1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headgasket repair DIY - Seals and Misc.

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by John March, Oct 25, 2023.

1. John March

John March Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hello,

I have been researching the head gasket repair including the monster DIY thread and various videos. In my area, it takes several days to get Genuine Toyota parts unless in stock and I was hoping to complete over 4 days in early November. For those that have completed the DIY head gasket repair what are some of the things outside of the following parts that I would need.

In particular, I am concerned about all of the rubber seals and o-rings. GasketMasters buys a universal kit from Harbor Freight. I try to keep it OEM unless it makes sense not to.

Tools - overall based on the tools used in the videos I should be all set. If a particular tool is a lifesaver I appreciate the info. I have a machine shop to test the cylinder head, and valves, and clean it.

1. Toyota Headgasket kit - 04111-37316 (New update) - No parts list from dealer on the website.
    2. Head Bolts
    3. Coolant / Oil
    4. Timing Chain Tensioner gasket (not sure if this is in #1)
    5. Permatex Ultra black gasket maker (Gasket Masters utilizes for timing cover) in place of FIPG.
    6. Gasket Remover / Plastic Razors / Brush

EGR / Waterpump / Thermostat are new (Changed 5k miles ago). However, after unbolting not sure if included in #1 for the water pump and thermostat.

The intake manifold seal is new ( < 5k) - not sure if I need to replace it after unbolting.

What am I missing?

I appreciate any feedback on the list above and anything you recommend I add.

#1 John March, Oct 25, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
  2. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like you have a good plan there! I've heard that the intake man gasket does need to be replaced whenever we remove it but if it's only got 5,000 miles it's probably okay. Does the engine have a throttle body gasket?

The Car Care Nut on YouTube has a few videos of him tearing down engines, might want to search his channel for the 4-cylinder.

3. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three