion as B or down shifting in a normal car. There are only two reasons to use B: 1) Burn off extra energy on a long downhill. Regular braking will do this too, but B mode will make it last longer before the hydraulic brakes have to take over. Or 2) Slowing suddenly without showing brake lights. This can be handy if you want to be rear-ended by the car behind you. :eek:

Tom

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Reading the manual was a chore due to all of the duplicated sections. I preferred John's. Toyota's manual tells you what the car is designed to do. John tells you what it can do and how to make things better.

11. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I enjoy reading the manuals, did it first day I drove it home. I could skip through the nav system and bluetooth, which cut out half of it. BTW, I also enjoy reading the manuals that come with my ham radios. Guess I'm just warped.

12. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I read pretty much all of it. Of course I skipped certain areas such as how to use the seat belt.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. I've read the manual for our 2000 Corolla, 2002 Camry and 2005 Prius.

Obviously I skip the child-seat bit since we'll never to use it ("baby" cousin would obviously sit in her parents' car).

14. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Of all my new cars, the Prius was the first one I have not read from cover to cover, because the covers are too far apart. I started out OK, but it is too drawn out. I will probably try again. Skipping all the yellow sqares will shorten the read.

I would be inerrested in finding out more about "John's Book".

The NAV manual is way too complicated.

Today, I was going through my papers and found the Quick Guide like you would get with a rental car. May read that.

15. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 9 2007, 08:55 PM) [snapback]438702[/snapback]</div>
    The emergency brake works well, especially if you want to cause an emergency :)

16. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I read the manual over the first day or two. I had to keep going out to the garage to look for things I found. I still occasionally refer to it - first time for a car manual, but then I usually read directions for things I buy.

17. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tiger roach @ May 9 2007, 12:02 PM) [snapback]438433[/snapback]</div>
    I finally got a bluetooth phone about a year and 1/2 ago, just so I could use it with the Prius. I really like that feature. When I'm in the car, I can just leave the phone in the storage area just below the MFD, or in my shirt pocket. My most used numbers are stored (upper limit of 17?) in memory, so they can be dialed (just by pressing the name) from the touch screen. And to answer incoming calls, I don't have to fumble to get the phone out of my pocket. If it weren't for the bluetooth, I wouldn't be able to dial or answer calls while driving the car. I don't see how people driving with the cell phone against their ear do it.

Dave M.

18. tiger roach

tiger roach New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ May 10 2007, 08:11 AM) [snapback]438995[/snapback]</div>
    Poorly, in most cases.

Now I want a bluetooth phone too so I can be Capt. Technology in my new space car. And I don't even turn my current cell phone on very often. :p

19. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I tend to read car manuals cover to cover just to make sure I don't miss anything that's not obvious (like the hidden storage box) :) Admittedly in the prius it did not provide nearly the same quality of information as can be found on this site..

20. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusincc @ May 9 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]438632[/snapback]</div>
    On the contrary. The regeneration feature means that the friction brakes get used much *less* than in a conventional car. I haven't yet read of anyone who needed the brake pads replaced in the first 50,000 miles.

But yes, "B" is meant to be used instead of riding the brakes on a long downslope. One can still boil the brake fluid by riding the brakes, and that would be bad.