1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HD Radio replacement for XM????

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Paul58, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My initial 3 months of free XM is going to expire next month, and I refuse to pay for something that is freely available over the air waves, i.e. music!

I know the auto manufacturers probably receive some hefty kick-backs from XM (especially with subscription price they charge the consumer), so there's probably no incentive for the manufacturers to offer HD Radio as an alternative to the subscription based XM, but what about aftermarket?

Is there a universal plug-n-play module that can replace the factory XM module on the OEM radio?

I'd love to have the capability of tuning in HD Radio for free because in about 27 days, XM in my Prius will become added vehicle weight and nothing more...

Anything out there that will work with OEM equipment?

2. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I suspect XM subsidizes at least part of the hardware costs. Check the bargain sites like fatwallet. SiriusXM is offering deep discounts to retain subscribers.

PAC has a radio tuner (including HD). It's around $100 but you have to use it in conjunction with their I-Pod adapter or aux adapter. Probably at least another $100 Probably not worth the cost.

You can get details from either pac-audio.com or installer.com

3. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm sure they do, but with XM being offered in just about every vehicle sold today, you'd think the interface would be universal to cut costs and ensure compatibility with every brand radio offered in vehicles that include XM. And if it is a universal interface, you'd think someone would come up with a way to integrate an HD Radio Receiver to utilize that interface, and thus offer OE type control through the factory radio without the need for additional interfaces...

I looked at this, but I'm a bit skeptical of how well it would work and what the sound quality would be like.

Best Buy sells a portable HD Radio for $50, but it doesn't have a USB Interface and the antenna is incorporated into the headphones, so it's not a viable option either. Would be nice if iPod had incorporated HD Radio into the Nano instead of just FM. I know Zune has HD, but I don't know if it works through the USB Port, if so, that may be an option because it would play MP3 and HD Radio...

Anyone try a Zune using the USB Interface in the Prius?

4. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Actually they're going the other way. Proprietary interface so customers who want to add SAT have to buy the unit from car mfg. My understanding is XM is built into HU. There is no external connector that could be used.

An I-Pod interface is the "standard". Why do you think a different brand HD would be any better then the PAC? The PAC uses your existing antenna.

5. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I thought I read somewhere the XM Module was mounted under the front seat on the 2010 Prius... Not sure though. If so, then a HD Module that would just raplace the XM Module would be perfect, and would probably be a great seller being as there are no strings attached (i.e. a subscription).

I just want some thing that's easy to install and would interface with the OE System, in my case the Nav System. If there was a unit that plugged in the OE HU or utilized the USB Port I'd be happy, as long as it didn't cost an arm and a leg!

6. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I thought I read somewhere the XM Module was mounted under the front seat on the 2010 Prius... Not sure though. If so, then a HD Module that would just raplace the XM Module would be perfect, and would probably be a great seller being as there are no strings attached (i.e. a subscription).

I just want some thing that's easy to install and would interface with the OE System, in my case the Nav System. If there was a unit that plugged in the OE HU or utilized the USB Port I'd be happy, as long as it didn't cost an arm and a leg!

7. mhmercer

mhmercer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here are several that might work for you.

Marshal

8. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My understanding, from this forum, is JBL unit which includes SAT has the XM built in to the HU. A couple of poster said the SAT antenna plugs directly into the HU.

The add on satellite for the Prius II might be mounted under a seat.

I think it costs around $400 for the Toyota XM kit. You can price an aftermarket solution. I think a third party adapter, with SAT tuner, will cost $350-$400.

You can get an IPOD adapter for many factory radios and almost all aftermarket units (excluding entry level products). Making a HD tuner to work with an IPOD interface is more of a "universal solution" then trying to come up with a solution that works with a manufacturers proprietary satellite interface. It costs around $60 just to buy an adapter which lets you use the Toyota XM antenna with an aftermarket SAT receiver.

I don't think it's worth the money but the PAC unit does exactly what you want. It adds HD radio to your factory HU.

9. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree, and it seems like you have to purchase about three different parts to make it work, and end up with more than what I actually need. HD Radio, iPod Interface Module and vehicle specific harness... Total costs ends up over $200.00 and I don't need a second iPod Interface, already have one (although this one may actually work better). will be doing more research...

Thanks for all the inputs!

10. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Paul--I don't think it will work. According to the "fine print" the adapter requires a radio with a SAT button. It further states Toyota units which have the XM logo on the HU have the SAT receiver included in the HU---their interface isn't compatible since there isn't anything to plug it into.

You might call Crutchfield. Maybe something is compatible with your I-Pad interface.

11. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Story of my life! I looked on Crutchfield's site, plugged in the info on my Prius, and it came up with a list of every HD Radio component they had, and all said "Not Compatible"!

I wish I was an electrical Engineer and understood this crap, because it sure seems like it wouldn't be too hard to make an interface that would be compatible with a standard vehicle USB Port and have it connect to a portable HD Radio unit that didn't require the headphones be plugged in to receive a signal!

UPDATE: I may be in luck! Because I have the in dash Nav, it has the SAT Button and doen not hav XM printed on the HU. I looked under the seat, and there is a box mounted under there, so maybe that's the XM receiver and I may be in luck!

12. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not an EE, but in my Package IV with JBL & Nav, the sat tuner is mounted under the driver's seat as well...it's actually a Pioneer tuner. I believe that all the connections/wiring harnesses are proprietary and built to work with just the OEM head unit/sat tuner combo...but I could be wrong. I'll attach some pictures of what the connections look like and you can judge for yourself. As you can see, there is an empty socket for another wiring harness...not sure what may go there....maybe check the wiring diagram??? 100_1566.jpg

13. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is that picture upside down? I just looked at mine and it's identical, except the small module is under the larger one. All the connectors appear to be identical as well. I did not see any indication that it was Pioneer, but then I did not remove it either.

So, which module is the XM Receiver, large or small? What is the other Module? Is the other for the iPod Interface? Could a compatible HD Radio Receiver be plugged into the empty socket? Hmmm...

I know Pioneer makes a HD Radio Receiver that works with their HUs, I wonder if they would be a direct replacement for this unit, or maybe plug into this unit to provide additional functions?

14. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oops... Computer burped and double posted!

15. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota buys more then a couple of units from Pioneer.:) The units are designed to work with the Toyota data bus, not Pioneer. That's why you can't plug a Pioneer XM SAT tuner into a Toyota HU.

If it worked, or could be done with a simple adapter, places like Crutchfield and PAC-Audio would have the cables/adapters/instructions.

Look at it this way. You can't use a factory BT mic with an aftermarket HU. You can't use a factory XM antenna with an aftermarket XM tuner without an expensive adapter.

16. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In my case, the smaller unit was on top. The larger (bottom) unit is the Pioneer sat tuner...I'll attach another pic that shows this...intrestingly, the sat tuner has a similar model number to Pioneer's aftermarket units. I believe that the smaller unit is probably part of the USB port assembly (in the armrest console).

Attached Files:

17. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, does the PAC-Audio Module plug into this unit, or into the back of the HU? If it plugs in here, I may attempt this on my own! Not to keen in tearing into the dash though...

18. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Paul--You can call PAC or D/L the instructions. I have no idea if you can "daisy chain" to the empty jack under your seat. I'm sure the unit is designed to be plugged into your HU. The unit works for cars without a SAT tuner, it has to be able to plug into the HU.

You should read the installation threads. You're going to have to decide if you're willing to pull the HU or if you want to pay an installer.HD radio plugs into your factory antenna. The HU has to be removed. It really sounds easy.

Come to think of it you want to plug it into your HU. That's where your antenna is and that's where your HD tuner is going to wind up.

19. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a guy who can do the installation, I'll have to have him do some research and see what it will entail and what the cost will be. The PAC-Audio Interface looks like it will connect two accessiries, so I wonder if the XM will continue to work. I don't plan on renewing the subscription, but eventually the car will get sold and the next owner may want XM. I just want the ability to add HD Radio and get some decent quality stations for free. Seems to be plenty available in the metro Atlanta area...

20. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    XM is offering some attractive deals to retain subscribers. It would be easier, and maybe cheaper, to skip HD radio. It looks like parts will cost $200-$300 plus another $100??? to install.