1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

headlamps are very dim--what are my options?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Prius49507, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Prius49507

Prius49507 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2006 Prius with halogen bulbs, without fog lights. It has the original headlight assemblies. I have buffed the lenses at least 4 times (and used the included UV protectant). It helps for a few months, but not much.

I think it's time for a change. My lights are too dim for my preference, and I feel it's becoming a safety issue. The lenses are quite cloudy and yellowed and dinged-up.

Are there any quality bulbs I can try, that will make a significant change in visibility? (I already know that I need someone to change them for me.)

Or should I just get new headlight assemblies? I had a local hybrid-experienced shop quote me $788 for 2 new headlight assemblies plus labor, etc. I know I can get them around $300/pair online, so I am hoping to find an independent mechanic so I can spend less than $788.

I have Lamin-X headlight film (shaped for the 2006 headlights) that I intended to install on the current headlights immediately after buffing, but never did. If I buy new headlight assemblies, I intend to have the film installed before the headlights are installed....hoping to prolong the life of the lenses since I want this car to last forever.

Thoughts, suggestions?
    I am not a car-person or mechanically-inclined, so I'm hoping for a simple answer.
    Thanks

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could your 12V battery be weak?

Or you're certain it's the cloudy lens?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are the headlights dim when the car is off and they're running on the 12V battery?

Or when the car is READY and they're running on the DC/DC converter?

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    New assemblies are available for a lot less than $300/set at RockAuto.com
    They have several different manufacturers available from $60 to $160 each side.

There are also businesses that specialize in automotive glass and refinishing headlights. I think even Costco offered a headlight restoration service. It was very highly rated, but I'm not sure if they still offer it. Probably worth calling around.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    How about fifteen minutes per side to replace the headlight assembly with three tools likely to be in your garage? No getting under the car and the bumper stays on except for two easy bolts.

Bonus: You do it once and you can easily change the bulbs yourself without attempting to be a contortionist while doing it blind. I know a lady that paid a shop $110 to replace one bulb she supplied.

Pdf Instructions
    See attached

Rock Auto $83 per side headlight assembly
    More Information for DEPO 31211B1LUS3
    More Information for DEPO 31211B1RUS3

F
    emale mechanic doing this in 5 minutes while figuring it out. There are three bolts holding the headlight assy in but two are covered by the bumper cover.
    At 3:09 she removes the wrong bolt on the lower right of the headlight. At 4:00 she removes the correct one as the headlight slides down. The pdf shows this bolt on page 5 and the othr two on page 6.

Attached Files:

#5 rjparker, Jan 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    You've gotten 16 years out of those cheap plastic lens. Road salt and gravel pits those plastic lens causing light scatter which translate to unfocused headlamp. You can keep polishing it, but if you can't polish out those divots it's going to de-focus you light output.

I'd say replace them and install good quality LED lamps in the 5K-6K frequency range. That should keep you happy for a few years; until the new plastic headlamps get pitted up again.

Hope this helps

7. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    After buffing, polish with Meguiars Ultimate Compound, then spray with Eastwood Duraspray UV Gloss Clear.

Meguiar's G17216 Ultimate Compound - 15.2 oz. - Walmart.com
    Eastwood 2K DuraSpray Clear Coat Paint

Attached Files:

#7 alftoy, Jan 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  8. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can order stock headlight assemblies off Amazon or Ebay for less than $300 for a set. I replaced mine, my wife's, my son and my daughter's headlights on their respective cars last year. The yellowing keeps you from seeing things during night time driving. Buff kits cost way less, but if you want it done right, you really have to buff the inside as well, meaning you have to heat them up and separate the clear cover from the housing. I would just buy the headlights and install them yourself. It really is easy to do. Took me less that 20 minutes, including the time to adjust the level of the lamps afterwards.

9. Prius49507

Prius49507 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently had my battery tested. It is 2 years old. And I discussed my headlight issue with my local hybrid shop. The lenses/headlights are the problem.

The headlights are dim 100% of the time. It improves slightly when I buff the lenses, and it's not much of an improvement. But that lasts only a few months, and I have done it at least 4-5 times already.

I'm not mechanically inclined and I don't have many tools aside from basic screwdrivers.
    I see someone posted a YT video above, I will check that out.

Can you recommend some LED headlights?

#9 Prius49507, Jan 16, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2023
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The best solution is new headlight assemblies. Updated above pdf based on recent trial of procedure.

11. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Coming in late to this -- I don't get around here much anymore since I replaced my Prius with a Subaru.

But, in the event.....

This thread I posted way-back has a link to a YouTube vid that shows how to remove the assemblies very easily -- well,,,

Replace them with Tyc brand and you are out for probably less than $200, If you cannot do the simple remove/replace, do you have any friends/neighbors/men or women down the street who might do it for $100, You still would probably be out for less than $200.
    Kris

HERE'S THE LINK -- my post is about the 12th post in the thread -- scroll down until you see me:
    2006 Prius Headlight Replacement | PriusChat

12. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I would buy 2 new Halogen Housings from Amazon. https://a.co/d/9afzGBh
    150 and new Sylvania Halogen bulbs. $45. I did this for my wife's car and they look great. I did try some LED BUlbs as well. They are super bright but the beam pattern is choppy and scattered AT BEST. Went back to Halogens. Much Better.I will keep the LED for a different Car.