1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HD radio instead of SAT radio?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by snowman83, Jun 9, 2006.

1. snowman83

snowman83 New Member

Hmmm, I've searched for this topic but haven't found any answers so far. I was wondering - is it possible to get an add-in to the Prius sound system so that it's possible to receive HD radio? Personally, I'd rather pay a one-time price for an up-and-coming technology rather than pay a monthly subscription fee.

Anyone have any insights into HD radio possibilities with the Prius?

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm curious and interested too. There's been alot of advertising around it lately. I'll imagine most cars will offer it stock once the technology matures, but I'd like the option to add it into my car as well.

::bump::

3. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snowman83 @ Jun 8 2006, 11:48 PM) [snapback]268472[/snapback]</div>
    HD radio has better sound, if you can hear it, but suffers from the same problems as other normal radios. When you drive away from a station, you lose it. Not many stations broadcast in this mode and many who do just do so with a part of their lineup, their "hybrid" mode. Programming is random.

With satellite radio you can tune in a favorite station and hear it from LA to NYC without changing anything. The programming is unique and allows one to hear virtually anything they want, from kids programs to X-rated. The all-music stations are commercial-free. I subscribe to XM and wouldn't think of going back to regular radio. I love folk music, for example, and they have a channel devoted to it. You can't miss finding a station out of the 160 or so that fits your bill. The only drawback I find is that the commercials broadcast on the talk stations tend to get very repetitive after a while. Their advertising base isn't that great. Also the titles and artists are limited to a 16 (I think, without going out to look) character display on your MFD. This makes for some peculiar data: "Englebert Humper Some Enchanted E" for example.

Satellite is a pretty up-and-coming technology also. Good luck in your choice.

4. deramirez

deramirez New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Aug 22 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]307776[/snapback]</div>
    FYI, DICE Eletronics is about to come out with an HD radio package. See: http://www.diceelectronics.com/
    I'm on their wait list for my '06.
    Dan