1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Head Unit advice

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pickleweed, Nov 18, 2011.

1. pickleweed

pickleweed New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hey guys. ive got a new 2011 prius with the base 2 package. im looking to upgrade my stereo, and there a few things id like to achieve. im hoping some of you guys with experience with some of these units may be able to help -

basically, what im looking for is -

good nav - traffic is optional, but a lower priority. i also dont want it to be subscription based.

quick bootup - some of the units ive seen look like they take forever at startup

ipod integration - seems pretty standard fare at this point. but more importantly, id like to be able to use the steering wheel buttons to navigate through the ipod. id also like to be able to link videos/youtube/other apps through the head. ideally to control them through the head unit, but im not sure thats possible.

bluetooth - id like to make calls through it. not a deal breaker.

physical buttons, knobs - again, lower on the priorities, and not a deal breaker, but i prefer the tactile feel of physical buttons.

backup cam compatibility - im not sure if all heads have this expansion ability. and id also like it to be connected automatically when i place it in reverse.

good sound - yea, id like it to actually be a good radio too :) i need good a.m. reception too, as ive heard there have been reception issues with some.

hopefully im not asking for anything unreasonable. and i apologize for my n00biness regarding this. ive never been the kinda guy that typically upgrades his car. would you guys also recommend replacing the speakers? whats the typical cost for something like this? head unti, speakers, backup cam? any personal experience or opinions with this stuff would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard!

I didn't opt for Nav but you can follow the A/V upgrade link in my signature to get some ideas.

Good luck.

3. MrPete

MrPete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi! I'm about 2 weeks ahead of you ;)

My desires are quite similar. I just received (not yet installed) a Sony XNV-660BT head unit. (Picked that over the 770 to get more physical buttons.)

AFAIK, it meets your requirements. One not-quite-perfect thing I've heard is to see the backup cam quickly you must touch an "ok" button on-screen.

Will know more soon. See my sig line for a link to my installation adventure...