1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

He loves the smell of money in the morning

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tag, Jan 7, 2004.

1. tag

tag Senior Member

Duvall: Money Was 'Godfather III' Issue

By The Associated Press

NEW YORK - Actor Robert Duvall (news) says money was the reason he didn't appear in Frances Ford Coppola's "Godfather III," in an interview to air Wednesday on CBS' "60 Minutes II."

"If they paid (Al) Pacino twice what they paid me, that's fine, but not three or four times, which is what they did," Duvall, 73, tells "60 Minutes II" correspondent Charlie Rose. Excerpts were released in advance.

"(Coppola) came to my farm, parked his car ... went in the kitchen. (I) said, `I know you always wanted the crab cake recipe, let me cook it for you.' Oh, he loves to eat, so I cooked the crab cake ... and he wrote it down ... and he forgot it, so he called twice. He was ... more concerned that he forgot the crab cake recipe than would I be in `Godfather III.'"

There was a kid I didn't grow up with, he was older than me. Sort of never hooked up with me, you know. We never worked together, and never worked our way out of the street. During Prohibition we weren't even born so we never ran molasses into Canada. As much as anyone I loved him and trusted him to make decent films. Later on he had an idea to make a movie. That kid's name was Francis Ford Coppola and the movie he made was Godfather III. This was a great man -- a man of vision and guts. And there isn't even a PLAQUE, or a SIGNPOST, or a STATUE of him for making that movie. Someone put a miserable script before his eyes. No one knows why he made that movie. When I saw it, I wasn't angry. I saw Coppola's other films; I heard he was headstrong -- talking loud, saying stupid things. So after I spent my money on a ticket for Godfather III -- I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the movie I had chosen! I didn't ask why he made the movie, BECAUSE IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH MY DECISION TO SEE IT!! That money in the bag in my room...I'm going in, take a nap. When I wake, if the money's about $6 less, I'll know I wasted it on Godfather III. If it's all there, I'll know I didn't.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not sure if you saw it, but his daughter, Sophia, latest film, "Lost in Translation" is by far the best movie I've seen this year (well, 2003, but you know what I mean).

And yes, LOTR comes in a close 2nd. Last Samurai a very very close 3rd.

Bill Murray better at least be nominated for an Oscar or I'll go on a rampage :guns:

3. tag

tag Senior Member

I haven't seen it (I'm way behind; haven't seen LOTR yet but am planning to this weekend). However, I thought The Virgin Suicides (not sure if you saw that one) was very well done.

Damn near everything I've heard about Lost in Translation has been positive so I'm sure I'll get around to seeing that, sooner or later. Problem is, the kids, more likely than not, would probably not be all that interested so I may have to wait for the DVD. :(

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, the kids would not enjoy LiT, but they will enjoy LOTR.

I have The Virgin Suicides sitting on a shelf waiting to be watched.. just haven't sat down to watch it yet.

I was very surprised by Last Samurai. I'm not a huge Tom Cruise fan, though I enjoy almost all of his movies. He was downright good in this movie, though.

5. tag

tag Senior Member

Well, he got a GG tonight (best comedy actor) plus the movie picked up best comedy film and best screenplay......not too bad.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think this is the first year that the GGs have listened to me on just about every award :)

7. tag

tag Senior Member

You mean you didn't think The Hours should have beat LOTR:The Two Towers? :wink: