1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight "Aim" adjustment? necessary?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Oct 28, 2019.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, a cursed bulb went out. Halogen.

My body is a bit racked from an accident nearly a year ago and I am not able to do a lot of "torque, bending, etc."

The easiest way would have been to have my husband replace the bulb. But his forte is accounting, not mechanics. I wasn't going to pay the shop prices, so once again, I did it myself.

This time, the easiest way for me was to remove the bumper cover -- which really is not that bad.

But, after the fact, I happened to be glancing through my Chilton's Prius repair manual and it says that anytime you remove the headlamp assembly you need to align the headlights. And, it says "do it," but after you do it you HAVE to take it into a certified shop and assure that you did it correctly.

Well, I put the tape on the wall, went through the dance and they seem fine. Is taking it in for "official" confirmation what I NEED to do, or can I spend the cash I save on peppermint tea?
    kris.,

SFO likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    drink the tea :)

do they do a headlight aim test during the safety inspection?

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should be fine with the extra peppermint tea.

After struggling with my first set of bulbs, I put some food grade silicon grease on the o-rings hoping to make access quicker/easier.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Save. The quick-check is useful to make sure you haven’t got the bulb seated incorrectly, which is easy to do. If the pattern looks the way it should and the tape line doesn’t show anything weird, then you’ve earned your tea.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  5. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that like drinking the Kool-Aid?

No inspections here (well, they inspect "something" in the Portland and Medford areas, I think, but old cars are exempt. I think it's some kind of air pollution thing.....

Anyway, thanks to all of you. Going to stock up.
    kris
    upload_2019-10-28_20-38-1.jpeg

bisco likes this.