1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HD Radio vs regular radio

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by norahs, Jul 16, 2012.

1. norahs

norahs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Everyone,

I've had my C3 for about 2 weeks now. I notice that when listening to a regular FM station, it goes in and out of HD quality(passing by trees, under overpasses, or randomly). During the switch, the sound quality change is so noticeable. I found the setting to keep it in HD only but I still experience the sound change while driving. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dropping back to regular FM on HD radios is common on HD radios. The HD signal is much weaker that the regular FM signal so the radios frequently drop back to regular FM. That said, dropping out when going by trees sounds extreme.

The SF Bay area is a difficult reception area compared to most metropolitan areas.

norahs likes this.
  3. norahs

norahs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for your quick reply! I should clarify that it is not dropping next to all trees... Just on occasion with multiple large trees lined up.

A quick search over to Prius V forums reinforces that this behavior(HD radio in and out) is normal.

Thank you again!

4. Surrylic

Surrylic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Normal for me too. I noticed that normally I don't get a real HD signal on the DC101 station until about 45 miles into my drive to work, which is a direct line drive toward where the station broadcasts from.... then randomly a couple weeks ago I picked it up near my apartment. And never again lol. For a second I was pretty excited that they had increased the HD area, but must have been a glitch XD

SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 ? 2