1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Having trouble with HV battery.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Ol drippy, Aug 12, 2023.

1. Ol drippy

Ol drippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    About 4 or 5 days ago I got the dreaded red triangle of death, so I took my car home and parked it.

I got tech stream out and connected it to the car to see what the problem is, it returned codes of p3000 and p3009, under hv battery live the 3009 code reads leak detected.

I reset the codes, turned the car off, then I turned it to the on position and waited, the warning came back, from what I understand if the car is in the on position and not the run position that means the issue is in the hv battery.

I tried to toggle the battery blower fan on and off but the battery blower fan will not turn on at all, I do hear a relay flipping in the battery but nothing happens.

I took the battery apart and cleaned all the bus bars and re attached them, then I watched the voltages on the battery blocks, they would charge as high as around a bit over 16 volts with the engine running, and they would slowly drop to around 15 volts over about 10 to 15 minutes with the engine off before it would start up again.

when I had the battery apart I did check each cell with a multimeter, they all read around 15.5 volts.

I also removed the battery control module, and opened it, it looked ok, but obviously you can't always tell by just looking at a circuit board if it's bad or not.

I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, if the battery control computer has gone bad, the battery itself, or something else in the battery circuit causing an issue.

I did take screen shots of the tech stream battery live data if anyone thinks they can help but needs a bit more than I've provided.

Thank you in advance for any help I get, I've solved a good number of problems with this car mostly from reading forums, but this one has me puzzled a bit.

2. Ol drippy

Ol drippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sorry, forgot to mention, it's a 2003 Prius.

3. Bruce Berquist

Bruce Berquist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    A reading voltage of 15.5 is okay but not great, but it is definitely runnable.

My 2003 Gen1's reconditioned 240000mi battery's resting voltage is around 16.1v.

That generic p3000 and the p3009 also Indicates other possibilities than "leaks".
    What are the individual resistance ohms of each cell. .0021-.0027 are pretty healthy. .003+ and .002- are getting out of healthy specifications.

Balanced voltage is important but bad or out of balance resistance ohms will cause the cells not to charge and discharge in an even balanced way, and throw codes.

Also, if you read good balanced voltages physically with meters, but your OBD readings are out of balance, or you still are getting leak and break type codes, you could have a cracked or broken sensor wire connecter, or even a broken sensor wire that is losing continuity, intermittently or totally.
    I had this broken wire experience with a brand new bus bar/sensor wire harness. The break was inside the insullation and was frustratingly difficult to detect.

If you can see any gel like fluid leakage coming from the cell terminals and to the battery pan, then you are leaking voltage from that bad cell. Replace that cell.

Good luck in your troubleshooting.
    I have a pretty strong feeling that the actual issue that is triggering codes is not an issue with the core components of your battery and that your battery does not need replacing. It needs some love and some servicing.

You've got a great car. I absolutely love my 2003 Gen1.

4. Ol drippy

Ol drippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the response, lots of great pointers for me.

I'm guessing you're saying I should read each cell with my multi meter for resistance? Is that correct?

the inside resistance on tech stream from units 1 to 9 all read about 0.020 ohm if that's what you are referring to.

I did see where some guy on YouTube tested the wiring to the battery in resistances on each line, I'm sorry to say I got kind of lazy and just checked continuity on each line but didn't actually check to make sure the resistance is proper, I'll open it and check that again properly tomorrow. This is what I get for not just doing it right the first time.

Bruce Berquist likes this.
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You really need to focus on finding the module or modules that are physically leaking electrolyte. If you find leaking modules, you need to ensure the residual electrolyte is thoroughly cleaned off the case before reassembly.

The leak referred to in the error message for P3009 is an electrical leakage.

It just so happens that when an electrical leak is detected, it is by way of leaking electrolyte providing the pathway to ground.

ammdb and Bruce Berquist like this.
  6. Ol drippy

Ol drippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'll look again, the first time I opened the battery I didn't find any leaks on any cells.

While the battery is apart I guess I should load test the cells and see if I can identify any bad ones.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A leaking module doesn't necessarily have any degradation of voltage. You just need to visually inspect. Look for staining on the battery case.

8. Ol drippy

Ol drippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So I opened the battery again and looked for the blue ooze electrolyte leak, I had to look real close, but eventually saw hair thin lines of electrolyte all over the battery, I never would have even known they were there unless I was to put my eyeball's inches away from the cells.

I'll be disassembling the battery today to try and figure out what exactly is happening.

9. Ol drippy

Ol drippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm not 100% sure if this gives any clues to what's going on, but I took my multi meter and set it to dc voltage, then I connected one probe to the metal internal metal case with an alligator clip, then I hooked up a probe to the other plug on the multi meter and I proceeded to probe the posts on the battery cells (bus bar and all battery plugs fully removed) and I received voltage readings on the posts that varied randomly from cell to cell starting at around .2 mv all the way to some cells reading up to around 7.5 v

I'm kind of thinking that sounds bad.

10. Ol drippy

Ol drippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hmm, my experiment of measuring voltage across the battery case and the cell posts appears to be flawed and basically worthless, I thought it would be much like measuring across two battery terminals, but I get different readings of each end of the cell battery posts. Oh well, at least I know those readings don't mean much now.

11. Ol drippy

Ol drippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok, I have all of the cells out of the battery, labeled in the position and directions they came out.

I guess I'm going to try and load test them next with the 2 amp light bulb and multi meter method.

I'm not exactly sure how to go about checking to see if each cell is leaky or not, any advice would be greatly appreciated, all I know is their is real small amounts of the electrolytes all over the cells, but a person has to look real close to see it.

12. Ol drippy

Ol drippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    All batteries load tested correct at around 7.6 volts each holding for about 5 seconds each.

I'm starting to wonder if the problem is with the battery control computer or another component in the battery case.

wish I knew how to check the batteries for leakage, that would help out immensely.

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That will do it.

You need to replace the leaky modules. Any that just had electrolyte transfer from an adjacent leaky module, but not actually leaking themselves should be okay. You do, however, need to ensure you clean the transferred electrolyte off any module you intend to reinstall.

14. Ol drippy

Ol drippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    From what I understand it turns out my experiment was almost the correct thing to do.

from my understanding you should measure the batteries out of circuit with a multi meter set on dc volts from the negative post to the bottom of the batteries metal nut holes, you will be looking for almost no voltage if the battery is not leaky, but if it is for sure leaky it will read close to full voltage.

6 of my batteries showed like around 5 volts, obviously bad.

7 of my batteries came in around a volt or a half volt, I'll change them as well because I don't trust them.

I'm posting this so if anyone has this same annoying problem and wonders across this thread it might help them out.

I'll post an update after I get my replacement batteries and test out my car to see if the triangle of death does indeed go away.

15. Ol drippy

Ol drippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks guy for steering me in the direction of leaky cells, I do believe your hunch will be correct.

16. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  17. Ol drippy

Ol drippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The update.

Replacing the leaky cells that I diagnosed with my multimeter seems to have worked, the car was on for around 20 minutes without seeing the red triangle of death come on, it used to come on within about a minute.

I was discouraged however, after tearing the battery down, getting new cells, balancing all of my battery, and going through the mind numbing task of reassembling the battery, when I turned the car on the triangle came back, so I hooked up tech stream and read the codes, same as before I fixed the battery, so out of curiosity I reset the codes and to my surprise the codes stayed off.

My computers must have kept the codes stored which kind of puzzles me a bit, I had the 12 volt battery unplugged for a couple days, so I guess that always doesn't work to reset codes.

If anyone else finds themselves facing this problem try resetting the codes with tech stream, from what I see I needed to reset my codes as just unplugging the 12 volt wasn't enough.

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is correct not all codes can be cleared by disconnecting the 12 V. That is why after completing repair work codes shouldbe proactively cleared before testing the repair.

19. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    great thread and diagnosis everyone. Thanks.