1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Flap Not Working, Procedure to Diagnose?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ebikeman, Dec 26, 2023.

1. ebikeman

ebikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    2007 Prius Touring with HID. Getting ready to convert to LED.

I have one headlight that works on high beam and low beam. The other one only works on high beam. I recorded my lights going from high to low and can see a little flap moving.

At the parts store, the guy told me, 1000% there is no moving parts in a headlight assembly. It just looks like it.

Went to the dealer and he said, absolutely there is a flap that moves. You can hear mine and see it. When we look at the one stuck on high, you can't see the flap move.

The HID bulbs are one light, it does not have different for high and low.

To make things worse, On a sunny day, about 30 yards away, you can see one assembly is very clear, like its new. The other one looks old. You can tell they changed one whole assembly. Problem is, the newer one is on the side that doesn't work.

I'm speculating that they replaced the old one that didn't work, and the new one doesn't work either. If that's the case, what would the problem be then?

Is there a way to get inside or a place to see what's happening to the flap? Fix it?

What would be the first thing to do, second, third, etc ..... to diagnose this?

I will attempt to add a video to this post. Look at the front of the wall that's in front of the light, at the top of the piece. If you watch, you can see it move.

December 26, 2023 - YouTube

P.S. Wonder why I had no problem putting a video in another post, but this one only lets me put a link?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's called the shutter assembly You can take one out of another headlight assembly and it should work You may be able to take you can take yours out and you might be able to lubricate it or see why it's not working You can pull all of this out of the headlight and just lay it up on the fuse box or put a towel on top of the headlight and set it on that whatever when you flip the high beams the shutter lifts up uncovers the rest of the bulbs so you get a wide open high beam then when you let go or put the lever back in the mid position with the blue high beam indicator off the shutter closes down I believe and produces your low beam cut off effect so it may be that it's just rusted or something I don't know I can't see it from here but I have removed the shutter assembly it unscrews it comes off the housing or out of the housing I think I have one laying over here on the ground but I don't know what side it goes on.

3. ebikeman

ebikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you. Wish it would get stuck on low beam. I want to do an LED conversion but need to get low beam working. "1000% nothing moves inside a headlight" he said.

Glad I can take that thing out. Can't see I can buy a new just the shutter assembly. If they bought a new assembly, how would I be able to check if it's the problem? Not sure if it's not getting a signal.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When you take the wires loose from the shutter assembly I believe you would put your test meter leads into that plug then sit in the car with the lights on of course they're not on in this assembly but they would think they were on and when you pull the high beam leave her back the shutter should lift up and then drop I would think it would be on low beam by default but I honestly can't remember exactly how it set up I know I took one out while I was at LKQ just to look at it and then of course I unplugged the bulb and all of that because I was getting ready to do the conversion that you're talking about doing now and that's how I discovered the shutter thing and I imagine the shutter can be purchased as a separate part if you look at the headlight breakdown for the HID. So that's interesting if that's the way it is so it's on high beam at rest The springs are lifted up The shutters out of the way and when you turn the headlights on the shutters drop and pull down and that's low beam and then when you hit the high beam actuator it hits a signal that breaks the connection or something and lets the shutters lift. Hmmmm

5. ebikeman

ebikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This problem is screwing me up in so many ways. I already bought the LED's. I had to get them before the holiday sale ended. I have to buy new assembly's. The HID's are way more expensive. I could get the cheaper ones, since I'm not using HID. Thing is, the other kind had three wires. It's hard enough for me to deal with two wires. To do the two wires into the 3 wire plug is to much for me to do.

I showed 10 people my video. All 10 say they can't see anything moving. Every single parts store says nothing in the assembly moves, dealer says I can't get just the part.

I can't drive out of town with my lights. Can't hardly see. I have LED's sitting here that I can' use. I need a new assembly, more $$$ I have to spend, the one that doesn't work, looks new, so it might not be the problem.

Feels like I'm trapped.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I feel like only bits and pieces of this are somehow coming to light or something this is not as complicated as it has to be I don't know about three wires versus five and all this kind of discussion we're getting carried away or something are you not able to look at your vehicle? Are you able to remove just one headlight assembly so you can remove the cover where the bulb and the shutter the thing that makes your high and low beam are I was holding one in my hand yesterday I had to put the same LED bulbs that you had to buy while they were on sale for some reason I'm not sure what you have going on I had all this out the other day so I'm not sure exactly what your problem is there is a shutter or a little metal thing that looks like the head of a dick if you will with a slit cut in the middle of it and this thing drops over your bulb filament and covers a certain amount of it and when it's lifted up it opens the filament completely to the lamp assembly and then when you close the high beam and the blue turns off on your dash this shutter drops down over the filament only allowing X amount of it to be exposed to the lamp assembly the reflector and all of that If you are able to pull your lamp assembly out of your car and unplug the turn signal and the 194 bulb that lights orange as a running light in the front flip that lamp assembly over lefty loosen the cover remove it you will see the bulb assembly with the big plug on top of it and that bulb is mounted that HID bulb is mounted in the shutter assembly when you remove the HID bulb by twisting the plug and removing it and then withdrawing the bulb and look in there with the flashlight where you just remove the bulb you'll see the shutter thingy this is the part that moves to give you high and low beam as you notice when you remove the HID bulb there's only one filament The bulb is on and that's it there's no high and low beam like an H4 headlight halogen bulb so there is the shutter that closes off what needs to be closed off and gives you a direct cut off on low beam That's a fact If you can get to an LKQ junkyard. You can go to an HID generation 2 Prius and take out the shutter or take the whole lamp assembly either one I don't do well with pictures here If you send me your email address I'll send you a picture of the part that moves where it goes in the lamp assembly you can look at it all right from my car and my pictures each one of those devices the bulb gets its own plug to get power from the ballast to light or excite the gas in the HID bulb or light an LED bulb whatever you're doing whatever you've purchased The shutter is only activated when you pull or push the high beam lever so it's not going to move or do anything until somebody turns the power on gets in the car and flips the lever from high to low beam a few times with you looking or holding the shutter in your hand and you'll see it lift up and down It's just a piece of metal on a spring. I hate to hear you're having so much trouble have someone sit in the car and apply the high low switch while you're looking at the light that works not the broken one if there's such a thing going on in your car so one light is going high and low beam and the other lamp is not on at all? Or is on and won't flip from high to low like the other side because you're looking at them when someone's flipping them from low to high?

7. ebikeman

ebikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I found out one of the clips was off. It sent the bulb a little crooked so it blocked the shutter from moving. Put it in straight and now it works.