1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

He is moose hunting and his 12v battery drained

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by seeh2o, Oct 15, 2016.

1. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Oh my dear Ed...he is moose hunting in Wyoming. Left his 2009 Prius at his sister's house, bumped the dome light when he got out and now his 12v battery is drained. He's still in moose camp, so I'm posting for him here. His 12v battery is only 12 months old. How does he go about charging it enough so that his car will start and he can run it to recharge it? I've searched and searched, but can't find anything that clearly tells me how to recharge it. FYI, he isn't technically inclined so, with that in mind, please direct me to instructions which follow the KISS principle. Thanks in advance.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he can jump start it from another car, if he has jumper cables. otherwise, he will need to buy a charger, or take the battery out and bring it to a store that can charge it.

to jump it, you would hook the positive battery post of another car to the jump start post of the prius, which is in the fuse box under the hood. and the negative battery post of the other car to an unpainted nut or bolt under the hood of the prius.

CAUTION! do not cross pollinate the positive and negative, or expensive damage can be done.

i hope it wasn't bullwinkle :oops:. all the best!(y)

Stevewoods and seeh2o like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you can pick up a ~4 amp range smart charger and get it hooked up and running right away, the battery may be recoverable. A charging session with a really depleted battery should be done in under 12 hours.

Specific brand that will work well:

CTEK 3300 ($50~)

Hook up would be SIM to bisco's description.

seeh2o and bisco like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Even if a charge works, it's a "reprieve", doesn't completely undo what's happened. The battery will be weakened, life shortened, but it may still be fine for a few years. Just good to be aware. :)

seeh2o likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2009? a smart and simple move would be to replace the battery. triple a or somesuch?

seeh2o likes this.
  6. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1 Just have AAA do the jump (and hold the liability if they mess it up!)

seeh2o likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, do not start the donor car while the jumper cables are connected. The best bet is to start the Prius to 'Ready' with the donor car still turned off, then promptly disconnect the cables. Only then restart the donor car.

Disconnect the black / negative cable from both cars before disconnecting the reg / positive cable at either end. In a recent case, a Prius owner removed both clamps at the other car, then accidentally touched the clamps together, killing the Prius by blowing a fusible link. Had he disconnected the other end of the black cable before any red cables, the accidental touch would have been harmless.

That link is more expensive and harder to replace than a regular fuse, though still vastly easier and cheaper than replacing the electronics it protects.

#7 fuzzy1, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    valde3 likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    OP says the 12 volt battery is only a year old.

bisco likes this.
  9. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    This battery is only a year old, he'd replaced his original one last year. I said the same thing until he revised me it was fairly new.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  10. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks for all the replies, I made screenshots and forwarded them to him!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I saw a MacGyver episode where he took a moose ,some lemon juice and made an emergency jump starter :)

seeh2o and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is that the one where it didn't work, he got depressed, slit open the moose's belly and crawled in? :p

seeh2o likes this.
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...also note that the 2004 Prius 12v battery charges quite slowly, so if you get the car started, if you have a long drive that is good. Otherwise you might want to keep it running maybe an hour or so in PARK. Or use a trickle charger to restore the charge.

14. mortweaver

mortweaver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For those that believe the Prius 12 volt battery is a no maintenance battery...think again! Since the first Gen Prius from 2001, Toyota has perpetrated a lie! The 12 volt battery is not a sealed lead acid battery, but is instead a vented lead acid battery (for understandable liability reasons since it is located within confines of passenger compartment). With the loss of water vapor over time due to charging cycles, what you end up with is charging a battery with low electrolyte cell levels... leading to failure for lack of maintenance! I currently own my third Prius which is a 2014 Prius V used with 25,125 miles at purchase. I pulled the 12 volt battery, removed the "no maintenance" battery label and scored around the opaque plastic plate (bonded in place) with an utility knife. After removal of the cell slot cover plate, I found all of the cell electrolyte levels to be below the top of the cell plates. It took approx. 1&1/2 cups of water to bring the cell levels back up to 1/2 inch above the top of the cell plates. If it were not for the light electrical load on the 12 volt battery (not used to crank engine for starting), vehicle owners would probably be experiencing even high failure rates. I am not far away from 400,000 miles of experience with the Toyota Prius. It was my Gen II Prius where after almost three years the 12 volt battery failed and I discovered the failure was due to my own ignorance and Toyota's possible willful negligence. Who stands to profit by not specifying maintenance intervals on the 12 volt battery? I have adopted annual inspection of cell levels on my Prius autos going back over 10 years ago.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    now you're just being silly. why pollute this thread with negative comments. if you want to whine, start your own thread, or better yet, if you feel you have helpful advice, add it to the existing thread about topping up the battery water.

Stevewoods likes this.
  16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The original equipment 12V battery is AGM (absorbed glass mat). It is not supposed to contain substantial liquid electrolyte, certainly not at 1/2" above the plates.

Stevewoods likes this.
  17. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some would say the drained battery is KARMA:

[​IMG]

bisco likes this.
  18. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Yeah, it's better to watch them die a slow painful death from starvation in the winter because the herd is to big and there's not enough food to go around.

19. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Which then feeds the wolves, the coyotes, the crows, the bears, etc. But, I digress off-topic. :whistle:

20. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Find a moose, tell the moose (he/she) is ugly, then let the adrenaline do the rest. Should make it home in no time.

seeh2o likes this.