1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Having a Fun Time Changing Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kathleen2, May 13, 2006.

1. Kathleen2

Kathleen2 New Member

The Prius is eaiest car I have ever owned to change the oil filter. Do you think I could do it without making a mess –NO!
    First when removing the drain plug I get oil running down my arm. It is then I realize there is a hole in my disposable gloves. It is then I realize I forgot to take of my wedding ring.
    Second I’m unable to remove the filter wrench from the filter. I finely get it off and splat! It falls into the waste oil. Now can’t get a grip on the filter because I have oil on and inside my gloves. I take the gloves off. I’m holding on to the bottom half of a plastic container to catch any oil or the filter if I should drop it (thus no mess –yea right). The oil is running down the side because the container is too small.
    Third, I’m all thumbs now and they are covered with oil and I drop the filter in the waist oil – SPLASH! I’m now covered with oil.
    I’m not done yet!
    I install a Fumoto Valve so next time I won’t have such a mess – Yea right. I fill the oil filter 3/4 up with oil and screw it into place. No problem. It is at that time I realized I just kicked the open oil container over causing more of a mess.
    Changing oil is so much fun :lol:
    Kathleen

2. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

You're all right, Kathleen. That silence you think you hear is actually a couple hundred of us nodding and rolling our eyes. Been there...

How long have you been doing your own oil changes?

You failed to mention black drips on the driveway/garage floor. Maybe you're smarter than me. I always say to myself, "no way am I going to get any on the driveway"---conveniently ignoring ther evidence provided by about one-third of my changes.

Also forgot to screw the oil filler cap back in many years ago. Then drove about 3o miles at high speed before I noticed the oil droplets hitting the windshield. "Funny looking rain," I says.

I could go on...

3. Kathleen2

Kathleen2 New Member

How long have you been doing your own oil changes?

You failed to mention black drips on the driveway/garage floor. Maybe you're smarter than me. I always say to myself, "no way am I going to get any on the driveway"---conveniently ignoring ther evidence provided by about one-third of my changes.

I'm 60 and have been doing it on and off since 1962. Being taught by my Dad on a 52 Chevy. Other things I have done besides forgetting to put the oil cap on; I’ve forgotten to tighten the radiator cap (more than once). Pour oil and forgotten to put the oil plug in. Drive off and forget to pull the jack stand out. I forgot to tighten the lug nuts. Used transmission fluid instead of oil (really cleaned the head bolt.) Drained the transmission pan instead of the oil pan and so many more mistakes I do not remember.
    The worst car was a Datson that had the filter in the back of the engine. I changed it once and never did it again. I had a Javlin once and the oil filter was over the axal. So it dripped oil for two weeks after changing the filter. I loved driving that car as it was like flying a plane with that bucket seat and coxpit wrapping around me. Yet, I never did speed with that car. I was going to buy a Monte Carlo but I got so mad at the dealer I went across the street and bought a brand new 1972 Javlin and made sure they saw me. When I got home I threw-up.
    I was young and single then; now I'm old and gray.
    Kathleen

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

:lol: I'm still laughing an hour after I first read your post...........Too funny! :lol:

5. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I drive a nail (or a nail-set punch) through the bottom of the old filter. Pull it back out and let the oil from the filter drain into the pan before you take the filter off. That was my only mess point when I started changing the oil on the Prius.

Somehow, I can get the plug out without getting much oil on myself, so I'm down to a pretty clean process.

Anyone can kick the jug of oil over, that's just a bad day. :huh:

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    this is why i have my husband just take the car to work with him :D

you can bet i know how to change oil in a car but it's much easier for him to bring the car to the shop and do it... (and frank, i know what you're going to say already, ok? :lol:)

7. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Speaking of the drain plug...I thought I saw someone on here that had a magnetic drain plug. Anyone have any experience with those? I seem to recall that it was Windstrings that had it...

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kathleen2, did you remember to install a crush washer with the Fumoto valve? :)

9. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kathleen2 @ May 13 2006, 12:08 AM) [snapback]254645[/snapback]</div>

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kathleen2 @ May 13 2006, 02:08 AM) [snapback]254645[/snapback]</div>
    Moral: don't get married.

11. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kathleen2 @ May 13 2006, 12:45 AM) [snapback]254583[/snapback]</div>
    Been there, done that! :rolleyes: That's why I always lay down a big sheet of cardboard in my garage bays now. Even today, with the Fumoto valve already installed, I still had a dribble that missed the pan because I had the jack too close to where the pan needed to be. :angry: Then, I made the mistake of loosening the oil filter while the valve was still draining, and a bunch of oil ran down my arm onto the cardboard before I could screw it back tight enough again. :rolleyes:
    Oh well, nothing a new sheet of cardboard won't fix. ;)

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did my first oil change today also. Installed fumoto valve as well. I punched a hole in the oil filter and got everything out but when I unscrewed the filter, more oil dripped down. I forgot to leave the oil filler cap open. Not sure how much that will help next time.

I actually remembered to use one of the tip I read on this board about cutting 2 liter soda bottle to unscrew oil filter and catch oil and filter but I couldn't find one at home.

Dennis

13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 13 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]254787[/snapback]</div>
    who me! what would give you an idea like that?? :rolleyes:

14. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been paying the $4.00 per hour charge to use a lift on base. Being able to stand under the car is a big plus in my book.

I always remove the filter first, since that's the only thing that's going to stop me from changing the oil (if I can't get it unscrewed). It makes a bit of a mess, but I'm careful to only get my fingertips oily.

Once it's done dripping, I wet the new filter's gasket and screw it on tight. After that, standard drinplug action. I usually get some oil on my hand when the bolt finally comes free, but I almost never drop the bolt. That's as messy as it gets.

15. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ May 14 2006, 06:03 PM) [snapback]255450[/snapback]</div>
    Rember that a plastic bag works just dandy too. That's all I ever use.

16. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kathleen2 @ May 13 2006, 12:45 AM) [snapback]254583[/snapback]</div>
    After you filled the oil filter 3/4 full, how much more oil did it take to get the required level? I've read conflicting threads about just how much oil the Prius will hold. :huh:

What did the total amount of oil come out to be?

17. Kathleen2

Kathleen2 New Member

18. Danny Diesel

Danny Diesel Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellBoy @ May 13 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]254804[/snapback]</div>

I made my own mag. oil plug from a round magnet 1/4 " X 1/4 " bought it from Lee Valley and the original plug,
    cost .99 cents
    I change my oil about between 3 and 4 thousand miles. every time I remove the plug it has a gray bobble of matelic oil over the magnet.

19. ncc1701mda

ncc1701mda Junior Member

What did you use to adhere the magnet to the plug?

20. puppetmasta

puppetmasta New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kathleen2 @ May 12 2006, 11:45 PM) [snapback]254583[/snapback]</div>
    Any tips for a new prius owner that is thinking about doing their own oil changes?

I'm at about 2k miles on my prius and have been tossing the idea back and forth about doing my own changes. Mainly because I can control what oil goes in, how much goes in, etc. Also I don't know if I trust my car with most places.

I've never done an oil change on a car myself so I'm looking for the beginners approach. My main questions are :

1. Where do you take the used oil?

2. How do you prop up the Prius when you do the change? I'm assuming you just jack it up. If so where's the best place for the jack?

3. Any special tools needed?

4. Do you recommend a magnetic drain plug?

5. What is a fumoto valve? Does it help in changing the oil the next time?

Thanks!