1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Flash EV Mod

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by kdmorse, Feb 3, 2006.

1. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I remember the post in which someone detailed how to move the pin that controls the headlight flasher into the hole that controls EV mode for a quick and easy EV mod. (My OEM button is on order, but it may be a *long* time before I see it).

But now I can't find the post, and the forum search and I are not getting along again. Could someone who remembers which thread it was in point me in the right direction? I'd like to see if I can do it while waiting for my OEM button...

-Ken

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=5

It's toward the bottom of the article. You DO still have to run a wire for this mod.

3. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ah - thanks - that's what I was looking for.

Would it perhaps be safe to clamp-splice the new wire to the existing purple wire in the steering wheel, instead of unpluggin the existing purple wire and replaceing it?

Or would I have to put a few diods in to prevent any backflow, which would completely negate the idea?

-Ken

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure, maybe some of the electonic gurus have a comment on that.

5. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Success! I can now toggle in and out of EV mode on my new 2006 (4 days old) simply by pulling the headlight stalk (That's just so cool). It took about 4 hours, and got a bit tricky when the sun went down on me. But having done it once I could probably do it again in under an hour.

(I did it as documented, didn't try to splice the to together)

Major hangups included all steps relating to fighting the white flasher plug (I only got the hang of it when I was all done), and fishing behind the head with real fish tape, which I stupidly got caught on a bundle of cables behind the nav unit, out of reach. It turns out inserting the pin into the ECU plug far enough was quite easy, and the least of my problems.

A few comments on your instructions, including a couple of tips that would have saved me some time.

>>To remove the pins, you can use your paper clip to start the process of sliding them out, and then they just pull right out.

It's worth pointing out that in order to release the pins, you must press down the little metal tab, *exactly* as is being done in the photograph. Not realizing this at first, I fought for an hour trying to remove the two pins by applying pressure elsewhere.

>>You may also need to unclip the little hydraulic piston that keeps the door from falling open too quickly.

I think this really needs to be done *before* pushing in the sides of the glove compartment to release it. Otherwise, no longer attached, the glove compartment can pull the piston off it's inside connection and possibly break it if too much pressure is applied to the glovebox.

>> Next, grasp the bottom of the silver vent piece next to the glove box.

Fought that vent for over an hour. No practical advice to add, just cursing the vent.

>> You'll eventually need to remove the driver's side (far left) vent piece as well.

Never did get that off, never managed to get behind it from any angle to release the clips.

>> Finally, remove the smaller square plastic piece just below the passenger side vent--it pulls straight out.

This plastic piece does not appear to exist in the 2006 model. There's a gaping hole in it's place.

>> You'll now solder your wire to one of the connectors

I made the mistake of using 24 gauge solid wire for this, and when I was angling to insert it into the ECU plug, the copper broke on me. Stranded wire worked much, much better on the second round.

>> Pull out the purple wire from the flasher plug and insert your EV wire into the now open slot.

Properly removing the purple wire will require splitting the two rows of pins into their two separate connectors (which are snapped together in a stack). A thin sharp knife between the two pops them apart quite easily, making it possible to release the purple wire properly but pressing on the same spot you use to release the spare pins. Just yanking it out otherwise is not a good idea. It also makes it easy to ensure your replacement is inserted properly, as you can see the pins end-to-end.

If the car starts buzzing after re-inserting the flasher plug (as mine did) - it's probably because the door is open.

Many thanks for putting these instructions together, there's absolutely no way I could have even come close without all the little pictures guiding me. (And they gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling that yes, I was tearing the right part off my 4 day old car). Everything went back together with no rattles, no left over parts, and no external evidence of any modification.

Thanks, Thanks, and more Thanks!

-Ken

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad it worked out.

7. letsail

letsail New Member

Just joined today; as I'm looking to wire the EV switch on my '04 Prius. I'm leaning toward using the headlight flash; I've found the full explaination of adding a momentary switch; but I like the idea of having the change "invisible" as my dealer changes my oil regularly.... and not needing a ground. Is anyone aware of a set of photos and/or detail for the unique part of the installation?

8. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I didn't take any photo's, but there's really very little to it beyond the excellent directions posted for the momentary switch. There's already a picture of everywhere you need to go.

Make sure you're completely comfortable with all the steps involved before starting - ripping your car apart is a hell of a thing to do :)

Don't reassemble the steering cover after takeing a few pins out of it, you're not done with it.

Instead of running your new cable all the way to the left side of the car (where the switch would go), stop once you get to the steering column. This should be fairly easy, as when I ran it, it passed though the steering column on the way anyway, and I just reached in and grabbed it (after I had recovered from my fish-tape accident).

The plug that you stole the pins from, is really two identical pieces of molded plastic snapped together. One for the top (mostly spare) pins, and one for the bottom (mostly used) set of pins. You need to snap these two apart to get to the bottom set, containing the purple wire.

Note carefully which hole contains the purple wire. There is at least one unused hole, two wires over, don't loose track of which hole the purple wire came out of.

Remove the purple wire and pin, just as you removed the spare pins. (if you depress the metal catch with a paperclip, it should slide right out with little force - don't just tug harder).

Insert your wire and pin in it's place.

Snap the two plastic rows of pins back together, make sure you put the right one on top. When you're done you should see the mostly empty set of pins, and your new wire should be in the bottom, now inaccessible set of pins.

I personally chose to test it before reassembling the steering cover, vents, glove box, etc... When it worked, I reassembled the car.

-Ken

9. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i did this mod a few weeks ago. my only advice is that when you are disassembling the "stack" connector from the steering column, be very careful. the plastic is very brittle and i managed to break one of the tabs that holds the stack together.

also bear in mind that the lights-on headlight flasher switch is still connected after this mod, so at night you will be flashing headlights all over the place when you are entering and exiting EV mode. i've become kind of gunshy about EV mode at night since i dont want people thinking i'm pissed at them.

also, generally speaking its easy to hose your gas mileage playing with EV mode. i usually only engage it if the battery meter shows green (7+ bars) and disengage when there are 5 bars left.

finally, i wonder if the "real" reason the EV button doesnt exist in north america has to do with the 10-year warrantee period on the hybrid drivetrain. having had the car for a couple of months now, i've come to realize that the drivetrain computer's #1 priority is maintaining a sane SOC for the traction battery. i've never seen the battery get down below 3 bars without EV mode, but the first day i had EV mode going i managed to get the battery way down into the purple zone... i know there's still lots of charge left even when the battery display is empty, but i guess what i'm saying is that the SOC excursion seems to be much greater when you are using EV mode, and i wonder if this has any effect on the battery's longevity.

10. letsail

letsail New Member

Excellent thoughts; I really appreciate the advise.

11. letsail

letsail New Member

come to think about it; I'm surprised the momentary still works to flash your lights; since the purple wire is no longer being used (and I assume you cover the end with electrictians tape and tuck it away) what functionality is lost? the purple wire used to have a purpose, didn't it?

12. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are two seperate flashing functions:

A) When your Headlights are *off*, and you pull the stalk, it flashes your high beams on/off

B) When your Headlights are on low, and you pull the stalk, it flashes your lights high/low.

For reasons that are beyond me, these two functions are controlled by two seperate signal wires. The purple wire only effects function A).

When done...

If your lights are OFF: Pulling the stalk attempts to enter/exit EV mode, and does nothing with your headlights.

If your lights are LOW: Pulling the stalk attempts to enter/exit EV mode, and flashes your high beams.

-Ken

13. glenk

glenk Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just installed the mod today.
    Biggest problem, neighbor comes by and starts talking to me about my new Prius right in the middle of trying to put the pin in the ECU connector. Didn't get back to work for 20 minutes.

Working with the headlight flasher switch wasn't too bad. I actually have a Coastal Tech EV mod assembly in hand but I decided that I would use my cruise control switch more for it's true function, so I changed to the headlight flasher option.

The pin removed from the headlight flasher switch is not exactly like the pin provided by Coastal Tech. It's larger and when I used it, it had difficulty going in but it went in.

This leads to the question, if I had to remove the EV mod (for warranty reasons) would the pin be able to be removed? Has anyone done this?

14. jeneric

jeneric New Member

I should have read your post first. I got those out okay, but when taking out the purple wire wittout pressing down, I pulled so hard that the metal tab when through the plastic and starting sticking up through it.

15. jeneric

jeneric New Member

Okay, I guess I was impatient. Flashing the brights while the lights are on does cancel ev mode. The only difference is the brights do actually flash when the lights are on. Wonder how often we'll find ourselves in ev mode accidentally.

16. the fish

the fish Member

Thanks for all the good tips on this thread and to Evan for writing the instructions.

Did the headlight flasher install tonight. Everything worked fine. I struggled with passing the wire behind the dash. I used a single strand wire (from CAT5 wire) which crimped just fine into the pins. However, it snagged while pulling across and wouldn't work. So I cut the end of the wire off and attached a spare pin. Then all worked fine.

I thought there is supposed to be a beep when engaging ... none for me but I do get the 3 beeps when it disengages.

I would like to install pin to map button on steering wheel rather than headlight flasher. My 2006 #5 has the map button but no NAV. So the button does nothing ... for now. Any ideas on what pin that may be?

17. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I thought there is supposed to be a beep when engaging ... none for me but I do get the 3 beeps when it disengages.

Nope, no beep on entering EV mode.

If you successfully enter EV mode, the MFD will switch to the Energy display, and that's the only indication you get. If you were already on the energy display - you get no feedback at all.

If you fail to enter EV mode, you get a quick three beeps. In a 2006, you also get a message stating such on the MFD.

If you toggle EV mode while EV mode is already engaged, EV mode is disengaged with no feedback at all. Although flipping EV mode off manually will often cause the engine to come on immediately for a few seconds.

If the car decides to drop out of EV mode on it's own, due to low battery, rapid acceleration, or speed - you get three beeps.

-Ken

18. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed! That would be pretty slick. Unless somebody else can look up the answer, I'll have to wait until I get my hands on the wiring diagram to see what the button actually does, and where it is connected... or not.

19. the fish

the fish Member

Darrell, please post or PM me if you get that information. I am looking forward to switching pin placements.

20. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Not that I'm saying one way is better than the others (I'd really like the factory version), but the cruise control stalk still works as before with the Coastal version. If you hold it in the "Cancel" position for more than a couple of seconds (longer than you normally would if the CC was on), the EV mode engages. If not, nothing happens (unless you are using CC, then the CC will disengage).