1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

have you run out of gas in your prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by desertbriez, Jun 15, 2007.

1. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

i keep reading about people who have run out... and the warnings that if you get to one flashing pip... buy NOW!

in light of that.... i decided we needed a poll!

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey! I get to be the first to vote!

I've never run out of gas in any car I've driven, much less the Prius.I usually fill up at 2 pips.

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Once upon a time... um, no, twice upon a time, I drove diesels. One was a huge, massive, Olds 98, and the other was a lovely little VW Dasher.

You never, never, EVER, want to run out of fuel with a diesel.

I've learned. I will rarely let my car get below a 1/4 tank. If I do, I'm a little anxious until I can get to a station and fill up.

Besides, I like filling up my Prius. :D

4. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have never run out of gas in any car either that I have owned. I usually fill my tank every friday whether or not it needs gas, it is usually more than half full. I do this so I can purchase the gas from Gulf, which is close to where I work (no shell stations around here:() . I feel I get better MPG with them then any other stations around here.

5. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius is the first car I have ever ran out of gas in. And it will only take once to learn my lesson. I didn't know that even when you top off you don't always get a "full tank" because of the bladder. I didn't even know it had that, and I of course assumed that hey if I am getting 50 MPG and I am at 525 when it started flashing I should make it to 600 of course 10 miles down the road, I was like I think I ran out of gas. LOL
    I now hit it right when it starts to blink. Usually squeezes in about 10.5 gallons when moderate temps outside if its cold about 9.9 gallons.

6. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No, not yet at anyrate. Reading the posts here is enough to convince me not to push it just to see how much gas I can squeeze out of a single fillup. I usually refill at one or two pips. I've never gotten down to 1 blinking pip.

7. JoannSolberg

JoannSolberg New Member

Nope, don't want to chance it. I don't think I've even let it get to the blinking stage...I fill up at one or two pips.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moxiequz @ Jun 15 2007, 10:28 AM) [snapback]462402[/snapback]</div>
    Me too. The poll should have that option (Not Yet). I fill up at 2 pips and even 3, if I know that I'm going on a long trip shortly. But there may come a time that I may have say that I did.

9. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    how do you run out of gas? I mean, its not like you have an actively updated guage right in your face while your driving, oh wait, you do!!
    The only reason I can see is if your lost in the middle of the desert for days on end. Or if your driving in the middle of the night, all night non stop for 500 miles, in the middle of the desert :p

10. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that people run out of gas because the Prius becomes like a video game where you have to try to beat your highest score. Before the Prius I wouldn't give a second thought to filling up if the tank were half full or 3/4 full. Now I know that I tend to push it down the last pip just so that I can say that I went 500 miles on a tank. I never had a car with a mpg display before and I have never tracked my tanks before in any other car.

I have not run out of gas (yet) because common sense overrides my desire to be able to record a high number of miles between each fillup.

11. seayayfishing

seayayfishing New Member

Trevor, you hit that one right on the head. I had to laugh when I read that..

No, I never ran out yet(key word "yet").. Only let it flash one time and was able to tun another 12 miles and added 9.9 gals. I know I will do it one day..

12. tiger roach

tiger roach New Member

I have only had to fill up two times so far. Both times I was down to one steady pip. I wanted to get it flashing but I couldn't make myself do it. :)

13. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ Jun 15 2007, 11:16 AM) [snapback]462444[/snapback]</div>

I ran out of gas 3 times. I can't help it. I'm a gamer! :D
    The first 2 times, I had enough SOC to roll into a gas station. The 3rd time required phoning someone to deliver me some gas. I have not run out of gas since I got CAN-View as it displays the remaining fuel as a percentage. When it hits 7% i know it's time to start thinking about looking for gas. 2% is when it's time for me to pull the Prius up to a pump :)

14. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Never run out of gas in any civilian vehicle. now the 7 ton with a broken gas gage lol.

Hey Proco I love the Black Adder avatar Capt Darling right?

The sound of hoofbeats 'cross the glade,
    Good folk, lock up your son and daughter,
    Beware the deadly flashing blade,
    Unless you want to end up shorter.
    Black Adder, Black Adder, he rides a pitch black steed.
    Black Adder, Black Adder, he's very bad indeed.
    Black: his gloves of finest mole,
    Black: his codpiece made of metal,
    His horse is blacker than a vole,
    His pot is blacker than his kettle.
    Black Adder, Black Adder, with many a cunning plan.
    Black Adder, Black Adder, you horrid little man.

15. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, the funny thing is that when I was a kid I remember by father playing a different game that I didn't quite understand at the time. He would just fill up whenever or wherever he spotted a good deal. Two cents cheaper today, time to fill up.

Now I'm doing the exact opposite. "Hey, gas is less than $3 here... it's too bad I'm only half way through a tank!" Going for the high score usually doesn't leave you with many options.

16. priussoris

priussoris New Member

No not in the prius, I fill up when I get to one pip before the flashing starts or even 2 pips if I know I am going on a farther trip on the freeway, I fill up before hand instead of getting on the highway and then back off of the highway to fill it.

17. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ Jun 15 2007, 11:16 AM) [snapback]462444[/snapback]</div>

[​IMG]

18. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Jun 15 2007, 02:03 PM) [snapback]462434[/snapback]</div>
    Like I said had I known that even when you top off, you rarely exceed 10 gallons, I would have known. Mine was on my second tank, the first tank I only drove about 360 miles on it if I remember correctly before I filled it for a trip. Since I expected it to have 11 usable gallons in it, I expected that I could go about 11 times the MPG average, boy was I surprised at the gas station that it only took about 10.5 from empty. Funny how my avg was 50 and I ran out at 525 - 535.

19. likesmpg

likesmpg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My first three tanks I have taken down to a flashing pip, but the more stories I read the more likely I am to get gas sooner. However there are plentiful gas stations around here so at any one time I'm probably no more than 2 miles from a gas station. That being said I had 594 miles on the trip and a flashing pip and my common sense got the best of me and I filled up before going to work only 15 miles away... no 600 mile tank for me :(

20. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jun 15 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]462603[/snapback]</div>
    If I run the tank down to 2% or lower then I can usually put in 11+ gallons. It all depends on how patient I am with the pump, and whether it wants to work with me or not. Some pumps are really sensitive on the auto shut-off.