1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Head units

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by vidoprof, Jul 8, 2011.

1. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    so I know the topic has been covered a lot. All those threads are a little old and I have read a ton of them. All of them have short comings.

I have read the App radio has a ton of problems. The Pioneer Z130 is really bad with Bluetooth voice rec and phone calls.

the ken woods are really slow.

Anyone have any updates? I will not be getting Nav or JBL as I am going aftermarket with everything.

Anyone have recent update with opinions after a few months of use? Any updates to software or firmware that has helped?

Thanks Ryan

2. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    frenchie went from Kenwood - to Pioneer - and now to Sony. The Sony looks promising... I almost sold my Z120 to swap it - but in the end, the Pionner has a very nice user interface, and I can get by without using BT for business calls (it works - just is noisy - BT for music streaming is perfect)...

You might watch avic411.com - they ae getting close to fully cracking the Z/F series (older ones are already cracked - so that's a great value for a used HU)... Once cracked, you'll be able to run our own NAV S/W (iGo etc) - but the current SW is not too bad...

3. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am interested in getting a good answer as to what is the best HU as well. My totally base model II is coming in next week ... and the first thing I am looking to do it replace the HU.

I'd really like something with a responsive touchscreen and good iPhone integration (like the Pandora and iHeartRadio app integration I am seeing). That's my primary need. Secondary is the nav. I'd rather is be a great iPhone integration with an acceptable nav instead of the other way around.

4. cleansky

cleansky New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the best aftermarket NAV unit at this moment is Kenwood 9980HD. You're getting support for 2 iPod/iPhone, additional USB, Garming NAV, camera interface, HD radio, traffic updates, bluetooth that works, cover art for HD radio and songs/albums, voice commands, OBDII information via external module, good EQ and so on.. There is a small delay when you browse some of menus and some bugs that probably will be fixed with next FW, but it does not bother me. I choose this unit over Pioneer, Sony, JVC, Alpine, Eclipse, Rosen & Myron&Davis.

There are many things that will get better with new generation of HU, but not in next couple years.

5. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had been looking at that Kenwood 9980HD, but $1499 is a bit pricey. I don't mind spending the money if it is truly worth it though. I really like that it has Garmin as its nav. That's what I am used to using for the last 6 years.

6. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Sony XNV-770BT does virtually everything cleansky mentions for the Kenwood... and Amazon is selling them for half the Kenwood's price. 'Don't know what the Garmin has over Sony's TomTom.

BTW, what in the world is your avatar?

"Lake Bradford Bill" FSU '61, '79

Edit: Typo

7. cruzinbill

cruzinbill New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I say do this... go with either the pioneer 3300bt or the 4300 bt then add on the avic-u220 for the nav. A very nice set up with good bt. It comes out to 7-900 for the combo

MB860 ?

8. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reply guys. I really appreciate it. I am still looking at all the options. I looked at the Kenwood 9980 today and the lag between menus and such is not a big deal to me (to some it's horrendous). I rather good bluetooth, although I rarely would use it, but NAV is a good thing , but not imperative. I really ONLY watch DVDs, play CDs, and listen to regular radio. I don't even think I have heard HD radio. :)

I will continue to check this and listen to HUs and try and narrow it down.

Thanks
    Ryan

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    HD radio done right sounds good. It should work good in your area. It has less range then regular FM but then you aren't bothered by a lot of canyons and hills in Tampa

10. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    By the sounds of it, you recognized Renegade and Chief Osceola. Graduated in '03 and again in '05. Been working at FSU ever since.

11. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wanted ideas, but I want Cam 1st, Nav 2nd, and BT to talk. Can I sync with Droid?

On a side note when is apple & Google going to take over the software for HU's. We are about 3-5 years away for our cars to be completely integrated onto the web.

Do all the Pioneers, kenwoods, etc handle cams? How does one tell if it does or does not? What type of connections does the cam use?

WHere are you listening to hu's in tampa at? Best Buy? I have yet to go there as I am still driving my 06 prius. I told my self when I get the next one I will put in a sound system, as its been 10 years since I have had one. I want to rememeber what it was like to be back in high school again lol .

12. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are a couple places (not Best Buy although I might go there tomorrow). I went to Audio Itch and also to Maximum Audio both on Dale Maybry. If you get your install soon I think we could get a great deal by buying two. :)

I MIGHT just stick with my Pioneer AVIC N4 for my HU since it can do Bluetooth (with a module) and NAV and Backup Cam.

I am still deciding but REALLY leaning toward keeping my HU and save the $1000-$1800 for the new HU and just install a Line Converter.

Ryan

13. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    weel I need to get a car first. I spent 8 hours detailing my 06 in preparations of trading or selling it. I still have another 2 days to detail. I might take it to carmax on bears to see what they will appraise it at. Just to get a rough estimate. A lot of 06 are not selling well.

As for those stores, they never give good discounts, as they mark up everything :(.

I might be going with a B rated HU vs an A. Its like a puter, as soon as you get it, theres a better one out there. I will just price according to best deal. But I def want cam, and bt to talk and a decent nav. I can use aux to play off my phone.

14. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like they're getting ready to make a little Cream of Campbell Soup... some Gator mixed with Hurricane winds, etc.

Good luck with your HU... I'm happy with the Sony... you know, the ol' benefit/cost ratio--stuff from the Bellamy Building :)

15. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a friend that runs an install place here in Tampa so when / if you need some stuff I would refer you to him. PM me and I will see what I can do for you.

Ryan

1 person likes this.
  16. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just replaced my Alpine 505 with the new Nav and Bluetooth with a Kenwood DNX-9980HD. Love the new garmin nav and the two ipod thing is really great for me. I use a iphone4 and ipod classic. HD radio is finally done right and the bluetooth is much better than my alpine. Menus are slow but the sound quality versus the Alpine is like night and day difference. Not a bad built in EQ and Time alignment. Very much improved version of my Kenwood 8120 in my Altima in every respect.

Great time to purchase the Kenwood since there is a $300 rebate running right now until 7/31/2011.

17. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where do you have to buy to get 300 rebate. Where can I test drive this hi? How much is the harness kit

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  19. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
  20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How about DNX6980? I have 6960 (last year model). BTW, the backup cam doesn't need to wait until it finishes booting. You'll need to get a separate camera as it is not usually included.