1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HCH V. Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Boots, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Boots

Boots New Member

Hello,

Just found this board, and so far have found it very informative.

I currently own a Honda civic hybrid (2003) with 29,000 miles on it. My lifetime average is around 44 or 45 MPG. I have recently been thinkig of trading this car in for the Prius. I was dissapointed to learn that the real world MPG for the Prius is around 48 to 50 MPG and not closer to the combined 55 as advertised. The HCH is less than the advertised MPG of 47/48 but only by about 3-4 MPG as I have experienced.

I really like the setup of the Prius with the multi function display, the keyless entry and start. I also like Toyota's HSD and the ability to drive on electric power only. I'm not sure I can justify the new car and only gaining 5 MPG.

O.K. so now my question.

Are there other benefits that the Prius has over the HCH that I may not be aware of, that I should consider?

Unlike many stories I have read about long waits for the Prius, My local dealer has several of them on the lot.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Other benefits?

Pride of owning 'The BEST' hybrid on the market!! ;-)

I assume you've read the features and emissions information and are aware of Toyota's reliability so I won't elaborate on those.

I honestly think you'd be silly and financially unwise to switch to a Prius. You've got a very fine car, are getting very good gas mileage, but are having 'feature envy'.... I can understand that, but it seems unwise to switch unless you've just got money burning a hole in your ATM card.

The only other 'advantage' is probably the ability to drive the Prius in a pure electric mode that the HCH is not capable of, more cargo and passenger room, and then the moderately better gas mileage. Whether you'd get the 55mpg EPA numbers depends upon a lot of factors, but the how much that would safe you in gas will be a handful of dollars compared to the major hit you'd take in depreciation.

The more advanced hybrid technology, size, HP, MPG, SKS, VSC (I don't think the HCH has that, does it?), NAV, option for the OEM XM radio, homelink/auto-dimming mirror, HID headlights and LED tail lights, etc. are a lot of fun and made my decision to purchase the Prius over the HCH quite easy. But in your shoes, already having the HCH, it would be darned hard to justify the switch until you get to your usual point where you decide to buy a new car (ie, I usually do so every 5-6 years or after about 120k miles)

3. guyboston

guyboston New Member

I tested the HCH extensively before I bought my Prius. While I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of room in the HCH considering my height, (6'2"), I couldn't embrace the idea of being trapped in it for long trips.

The layout of the Prius gave me the FEELING of having more space - perhaps because of the free flow of the passenger compartment into the hatch area.

There were a few other benifits that came together to make me shake loose more $ for the Prius over the HCH, one being the tires. The Prius ride, once the novelty of the constant negotiations of the HSD managing power wear off, is much more car-like. I just drive it, and once in a while remember to see how I am doing MPG wise. I have even run it out of gas, and I know my fellow chatters will adamently state that you should never do this, but it was late at night and there was no traffic, and I limped 2 miles to a gas-station going 20MPH. The car complained constantly but survived my irresponsible test!

My short opinion is, if you find that you have outgrown the HCH you will be perfectly happy moving into a Prius.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with Evan. Keep the car. When items start breaking... Transmission.. battery dies, etc... then make the switch.

I would hope they made the battery system in the civic better then the insight. Insights have been reported to die. :( poor things. You do have warranties though.

Switch with the next prius model. you have about 3 years :)

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got into a 'discussion' of the city mileage over at Yahoo, and finally noticed that one person who was getting 61MPG also had a 35 mile 1-way drive to work. My 8-mile drive isn't doing me better than 44MPG now, and maybe 49 tops in better weather.

That said, my next trip to Florida should again be with one tank and 54MPG, unless my karma is down. THAT is over the EPA estimate, which is why I refer to my car as a trip-mobile...

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Actually, depending on your driving, you certainly can get 55MPG. I get anywhere from 53-57 MPG driving mostly 50 miles averaging 45 MPH with stops about every 2 - 5 miles.

Depends on driving speed, distance per trip, and weather conditions.

But I would agree, unless you are looking to upgrade class of car, as in deciding between an Accord hybrid or a Prius, keep your car. You still have very low mileage, and the gas savings will not recoup purchase costs.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If I had a HCH right now, I wouldn't be in a rush to get a Prius.

First, because the HCH is a prefectly good car, and if it's serving your purpose there's no need to go to the expense of changing. The mileage difference is, really, pretty marginal compared to acquisition costs (Even if it isn't as Green as the Prius :) )

But, second, because Honda is re-designing both the regular Civic and the HCH. They have promised that the next-gen HCH, presumably out next year, will be a major improvement over the current one. Given Honda's skills, I don't doubt it.

So, if it was me, I'd wait a year, then ask the question "Prius-II or HCH-II?".

I suspect the HCH-II will be quite a vehicle.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with Tempus and wait for the next gen HCH then compare the two and decide whether you really want to upgrade. Used car prices for the HCH *may* rise due to increase demand for those who want one but cannot afford a new one.

9. flying

flying New Member

I think I know how you feel. I had a 2004 Honda Civic hybrid which was a wonderful car. However, the Prius is much more car in most every way than the Honda. The Honda was a comfortable car for the front seat folks but not in the back. The trunk being so small and the back seats not folding down for long loads made it extremely unhandy. My 2005 Prius gets 50 mpg easily and has the hatch back w/ huge back seats and lots of knee room front and back and rides very cushy compared to the Honda. I agree that you wont make up the difference in gas mileage for a while but you will like the car much better and have a much greater value. I would go for it if it meets your budget.

10. GKarschnick

GKarschnick New Member

Just to add some data. I drove from Melbourne, FL to Atlanta, GA last month. Total distance was 1080 miles. I used one tank going and one tank returning. My overall average was 54.1 MPG. That's combined driving, but mostly highway.

11. ratrent

ratrent New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boots\";p=\"73579)</div>
    Just wanted to point out that your average of 44.5 is 7% less than the advertised MPG, whereas for the Prius 49 is 11% less than its advertised average.

However, your experience with the HCH seems to be considerably better than "typical" real-world values, which are estimated to be something like 20% less than EPA mileage. So there's a significant chance that you may get better than 49 MPG in a Prius.

Based on your 7% drop from EPA in the HCH, you might, for example, achieve mileage in the range of 51 MPG in the Prius, assuming similar driving styles.

So you might want to test yourself in a Prius for a few days (rent one?) before making this particular judgement. Even that's somewhat flawed, because I would expect that the most efficient driving styles for the two cars are probably quite different, considering the differences in how they work.

12. bookrats

bookrats New Member

The only other advantages of the Prius over the HCH are:
    • The Prius is a hatchback
    • Lower emissions on the Prius (though relatively small difference when compared to a HCH

• And I'm with Evan -- I'd stick to your guns. That's a very nice car.

(I need to do a search -- has it been confirmed whether the HCH II will be another "mild" hybrid, or whether it will be a full hybrid? (Or something else in-between?))

13. Boots

Boots New Member

Thank You for all your input.

I really like my HCH. The only drawback of the car is the limited storage space, since the rear seats don't fold down. When I drive, I tend to drive to maximize fuel economy, and do all the stuff like anticipating stops and keeping my speed down on the interstate (uaually between 60-65). My last tank got me about 42.5 MPG. We had a lot of cold rainy weather and a lot of delays on the interstate that hurt. I like the prius in that when I'm creeping along in a traffic jam at 5-10 MPH I could run on electric only. For now however, I agree that the best thing to do is hold on to the car I have and see what develops in the next three to four years after the car is paid off.

Thanks again for your help.

14. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The New HCH will certainly be IMA technology like all the Hondas.

However, there is a hatchback body coming in the new Civic line, and with any luck they'll offer that in the HCH :)

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    probably more efficient than that of the Accord's IMA. That'll be cool if they did as that would attract more buyers who want the practicality of a hatch without stepping up to the full-featured Prius (Unless they also happen to load up the Civic Hybrid)

16. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus\";p=\"73687)</div>
    Good move Honda! First smart move they've made in some time.

17. ml194152

ml194152 Member

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Boots;

many are in the same boat as i am and that is

"in my real world" i do average the EPA estimates. winter time is lower because of the different formulation of the gasoline. but last fall i had 5 tanks in a row that exceeded the EPA of 55 mpg. that eliminates errors resulting from different levels of the fillups.

my driving habits, we have freeways that vary from 55 to 70 mph. on the 70 mph road i drive 70. on all others i usually do 65 (yes even on the 55 mph ones)
    now frequently, traffic dictates the real speed, but i am not putterer by any means. there were times, i admit, last summer right after i got my car where i made excuses to go somewhere. (before you jump on me realize, it was at or near 100º and i dont have air conditioning in my home, so the car was a HUGE relief) but you will find that 59 mpg on the streets will be nearly impossible to hit and 51 mpg on the freeway will be nearly impossible to miss.

but the bottom line is that i have to agree with others on this forum. unless you need another car in addition to your HCH, it would not be wise to buy. imho, the Prius is head and shoulders above the HCH, but at the same time, the HCH has the same advantage over nearly any other small commuter car.

19. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ml194152\";p=\"73783)</div>
    Nice! If I hadn't been set on the Prius, this would have gotten me to trade in the '87 Civic DX hatchback.

From the pictures, I like the looks of it more than my current compact hatchback favorite, the Suzuki. (And I'd have a lot more confidence in the reliability of the Honda than the Suzuki to boot.)

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"73668)</div>
    That is not true.

SULEV is significantly cleaner than ULEV.

Quite a number of traditional vehicles offer ULEV too, over 90 in fact. So the belief that the Civic-Hybrid is doing anything to help the smog problem is incorrect. There is an exception though, there is a SULEV version of Civic-Hybrid CVT available in certain areas (like CA & NY). But Honda's refusal to offer the SULEV nationwide and the continued support for the ULEV version is big negative, something I'm very upset about. Perhaps, they will improve in 2006.

Accord-Hybrid is only available as ULEV. Prius, Escape-Hybrid, RX400h, and Highlander-Hybrid are all SULEV (or cleaner).