1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have you seen the new "Stepford Wives"?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by mboileau, Jun 17, 2004.

1. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Loved the original, so was anxious to see the re-make, especially with Nicole and Bette. I had NO idea it was comically sarcastic, which ended up being the best (only?) thing good about the movie.

If you remember the original plot line, our heroine is the only non-robot woman in town except for one other newcomer who later gets "changed". In the re-make, there's the heroine, the new friend, AND a third newcomer, who happens to be a guy who moved to Stepford with his "gay Republican" partner. OK, the guy is a classic gay stereotype, but the one-liners and his involvement in the story had my side splitting. The man-in-charge at the Men's Club makes a point of saying how "open-minded" a community Stepford is, and how he and his partner are welcome additions. A couple of the husbands refer to the new guy as "girlfriend" and "Miss Thing", and he later becomes transformed into one of the "wives".

A radical but interesting plot shift that's part of what the "updating" of the story to contemporary times was meant to be. That says a lot.

One of my favorite lines, from the "mad scientist" - "I asked myself where would a town of robots go completely unnoticed? Of course! Connecticut!"