1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight(HID) & Fog light issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ozarkretiree, Dec 4, 2010.

1. ozarkretiree

ozarkretiree Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My 2007 Pkg VI Touring model has been much better than I expected in all respects. I am at 96K miles and waiting to get the coolant pump fix installed. Most mileage has been coast to coast interstate. Comfort, handling, economy, utility and overall performance exceed the car's reputation, IMHO.

I do have some minor issues with headlights. First of all, the fog lights should work with only the parking lamps on as the HIDs on low beam wash out the fog lamps completely in fog situations. Maybe they look cool, but they are not suitable for the intended purpose (FOG). Does anyone know of a hack or wiring change?

My car has a rare feature of auto light leveling based on the load under the hatch. When it rains, this feature apparently gets wet and fails to change the angle. This usually happens after a long trip with 2 bags in the back and the lamp holders adjusted to lower the lamps. When I remove the bags (raising the back end) it should go back to the normal lamp position but they stay dangerously low for several days (and nights), probably while drying. The feature tests okay while dry so my dealer won't fix it. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    There is one, I have done it, but the "fog" lights are not actual fog lights and are not capable of helping you drive the car. They are acceptable as DRLs and that is what I use them for.

Is standard feature with HID models, not rare.

Your headlight leveling sensor is probably failing. They are not all perfectly sealed and start to rust internally.

1.) Make appointment.
    2.) Load back full of bricks.
    3.) Leave sprinkler spraying inside left rear tire overnight, soak heck out of sensor.
    4.) Bring in car without bricks, with wet, stuck, sensor in wrong position.
    5.) Profit!

Other peoples experience with that sensor, includes description and various sucessful strategies.

1 person likes this.
  3. ozarkretiree

ozarkretiree Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks again. I thought the feature was rare because my dealer did not know it was on the Prius. But it is a bad dealership so I am not surprised. My car has been serviced literally border to border and coast to coast without any dealer issues except at home (Joplin, MO)