1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headgasket failure imminent?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bkman, Jul 5, 2024 at 2:35 PM.

1. bkman

bkman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi all!

2010 Prius with 160K miles on it.

I’ve cleaned the intake manifold and the EGR pipe about two-three weeks ago.

The EGR valve and the cooler: haven’t touched them yet.

The car sat for a couple of days while I was waiting for a side glass replacement.

I’m in Washington state, no cold startup (the lowest reading tonight was 13°C).

Got a quick rattle this morning and three codes (no check engine light yet):
    P0300
    P0303
    P0304

Is this what I think it is: the beginning of the head gasket failure?

No noticeable engine coolant leak yet.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A rattle means the engine misfired. There can be lots of reasons for that, so I'd be inclined to back the question up to "why did it misfire", and let the answer take me to the gasket if that's where it takes me.

Even the members most likely to jump on any reported rattle as a sign of head gasket doom usually seem to agree that cylinders 1 or 2 are where that doom typically starts. Your misfires being in 3 and 4 might offer even more reason to take a deep breath and pursue the incident as misfiring, cause not yet determined.

Brian1954 likes this.
  3. bkman

bkman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    BTW, I forgot to mention in the initial post that I performed EGR flow test about a month ago. Got close to normal numbers in Techstream (18-19) despite yet-to-be-cleaned intake manifold and EGR pipe.

The only difference today was that the car sat for 2-3 nights. I usually do lots of short trips.

I’ve driven 100 miles mostly highway since I wrote this post and haven’t heard a single misfire.

I will try to do a radiator pressure test sooner than later - but Amazon keeps delaying my order for CTA Tools 7103 adapter- are there any alternatives that I could buy? Already got the Maddox radiator pressure test kit from HF.