1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Head gasket sealent anyone try it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by johnnychimpo, Dec 28, 2020.

1. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It seems my 2010 has the dreaded blown head gasket issue. My thinking here is I can get a new head gasket installed on my 180K prius for about 900 or get a used motor with 50k miles installed for about 2k. I plan to get the used motor option. that being said in the mean time I am going to drive till the motor dies but I would like to use the gasket sealant to see if it prolongs the life of the motor.(I plan to bypass the heater when I do this). There is no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. Just coolant getting in the combustion chamber causing the Knocking.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For what it’s worth: one sealant manufacturer advises, to dissolve and flush out their sealant, a 50/50 mix of vinegar/water. You could experiment, adding the product to some coolant (which should produce some globules), then see if those globules do indeed dissolve in that 50/50 solution. If so, you know you’ll be able to rid the system of gunk, down the road.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Good pricing for a head gasket or replacement engine. Are those installed prices? Are you in California?

#3 rjparker, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Try K-Seal. It was $9.xx somewhere recently.

No need to bypass the heater it will seal any leaks there also. (Have it in our Porsche Panamera used to smell the ceramic inside the cabin now it's gone)...

moto g(7) power ?

5. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes the central coast. Found a shop that will do it for 14-17 hundred. And I got a motor from japan for 1100

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So much for the theory everything is expensive in California

7. Tickyboo

Tickyboo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had a bad engine knocking issue on startup and did all the required maintenance from spark plugs, coil fuel injectors, EGR cooler complete cleanup and eventually figured it was the head gasket dripping coolant into cylinder 2. I researched alot about the head gasket sealants and pulled the trigger on Bar’s Leak HG-1. I luckily got it for $10 brand new from someone. I followed the simple instructions, adding half the bottle to the expansion tank and running the engine for about 30mins with the heater on full blast, instructions say atleast 15mins though. Then letting it cool for about an hour, and taking it for normal driving for 50 miles (freeway & street). Let it sit overnight and the next morning till today have had no knocking or any issues. I haven’t flushed the sealant out as it’s not required for this product,however,will flush the cooling system at the next oil change, so far have driven about 4000 miles with no start up or low speed rattling. I’m glad it has worked so far for me and will see if and when it ever shows up again. Also it is supposed to be a permanent seal, well, time will tell. Keeping fingers crossed.

8. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got this gasket kit
    Evergreen HSHB2061 Head Gasket Bolts Set Fit 10-13 Lexus CT200H Toyota Prius 1.8 2ZRFXE
    on amazon will be using all of it except the head gasket. I will be using the Fel Pro from autozone.
    That being said it seems Fel PRo is the gold standard. So what is the opinion of adding the

Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket Sealer

9. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No copper spray. No Fel-Pro (except bolts).

Buy the engine overhaul gasket kit from Toyota:

2011 Toyota Prius Hatchback Engine Gasket Set - 0411137315 | Roseville Toyota, Roseville CA

(There is a promo code "freeship" that gives you free shipping).

You will also need a new FIPG Black, water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, coolant, oil and oil filter.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  11. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  12. johnnychimpo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Both have the head gasket in the set so what makes one more expensive than the other?

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’m guessing the first has more, for a complete engine overhaul. But just pulling the head there’s no point. In the amayama link I think there’s a list and diagram of what’s included.