1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

head bolt heater?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pete bogumill, Aug 27, 2006.

1. pete bogumill

pete bogumill New Member

question? i heard a lot of prius owners asking do we really need to put a head bolt heater on? climate is wisconsin. winters are not devastating cold but average. since a prius doesn't start like an average car then is this really necesary? i have a friend that lives in the same place as i and he says that you really don't need one? anyone care to explain a little? thanks. ;) pete

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that like an Engine Block Heater?
    The "do I really need one" question begs a definition of the word "need".
    Will the car start and run without one...sure.
    Will it reach peak operating efficiency and thus obtain maximum Fuel economy and minimize emissions without one...definately not.
    Will it warm the cabin as quickly without one...definately not.

I use one down here in the more temperate Ozarks of SW MO with a garaged car. I don't "Need" it, but can say that my winter FE is noticably better, particularly on shorter trips (ie. 4-5 miles to take kids to daycare) than without it. I get heat in the cabin more quickly, and it's nice to have that.

The decision is purely yours, but if you do experience cold winters and need to park outside then it will make a marked difference in your winter driving and FE experience.

3. pete bogumill

pete bogumill New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 27 2006, 09:36 PM) [snapback]310377[/snapback]</div>
    thank you for your answer! :rolleyes: pete