1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Aiming on 2014 Prius v lowercase v not an uppercase v model 3

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Prius In the Desert, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Prius In the Desert

Prius In the Desert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would like to do a small adjustment in the headlight aiming; it's a bit too low right now. Looked at the headlight assembly and saw some embossed items in the black plastic, looks like "U*D" and "L*R" where "*" looks like "direction of rotation" symbol. But could not find a hole that a screwdriver could go through to make the adjustment. Photo attached - hope it's somewhat readable. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Look in the back of the headlight housing for a bolt head with a serrated wheel next to it. Looks like this, located at center of picture:

1478913048067.jpg

Turn clockwise to lower, counter clockwise to raise.

Prius In the Desert likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you checked your owner's manual?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you look closely at the photo xliderider supplied, you'll see the sort of funnel-shaped guides formed into the plastic, pointed right at the "serrated wheel". They are there to guide the tip of your long Phillips screwdriver down to mesh with the teeth of that wheel, so you can adjust by simply twisting a screwdriver from above, without having to reach the hex head of the bolt.

Bear in mind the gearing effect on the twist direction: turning the screwdriver clockwise is the same as turning the bolt head counterclockwise, and vice versa.

But yeah, look in the manual, because it should also specify what correct aim is and how to know when you've got it.

-Chap

5. Prius In the Desert

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Chap and Xliderider, Many thanks for your response. The photo was helpful, although I have a Prius V wagon and the area around the back of the headlight housing is somewhat different. But I did find one adjustment bolt, it's horizontal, and I am not sure if this is for horizontal or vertical adjustment. Could not find a second similar bolt. Will have to do a bit of trial and error. Also, my Owner's Manual only addresses changing headlight bulbs, and does not talk to headlight adjustment. As expected, the Manual suggest going to the dealer to replace bulbs. No on that one. Again, thanks for your quick responses.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Both my Camry and Prius liftback only have the one vertical adjustment, no horizontal adjustment.

When you say the one bolt you found is "horizontal", do you mean that the bolt is oriented in the front to back horizontal plane? If so, that's the bolt you want to turn to adjust the vertical height of the headlight cutoff.

It takes an 8mm socket, or as previously mentioned, you can try a philips screwdriver to adjust.

Hint, when turning the bolt, I count how many teeth on the wheel rotate by. Then you can check the aim and adjust accordingly by counting the increments.

#6 xliderider, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  7. Prius In the Desert

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the bolt is in the horizontal plane. Will try to adjust tomorrow. Glad to have your input. Thanks again.