1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Having trouble starting my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ChappaquaPrius, Apr 15, 2013.

1. ChappaquaPrius

ChappaquaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any ideas about why I'm suddenly having trouble starting my 2010 Prius when cold? I depress the brake and push the start button, but lately, sometimes the car doesn't start. It will start as if I didn't have my foot on the brake and the dash will light up. To get it to start fully I have to depress the brake and hold the start button down for 10-20 seconds. Then it starts.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have your 12V battery checked.

Codyroo likes this.
  3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Could be ur 12v accessory batt.

I know that when it's disconnected & then reconnected u have to cycle the power twice to make it ready.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat. at first i thought, why would a v have a bad 12v? but i see you are in the wrong forum. you can test the battery, bu it probably needs to be replaced, altho, i'm not sure why holding the button down is helping?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *Moved to Gen 3 Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting*

6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you saying that the Ready light doesn't come on at first or simply that the engine doesn't start at first?

7. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had similar issues (assuming you don't get the "READY" light after pressing the power button). It was my 12 volt battery (it started giving me trouble within 6 months of purchase and was replaced after 18 months).

8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It is normal for the gas engine to delay starting until the power from it is actually needed. The main indication that you should look for is the READY light. Once it's ON, you should be able to put the car in gear and drive normally. The electric motors provide motive power even when the gas engine is stopped. The gas engine runs intermittently, stopping whenever the power is not required to move the car, charge the battery, or heat something.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, not entirely sure what you mean by "Start".
    If you are depressing the brake, hitting the start button, which should be illuminated green and the dash is powering up, you have started the vehicle.

With a Prius starting the vehicle doesn't always coincide with the engine firing up. It is "ready" however and will move under electric power.

10. wooski42

wooski42 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had something similar happening in my 2010, that is almost 2years old now. One thing ive noticed that the HUD on the window (the one that displays the speed on the windscreen, not the main display) will be all fuzzy as it displays the prius logo. usually resulting in the car just staying in the ACC mode, and i then need to switch it off then back on again, then it boots with the READY.
    Im thinking that there isnt enough power to charge the brakes and kick the inverter etc. i tried to explain this when it had its 18month service and was told no fault found. As sometimes you can hear it struggle to charge/prime the brake as soon as you open the driverside door.
    i have a scanguage hooked up and there are no codes found. Maybe i just got a dud 12v battery, as i think it was sitting in the lot for a while when i bought it.