1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight (HID) Redux

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CarolinaJim, May 31, 2009.

1. CarolinaJim

CarolinaJim New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've tried changing HID without removing the bumper cover and by removing the bumper cover.

Changing the headlights from under the hood is for folks with the dexterity of a surgeion. Not me.

Removing the bumper cover just takes a few minutes with a 10mm socket, flat screw driver and phillips screwdriver. Most of the fastners are easy to see under the lip of the bumper cover or on top of the bumper cover. Two fasteners are in the wheel well and are easily accessed by moving the plastic wheel well cover out of the way.
    The wheel well cover is flexible and won't break in warm temperatures...probably not so flexible when cold.

On the top side of the bumper cover, three fasteners on the top pop out using the flat screwdriver. Two fasteners, rubber plugs come out with the Phillips screw driver.

The bumper cover unclips and the process is fairly intuitive. Don't take it all the way off, just move it forward and it will bend down and slightly away from the car. Watch out for the rear portions of the bumper cover scratching the fender paint as the bumper cover is moved forward and rotated up.

Once the cover is removed the headlight lens assemblies are easily freed by removing three bolts. Removing the bottom bolt will required bending the flexible bumper cover out of the way slightly. All the lens bolts look the same. Once the bolts are removed the headlight assembly with wiring attached is very easy to work with...simple.

Everything is in clear view for removal and replacement.

Takes about 30 minutes for both headlights. I purchased my new pair of HIDs on Ebay for $49

2. ThePackage

ThePackage New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For all of us who have no reference materials, did you take any pictures showing these fasteners? It would be a big help.

3. CarolinaJim

CarolinaJim New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't have the manual either. Sorry no pictures....maybe next time.

The top fastners are easy to see on the top part of the bumper cover.

The fastners on the bottom of the bumper cover are all visible and run along the lower edge of the bumper cover.

The only hidden fasteners require the flexible wheel well liner to be pushed aside. They are vertiical and can be found at the seam between the metal fender and the bumper cover right where the seam intersects the wheel well.

The three fastners on each light assemble can be found at the rear of the assembly toward the firewall, on the radiator side of the assembly and on the outboard lower front side of each assembly.