1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Head Gasket - Good shops in the Minneapolis Area?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by climb.on, Apr 20, 2018.

1. climb.on

climb.on Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I do believe I have a blown gasket. Burning oil and antifreeze. 200k We've had the engine shutter for a while now and it's happens quite a lot - not sure if it's related, but the oil and AF is not a good sign. It's not leaking that I can see anywhere.

So I am either needing a new engine dropped or an overhaul. I guess I could just trade it too, but it's paid for and I think I'd rather just fix it.

Any suggestions for a good shop in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area?

Any suggestions for places to source a good used or rebuilt engine? (I'll be contacting LKQ today)

2. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    climb.on and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A member who is in MN that maybe able to help is @strawbrad .

Sorry to hear about your Prius :(.

Good luck with the engine swap (y).

climb.on and m.wynn like this.
  4. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I'm in MN too ( southern part )....no known 'specialty' shops down here. Are you looking for a hybrid-only type shop?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. climb.on

climb.on Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I don't really care if they are "hybrid specialty"or not, as long as they have at least some experience with these cars and can do a good job, but don't charge dealer prices. I'm sure that there are plenty of shops that aren't specialty but can certainly tackle this. I have a guy who is good with basic stuff (when I don't have time to do it myself) but I clearly don't want him doing this. I came to that conclusion rapidly when he suggested trying a bottle of stop leak...

I'm currently in the middle of building my house, and I just don't have time to do this one myself...as tempted as I am.

I'll give CarSpec a call after they open this morning.

farmecologist and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. climb.on

climb.on Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    CarSpec said it sounds like a head gasket, but would dye test to make sure. Head gasket job is about $3400. Not sure it's worth it. Car has 200k on it. I know they can still go for a lot longer, but that's a tough one. They don't install used parts, including used engines, so that's not an option with them.

7. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Yikes. In that case maybe try a can of stop leak? :(

I used it once in our old minivan and it DID help. I also think there is one other thread around here where someone used it successfully on a high mileage Prius.

JohnLS, Raytheeagle and climb.on like this.
  8. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1 on contacting CarSpec.

I searched for engines on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market . There are only 10 available in MN and they are all $1000 or more. As a comparison there are over a hundred Gen 2 engines available for much less money. All that means is the Gen 3 engines commonly fail and a used engine has a good chance of developing the same problem.

Brad

JohnLS, Robert Holt, m.wynn and 2 others like this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Stop leak (or a derivative thereof) has worked in a Gen3 ;).

I know it worked for @Joele3 for some time, just not sure how long:whistle:.

While not permanent, it can get you by for a bit(y).

m.wynn and climb.on like this.
  10. climb.on

climb.on Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Well cool. I'll spend the $10 and give it a try. Might buy some time anyway.

farmecologist and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. Joele3

Joele3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is the stuff I used :
    Solv Tec K Seal Pour and Go Multi Purpose Coolant Leak Repair, One Step, 8 Oz. - Walmart.com

The issue came back after around 7k miles and it came back with a vengeance. Never shuddered but this time it shuttered while accelerating. So I tried it again but this time I let the car sit 3 days without driving it once I poured contents in after some spirited driving.

I've put on around 11k miles since, runs good, no check engine light. I'm currently at 173k catching up to you @Raytheeagle ! One thing i'm noticing is that at a stop light I can smell exhaust fumes. I tried to use a smog probe to find out where its coming from but no dice. I'm trying to milk as many miles out of this motor as I can. I think i'll try this dance one more time and pull the intake and EGR to examine.

Forgot to mention I installed a catch can prior to adding K seal. After the 1st failed attempt the catch can caught a bunch of goo. Without a catch can I think for sure would have blocked the intake manifold ports.

12. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agree. Good idea for those sourcing a donor engine to stay well under 100k miles if possible AND clean the EGR circuit on the donor before it goes into service. And hope the donor doesn't swill a quart of oil every thousand miles:rolleyes:...

Stinkin' turd gens:eek::D...

Aaron Vitolins and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. climb.on

climb.on Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks a bunch for sharing your experience. You've got me convinced to give it a shot. I have a catch can already sitting here, as well. I'll put it in this weekend.

#13 climb.on, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  14. climb.on

climb.on Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    We noticed this in our car for a while, but now haven't had in all winter. It was when we would start the car in the morning to let it warm up. When we got it it would smell like exhaust. But I think we have a bad exhaust manifold gasket or it's cracked. Upon acceleration, when cold, I can hear exhaust sounds. I can't see a problem anywhere else in the exhaust system. Once it warms up the noise is reduced. I had the same things happening with my old civic and I could see the cracks. Anyone know if the exhaust manifold would come on a used engine? I could never get a used replacement for the civic because it had a cat built into it and salvage had to recycle them when they came in.

Is that the exhaust manifold in the front of the engine in this pic?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

#14 climb.on, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don't quite understand the question, apologies if I'm missing something, but that's rear view of the 3rd gen engine.

16. climb.on

climb.on Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Correct. This is the rear of the 3rd gen engine. Is the exhaust manifold the part with the large red cap, between the block and the photographer?

This is a pic of a used engine for sale locally. If it includes the exhaust manifold, it would be a bonus, because I believe mine is cracked.

17. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's also got the EGR cooler, a plus:

upload_2018-4-21_11-18-45.png

Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  19. climb.on

climb.on Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Well I was just assuming the connection for the cat can was there under the air filter box. I got as far as this. Looks like I have to pull the intake huh? I looked to see if I could get at it from the underside, no dice there either. If I'm going to pull the intake, I gather I should be doing some other cleaning of other ports or something while I am in there. I don't like to be spoon fed, but I don't have time to read 64 pages of the catch can thread. Any chance there is a good thread or post that details of the disassembly and what I else should be doing while I'm in there? Not sure if I will take the time to do any or all of it not. With this house build, I just don't much extra time.

Attached Files:

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For removal of intake manifold watch @NutzAboutBolts video on intake manifold cleaning here:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

Note, it's not necessary to disconnect throttle body coolant hoses, you can just unbolt the throttle body and lift it up over to the right, with hoses still attached.

Relevant excerpt from Repair Manual attached.