1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Adjusters Don't Work...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Rapid Dog, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ya know, I've read all the 'headlight adjustment' threads here and I went out to my '06 and tried adjusting them via the little white adjusters with an 8MM wrench. Guess what...nothiing happens no matter how many times I turn them nor which direction.
    Weird, huh?

Maybe there is something I just don't know....
    The car has Xenon headlamps and the leveler in the rear has been replaced.
    It's always had really high low beams IMO. Hi beam seems useless. :confused:

2. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ...reallY? No one's got a clue?

3. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ...hmmmm...

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The adjusters you reference are simply mechanical adjustments. If they aren't working, look for a mechanical problem: stripped threads, blockage, etc.

Tom

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Further, what does "Hi beam seems useless" mean?

1. There is no change in the beam projection when the dimmer switch is activated, or

2. Although the beam moves upwards, this does not help visibility of distant objects, or

3. ??

If you can be more precise when stating your concerns, maybe we can be more helpful. The HID headlights are quite functional IMO.

6. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The headlights work fine on low beam, albeit they seem to be pointed high.
    That said, I get alot of drivers flashing me.
    Looking at them projected on the garage door the right side is a bit higher then the left as well.
    Adjusting the mechanical adjusters with an 8mm wrench changes nothing.
    When hitting the high beam on the road, it appears they don't light up 'farther down the road' as I'd expect, like the other 20 some vehicles I've owned.

That shed enough light on the subject?

As far as stripped threads, kind of hard to see what's going on inside without dismantling quite a lot of stuf.
    Thus the inquiry...thought someone might know what's going on.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you position the car so that the headlight beams are shining on your garage door at night. Then switch from low to high beam. If you see no change in the light beam positioning, then you will know that the dimmer switch or the headlight ECU that controls the motors within the headlight assemblies has a problem.

If oncoming drivers are flashing at you then the headlight beams are not correctly adjusted - but you already knew that since you are trying to adjust them manually now.

I suggest that it might be time for a dealer visit, if you cannot find any obvious problems.