1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heading to dealership for a Prius Today

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ndroid3, Jun 18, 2016.

1. ndroid3

ndroid3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm headed to dealership to trade in my Altima and hopefully leave with a Prius.
    I'm looking at a certified, 2013 PIP Base, that has about 31K miles. The dealers asking price is $16,600.
    Also interested at a certified 2012, Three, equipped with a solar roof at 33K miles...dealer asking price is $15,600

Taking the $1k price difference out of consideration...any suggestions on which model to go for?

I'll be negotiating down the price and try to get atleast 10%-15% off...since both vehicles have been on the lot for over a month.

I'll keep this thread updated but your advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks all!

#1 ndroid3, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    Burna J and cdnbrit like this.
  2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As with any vehicle, it boils down to "What Do You Want?".
    Since you've already chosen 2013 PiP base, as your profile choice, AND it's the vehicle you mention first, I'm assuming it's your #1 choice.

I own a standard Prius, but the primary choice to choose it, was my living situation which makes recharging difficult. If I had access to a garage and could own my own charger or just plug in, I think I'd rather a plug in, the benefits would be worth it to me.

But the Standard Prius, is a great vehicle, IMO. And "solar" benefit aside, I personally like a sun/moonroof.
    I don't want to install one aftermarket, but if they come from the factory, I've had vehicles with them before and have always enjoyed them.

So really I think either is a good choice.
    It really might just come down to intangibles. Gut feeling when driving both, which one you like best when you actually sit in it.
    I wouldn't call either a "wrong" choice.

However, everything I've ever read about negotiating with a dealership suggests it's best if you transmit that you are willing to walk away.
    You seem pre-disposed to immediate purchase. Even if you really, really want the vehicle, you want THEM to think you're willing to walk away from the deal. I wouldn't let them know that you "plan" to do the deal today. Let them think, they NEED to sell you the vehicle, not that it's already sold to you.

As far as they should know, this is just an informational whim for you, and you really, really like your Nissan Altima, it's been a great vehicle.

You seem to have a set price you want to spend, which is good. Good Luck with both the further investigation and the probable purchase. In the end, let it be the vehicle you want the most.

PS.
    Make sure the seats are comfortable to you.
    Occasionally get threads where people have discovered AFTER purchase that they don't like the Prius seats.
    Not a problem for me--but sometimes a problem for some people.

Might be hard to ascertain on a test drive, but getting as much seat time as possible, I think is a good idea.

Ozark Man and ndroid3 like this.
  3. ndroid3

ndroid3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the input! I'll keep in mind the seat advice.
    This is also my first time attempting to buy a Used car and I would be willing to walk away as I don't need the vehicle at this exact moment. But I have been researching for a bit and these two finally popped up in my area at the right price, color and mileage I preferred.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! where is dmv? the pip is great if you can plug in at home and have a number of round trips under 15 miles or so, and that is a terrific price. after that, it's a regular prius. the downside is no spare tyre, or storage under the rear deck.

all the best with your purchase!(y)

ndroid3 likes this.
  5. ndroid3

ndroid3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks bisco. I see you have a PIP...do you always keep yours charged on a daily basis? I don't have a garage but plan to be charging it at work..but even then, it depends on if the EV parking spot is open. I could still charge from my townhouse, but it wouldn't be on a nightly basis.

I guess I'm just leaning towards the PIP because of the idea of having the option to charge and use less fuel is a plus...and I double checked the mileage and it's actually 27,000 (not the 31,000 I mentioned up top)
    Is there a negative effect on the battery if it's not being charged regularly?

BTW..DMV is DC, Maryland, Virginia ...There all within 5 to 10 min of each other.

6. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Great advice!

7. ndroid3

ndroid3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I just saw my top choice get sold in front of my eyes!
    There was one other 2012 Prius Two that I gravitated to, but I didn't want to rush and buy it without doing enough research.

I'm trading in my 2013 altima with 42000 miles on it...the basic 3 year warranty is done and I do need to replace my batter and also need new brakes and new front tires.
    The 2012 Prius has 45000 miles on it, but is certified. It has new wheels, brakes and everything else they change to get the Certified rating on it. There asking price is just under $14K.

I feel a little hesitant trading in a 2013 car for a 2012 even though the mileage is almost the same. Any advice on my current situation?
    Is a 42000mi, 2012 Prius Two worth it?

8. mrlebop

mrlebop Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hold out for the PiP. You won't regret it! There are alot of them that come off lease each year. That's how I got mine.

9. ShaAnn

ShaAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds great....I have had my 2014 Prius C for three months now....no problems at all...I bought mine with 26,432 miles on her....I only commute four miles one way to work so the mileage is usually around 44 MPG.....had a bad rattle but that was my fault.....I had put on a metal license plate frame on the back with palm trees....it rattled terribly....now she is quiet again.....I love my moon roof and it is so fun to drive!

10. Steve Lee

Steve Lee Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I do not understand why you will want to trade your 2013 Nissan Altima for 2013 Prius PIP. I suggest doing little financial calculation prior purchasing your desired vehicle, I think financially is not in your favor, but then desire like love blinds reality. If you are enviormentalist and want to make a difference, then do what you believe. If I were you I would just keep your Altima for several years...

ndroid3 likes this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    DMV- I knew that of course. But that brings up a good point.
    MD is CARB state and VA is not a CARB state.
    If you live in MD, you might want to retain the CARB warranty which Toyota requires orig purchase and use in a full CARB state as a prerequisite. However I assume you are from NoVA cause you said DMV, that seems to be NoVA lingo. In which case, never mind.

PS- We like to know your state of residence as we know the different warranties, the different taxes, incentives, are all state-based so our ability to help the most is if we know the state you live in your profile. If it's top secret, alrighty then. and I wouldn't mind knowing what dealer is selling a Cert 2013 PiP for that price.

#11 wjtracy, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016